New firmware (9.4) for old device, interesting

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 620
Today I found that there is a new firmware update for my GO 740. This is very odd because usually TomTom stop support old device when they discontinues. I wonder what they have change

Change log found:

Version 9.400
GO Classic, ONE, ONE-S, XL 335 LE/ SE/SE-TM, XL 350, XXL 550, START 40/ 45/ 50/ 55, GO 920, 720, GO 730, 930, 630, RIDER, RIDER2, ONE XL, ONE XL S, GO 300, GO 740 LIVE, EASE, ONEv3/ 3rd edition, ONEv2/ new edition)
  • All supported devices now have an improved status bar with different tabs similar to most recent devices, and a clearer indication of the speed limit.
  • The Speed Cameras service has the following improvements:
    • You are now warned about speed cameras with new, clearer icons.
    • You can now report and delete speed cameras with one touch.
    • You can now confirm that a speed camera is stillthere.
    • When driving in an average speed check zone, your average speed is now displayed.
  • If you have a LIVE device and a valid subscription, speed camera locations, both fixed and mobile, are now delivered over-the-air.
  • We have improved the explanation about the data you share with TomTom, and the settings required for you to give permission and share data from your device. *
  • TomTom Buddies and sending and receiving files from your device using Bluetooth are no longer supported.
  • The TomTom HD Traffic receiver is also no longer supported. The receiver was only available in the Netherlands. When downloading this software, the TomTom HD Traffic receiver will no longer be compatible with the device. If you want to continue using the HD Traffic receiver, you must not download this software.
  • GO 520/720/920: if you download a new map after installing this update you will be upgraded to a map that supports addresses in Greek and Russian.
  • If you use your device at about the same time every day your device will find your current location faster when you first start your device. This improvement is for all compatible devices exceptes the GOx20 and GOx30 devices, and LIVE devices which get QuickGPSfix over the air.
  • Various performance improvements and bug fixes have been implemented.
* You can find more information about how we safeguard your data at www.tomtom.com/yourdata.

Last edited:
Odd indeed, but very real. It seems that TomTom had not abandoned us entirely, and that some fixes had been found over time .. but the big issue was that the legal department wanted this included for all users as a corporate CYA:

"We have improved the explanation about the data you share with TomTom, and the settings required for you to give permission and share data from your device."

So we wound up getting the benefit of a release that otherwise might never have come to us.

My hope on my units is that it is now no longer necessary to use Clear Route at the end of each journey in order to keep these things from rebooting shortly after startup - something that happens fairly frequently for me with the previous code.

I realized that the red light camera has been removed after the update. Only speed camera left.

Also, on the first start up, it will explain you in detail what information TomTom will collect. Part of it said that the data could be for government usage. Umm I wonder what that mean

And, one change I notice is that when you are driving above the speed limit (of course on the road where TomTom has the speed limit data), the entire left status bar will become red instead of just the speed part.

Red light cameras should not have disappeared. I'll have to take a look at that. If you have the safety cam (both red and speed) subscription, this should be updated automatically over the air now for your Live unit, rather than waiting for connection to your PC.

Since this is a brand new Navcore release that (in one version or another) will be hitting all models as far back as the original ONE units, I'm going to move this thread over to the Navcore section in a bit.

After the update, the report safety camera become report speed camera, and inside live services menu --> safety camera, only speed camera option is left.

My hope on my units is that it is now no longer necessary to use Clear Route at the end of each journey in order to keep these things from rebooting shortly after startup - something that happens fairly frequently for me with the previous code.

Yes, my 740 no longer reboots at startup like it used to :)

Just ran a demo, and all of the usual red light cam indicators are fine on my unit.

After the update, the report safety camera become report speed camera, and inside live services menu --> safety camera, only speed camera option is left.
They are consolidated under one name now, but are still reported and shown separately. If, for example, you click on "Report speed camera", you will find five different options for reporting:

"Fixed camera" (for speed),
"Speed trap" (for non-camera but frequently used locations),
"Red light camera",
"Toll booth camera" and
"Other camera".

Maybe I need to update the database again after the application update.
The reason I am confuse is because there is a known red light camera on my way to school(which I am in right now) and it is not displayed. When I was trying to report it again(in case it is missing) it only shows report speed camera option.

