Live traffic not available after 5 years on Go Live 1005

A warning to those of you still enjoying an older but perfectly serviceable unit.

Got an email yesterday from TomTom saying because I hadn't used LIVE it would be disabled in two weeks time. I only use the TomTom occasionally with hire cars as I have in-built sat nav in my car. The email had a link to renew LIVE services but this didn't work so I rang TomTom. They suggested I log-in and extend the LIVE services, but the unit wouldn't take my password.

A second call to TomTom they told me that because the unit was bought in 2013 it had gone past its 'useful life' and LIVE traffic would no longer be available, though map updates would still be available. Apparently they'd had an email in support a couple of days earlier to this effect. They offered to extend my LIVE services by 30 days and to give me a 25% discount off a new unit.

This is bizarre and seems unfair. The unit is less than 5 years old but TomTom deems it too old to allow me to buy Live Services, even though they'll continue updating the Lifetime Maps for free!

If anyone has found a way of sorting this out I'd be interested to hear.

Have never heard of that before, and we've heard most of what happens.
Was Live EVER registered and used on this device prior to the email?
I can only imagine that TT is culling out all of the SIM registrations that have been unused. There's a cost associated with maintaining each, and if a user has never used it...

Hi Canderson, Exactly right, culling unused sim cards was the reason I was given. They were planning on de-registering the simcard. I'd used Live services when I first got the TomTom but hadn't used them for the last 18 months apparently (quite likely, as I'd been using TomTom on my phone on recent car hire escapades). The phone call stopped that process, or so they said, but then the website said I couldn't renew Live services because my device was 'no longer supported'. A second call got an extension of 30 days so I could buy another year if I wanted to. Not sure if I do though, as it's more expensive than a year's rental on the iOS app with pretty much all the same features...

A warning to those of you still enjoying an older but perfectly serviceable unit.

Got an email yesterday from TomTom saying because I hadn't used LIVE it would be disabled in two weeks time. I only use the TomTom occasionally with hire cars as I have in-built sat nav in my car. The email had a link to renew LIVE services but this didn't work so I rang TomTom. They suggested I log-in and extend the LIVE services, but the unit wouldn't take my password.

A second call to TomTom they told me that because the unit was bought in 2013 it had gone past its 'useful life' and LIVE traffic would no longer be available, though map updates would still be available. Apparently they'd had an email in support a couple of days earlier to this effect. They offered to extend my LIVE services by 30 days and to give me a 25% discount off a new unit.

This is bizarre and seems unfair. The unit is less than 5 years old but TomTom deems it too old to allow me to buy Live Services, even though they'll continue updating the Lifetime Maps for free!

If anyone has found a way of sorting this out I'd be interested to hear.

I purchased 1.5 years of Live Services for my Tomtom GO LIVE 1005 device on 8th May 2017 and two weeks ago it stopped working I have checked on the website and apparently my device is no longer supported.
Unlike you Colin, I used the Live Services all the time whilst driving, so a lack of use is not the reason they have shut it down. I am really annoyed, as the Live Traffic services are the main reason I use this device. There is nothing wrong with the device and it works perfectly well. It's another way of these technology companies making the consumer spend again on a new model.
Does anyone have an email address for customer services? I would like to complain and ask for a refund on the LIVE Services they no longer provide. The phone number seems to cost £1.00 /min and I'm not giving them sky more money!

Thank you for the reply, however, when I try to contact support, it asks which model navigation device I have and then asks for the first two letters of the serial number. My serial member starts with ST which isn't listed, so it won't allow me to progress any further in contacting TOMTOM Support.

I don't know if this still works Mon - Fri 0845 161 0009.
If not, dhn will correct me once he sees these posts.

I purchased 1.5 years of Live Services for my Tomtom GO LIVE 1005 device on 8th May 2017 and two weeks ago it stopped working I have checked on the website and apparently my device is no longer supported.
Unlike you Colin, I used the Live Services all the time whilst driving, so a lack of use is not the reason they have shut it down. I am really annoyed, as the Live Traffic services are the main reason I use this device. There is nothing wrong with the device and it works perfectly well. It's another way of these technology companies making the consumer spend again on a new model.
Does anyone have an email address for customer services? I would like to complain and ask for a refund on the LIVE Services they no longer provide. The phone number seems to cost £1.00 /min and I'm not giving them sky more money!

Try this number. ‭020 7387 5444. ‬ I wasn’t asked for a serial number as I got through. My serial starts ST too. Good luck. You should at least get your money back IMHO, and they might even reinstate your services.
I thing I found was that when they said they done it, it took a couple of hours for things to update on the server.

"ST" certainly IS a valid prefix for the device you own. That's the 8GB Bluetooth equipped version of the 1005 Live. If tech support can't buy into that, insist that they ask corporate for clarification, because they're dead wrong about that. Internally, that model's project name was the "Geneva 5 Live EU". So don't let them put you off.

I think TomTom have washed their hands of the 1005 Camper unit.

It was at the end of its "Production run" when I purchased mine, in 2015, and now it is no longer repairable and must be consigned to the waste bin.

I too, received an e-mail informing me that certain aspects of 'TomTom Services' were being discontinued for my device, so I guess the motto must be "Caveat Emptor" when buying a sat nav, or owt else for that matter.

Last edited:
I think TomTom have washed their hands of the 1005 Camper unit.

It was at the end of its "Production run" when I purchased mine, in 2015, and now it is no longer repairable and must be consigned to the waste bin.

I too, received an e-mail informing me that certain aspects of 'TomTom Services' were being discontinued for my device, so I guess the motto must be "Caveat Emptor" when buying a sat nav, or owt else for that matter.

Indeed, sorry to hear you've been caught by the lack of support. Next time TomTom make a 'for life' promise we'll have to remember that they make their own rules about life. I quite like the TomTom app on iPhone and at 17 quid a year for worldwide maps and traffic it's good value, but they STILL haven't launched an Apple CarPlay version, leaving them miles behind the competition. That said, I did use it this weekend in a hire van. I haven't brought myself to getting rid of the old 1005 unit but I really should.

I purchased mine, in 2015, and now it is no longer repairable
canderson will correct if I am wrong but aside of a broken screen, digitiser or battery TomTom's were never repairable and even those were not done by the company after the warranty expired.

During warranty, the devices were usually replaced outright vs. repair, at least here in NAM.
The sad part about a few of the 'bricked' units where the hardware is likely still OK is that they could probably be re-flashed, but I doubt that the company would be willing to do that, even if they could turn up a copy of the old firmware to do it.

Ask a Question