map corrections - what % of reported errors are corrected?

TomTom Model(s)
GO630
if maps are downloaded quarterly, what % of the reported errors are corrected quarterly, all?

what manpower does Tomtom provide to research municipalities for changes or additions to local roads, 100's of hours per quarter?, 5?, 0?

if customers didn't participate, would the maps ever be reviewed and corrected by tomtom?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's start with the last question, and the answer is Yes.

In fact, they've got some pretty amazing ability to overlay actual vehicle tracks over their existing map database (remember that anonymous data you agreed to share?). If they start to see a lot of traffic in an area where there's no known road, that can get their attention pretty quickly.

As for what % of errors get incorporated into new maps -- they never come out in the 'next' map. It takes them longer than that to verify changes and get them into a build, verify the build and get it distributed in TomTom format.

In my admittedly limited experience...... never. I submitted a detailed description of a local map / voice guidance error over a year ago and so far, it is still incorrect. Very simple too.... the map correctly shows a righthand freeway entrance and the voice guidance says "exit left".

I also love it when the voice guidance will say "stay in the right lane and then make a U-turn". You have to be on your toes.....

Paul

.. the map correctly shows a righthand freeway entrance and the voice guidance says "exit left".
Could you post the coordinates just before that happens, as well as the direction of travel.
(Easiest way is Google maps, put mouse pointer on the spot, right click then click what's here.)

Tomtom built a mapshare reporter website a couple years ago:
http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

While they have many tools for receiving map corrections, this website most directly integrates with their map analysts and is the fastest way to get errors fixed. They usually accept a correction within a couple days, if they have some corroborating data available (tracklogs, video from their mapping vans, satellite imagery, etc). If not, the report goes in pending status until they have something that can verify.

About 80% of my reports on that tool have moved from pending to accepted status, and it takes about 9 months for an accepted report to get pushed to Tomtom devices.

Other tools (eg: on-device submissions) do get adjudicated, but I find they are on a much slower timeframe, and you don't get a status update like the above website provides.

Could you post the coordinates just before that happens, as well as the direction of travel.
(Easiest way is Google maps, put mouse pointer on the spot, right click then click what's here.)

North bound M24 / Business 75 / Lapeer Road. See:

http://goo.gl/maps/g9yzU

42.689281,-83.240901

The freeway entrance is to the right and the display correctly shows a right exit but voice guidance says exit LEFT.

I was pretty clear about reporting the issue.

Paul

Man, this is one crazy lady!

I made a Demo up to where I-75 goes due west using a GO LIVE 1535 with the 915 NA map.
From the starting coordinates given by you, the route did not take the entrance to the right but went straight through to Championship Dr, made a U-turn and then the on ramp. Starting further south the route was still the same.
Only when I started as far back as W Lapeer Rd was the ramp used from the M 24 NB lane.
http://goo.gl/maps/KmsZ4

This time, exactly as stated by you, the ALG and Drive view route show the right turn correctly while the Voice guidance calls out 'Keep left'.
I will make a report but be aware that even in the best of time it usually takes three quarterly map updates for matters to change.

M24-I75_bad-Voiuce Guidance.jpg

In my time as a TT owner, which commenced around 2008, I have submitted six or seven corrections. AFAIK, Tomtom acknowledged receiving all of them. I think I received 3-4 emails a few months after a submission saying the mistake/correction was confirmed.

Man, this is one crazy lady!

I made a Demo up to where I-75 goes due west using a GO LIVE 1535 with the 915 NA map.
From the starting coordinates given by you, the route did not take the entrance to the right but went straight through to Championship Dr, made a U-turn and then the on ramp. Starting further south the route was still the same.
Only when I started as far back as W Lapeer Rd was the ramp used from the M 24 NB lane.
http://goo.gl/maps/KmsZ4

This time, exactly as stated by you, the ALG and Drive view route show the right turn correctly while the Voice guidance calls out 'Keep left'.
I will make a report but be aware that even in the best of time it usually takes three quarterly map updates for matters to change.

View attachment 4243
Wow that is even more bizzare than I thought it was. It has always routed me correctly.... just misdirected me by voice.

Any comment on the "stay in the right lane and make a U turn" voice guidance that I get from time to time? It seems to want me to keep right as a default, and some situations that call for an upcoming left do not override it.

Paul

Ask a Question