I wonder if this is just a change in the name of the file, not a change in the content. I seem to recall something about issues with TomTom using the phrase "Safety cameras", although that is no guarantee that they have changed only the name.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

I seem to recall something about issues with TomTom using the phrase "Safety cameras"...
Carefully and cleverly stated, et :tape2:

I wasn't party to the discussion on the Nav2 side, but they may well have still been mulling that one over before release. I recall recommending "Revenue generation device" at some point, but that didn't seem to gain any traction with the folks back in NL :lol:

While the unit should reboot itself, it's always recommended - and sounds like it resolved the problem. Good deal.

Thanks. Another changes that I notice
The quick menu has been moved slightly lower.
Also, when you pass through(or getting close) to a red light camera, the quick menu will change to a red light camera icon. If you tap on it, it will ask you to either confirm or denied the camera location. Much easier than previous firmware.

Umm I just realize that after the 9.4 update, the voice breakup start again

"There is another route (I press ok) ...... that is ...... 10 minutes faster ...... do you want to ...... take that route?"
It also happen on the instruction too, but the breakup is only like 1 - 2 seconds apart

A 9.4 update story...

Recently purchased another year of map updates. Then got the 9.4 update today.

I don't use the GPS that often, so I wasn't able to use it after the map update, but before 9.4 was applied. So I can't determine whether my good fortune below was due to the map update or 9.4

So when I used it today, the 1st thing I noticed is that my USB RDS-TMC is back in business.

Flashback 2008... I bought a GO930T - it came with a RDS-TMC receiver but not the USB type. Used the stock receiver for a few months until I got a USB RDS-TMC receiver. I then gave away the orig RDS-TMC receiver to a friend. It worked with his device (GO930) so he's happy. AFAIK, it still works - must be a lifetime subscription.

Reason I got the USB receiver was I wanted just 1 cable for charging and traffic - which the USB receiver provides and which I promptly hid under the dash (modded my Canadian Suzuki SX4 to use the TT in combination with a popup dash compartment designed for a Garmin - the US SX4s came with the popup dash with the Garmin inside)

The USB RDS-TMC died after a year - not a lifetime subscription. I didn't mind renewing the subscription but by that time, TT is no longer renewing subscriptions. The alternative was to buy a new receiver - so wasteful. So I resigned to getting a message that I have to renew my RDS-TMS subscription every time I used my TT.

9.4 zapped away the message and the receiver is now working as intended. Went on a trip today and got the traffic updates just fine.

I hope it is not an "undocumented" feature that TT will just take back. If they do take it back, at least bring back the option to renew the RDS-TMC subscription.

As it is, my brand loyalty to TT is now restored. My 4 year old device is now good as new.

BTW, I used to have issues with Bluetooth causing my device to die after 2-4 on/off cycles. Only cure was to do a hard reset (I have a toothpick in the car just for this). I had to disable BT to make the device useable. But then, I lost the use of the remote control.

More than 5 cycles so far after 9.4 and BT is working just fine.

I've heard that one of the things that TomTom's developers did when faced with a requirement for an update (for legal reasons) was to take the time to focus heavily on crash/reboot issues for some of the older models. Sounds like you've discovered one of them. So far, I've also been the recipient of one of the crash fixes - it's no longer necessary to Cancel Route at the end of each run to avoid spontaneous reboots after the next startup. Used to happen to me about every other time - and in the last two days, I haven't seen it once. Looks like they licked it.

I downloaded this update for my One IQ routes yesterday and I like the new features, but I don't like the changes to display.

The status bar, traffic bar and significantly the speed camera alert have a 3D highlight effect which makes it harder to see in my opinion.

Most annoying though is the new tiny font size of the speed on the status bar. Specifically it appears that when you remove the clock and leeway display which shares the same section of the status bar, the font does not resize like it used to.

Has anyone else found this problem with the Status bar speed display or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, my 740 no longer reboots at startup like it used to :)

I have just the opposite problem...since the app update mine seems to want to boot about 3 out of 5 times. I have the 740 Live and was working ok with 9.058 ......but since the update im being swamped with re-boots....any suggestions on how to correct this or should i just get my 9MM and put it to rest???? :):)

I have just the opposite problem...since the app update mine seems to want to boot about 3 out of 5 times. I have the 740 Live and was working ok with 9.058 ......but since the update im being swamped with re-boots....any suggestions on how to correct this or should i just get my 9MM and put it to rest???? :):)

My 740 hasn't rebooted yet since the upgrade to 9.400. What are you doing when the device reboots? Perhaps that might give us some ideas for a workaround/fix?

Ask a Question