How to solve waypoints limitation?..

Hi,

I have a couple of questions on waypoints and itinerary files:

1. I need to plan rather large routes, where route cannot be deviated from.
In that effect, I need to be able to build .ITN files with a # of waypoints and this # can be larger
than maximum # of points allowed in one itinerary.
It would be great if TomTom could play multiple .ITN files in order I can define.
Is that possible?

2. Suppose I have a waypoint with LAT/LON coordinates and I put that point into ITN file.
Suppose also, that the map this point came from is not the same as TomTom has in
its memory (the small street is missing). Does TT device validates waypoints from ITN file?
What will happen in aforementioned case?
Will waypoint be missed without some warning?

What model do you have? Some newer ones have, at most, 4 waypoints and itineraries can NOT be loaded or saved.

Let us assume that I have a model which allows the Itinerary Planning.
Will I be able to play multiple itineraries in order, so I can build larger routes?
I just read in some post that 64 ITN files are OK to use in \itn folder.
Even if every file allows 4 waypoints - this gets me up to 256 waypoints in that folder.

Hi,

the problem is that NAV3 devices (connecting via MyTT) don't offer the possibility to add itineraries. Some of the NAV2 devices offer that possibility but not all of them do. Those who do you can plan the route using Google Maps or Google Earth with i.e. a software called TYRE which you'll get from the link below for free. The created itn-file will be copied to your device.

http://www.tyre.tk

Regards
Lars.

Thanks Lupus,

So, if I create few ITN files:

A.ITN
B.ITN
C.ITN

Can TomTom guide the driver first using A.ITN file, then B.ITN, and then C.ITN?
Is such functionality possible automatically (without driver doing anything special)?

Hi,

you'll have to select each route separately. The device won't continue with the second itinerary after the first one has been completed. So either you've got a device offering the possibility to add a complete itinerary i.e. created with TYRE or you've got a device not offering using itineraries.

In the second case I recommend planning the route from start point to end point and then telling the device to travel via as this adds the waypoints in between. You may also select a part of the road you don't want to use if calculating an alternative route.

Regards
Lars.

I think the guy has already said "Lets assume we are using a model that supports itineraries...:cool:

So...
Question 1. No you cannot "chain" itineraries together automatically. But there is nothing to stop you running itinerary #2 when you get to the last destination of itinerary #1.

Question 2. The TT device does not validate waypoints in the ITN file except when it tries to navigate to the point.
That works the same as any normal "Navigate to..." So if you have any TomTom model to hand you can try it to see what happens just by selecting some remote point on the map and selecting "Navigate there". If it's reasonably close to a navigable road it will take you past THAT point, but if it is a LONG way from any road, it MAY say "No route found". Usually it just goes to the nearest point it can.

Ask a Question