Easily extracting coordinates for a favorite?

- et -

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540, GO Live 1535, GO 620
Is there is simple and direct method of extracting the coordinates for a location marked on my XXL540 as a favorite? I have used the "Add a Favorite" function to quickly mark several locations while driving past those places, and would like to provide the coordinates of those locations to others.

However, the only technique that I have found to retrieve those coordinates involves a roundabout method that requires several steps. I suspect there is a much simpler method, but have not been able to discover that method. I would very much appreciate some advice on how to accomplish what should be a simple task.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Get poiedit from poiedit.com

It should open the mapsettings.cfg file in your map folder (where favourites data is kept) and show the coordinates.

Or if you need to do it on the device itself, does the XXL540 have the option to show coordinates on the "Browse map" screen? (I think it does!)

If it has, switch them on - Go to Browse map, tap "Options" at the bottom, tap "Advanced", tick "Coordinates.

Then you can just go back to Browse map, tap "Find", then "Favourite". Select each one in turn and just read the coordinates for it from the bottom of the screen.

Get poiedit from poiedit.com

It should open the mapsettings.cfg file in your map folder (where favourites data is kept) and show the coordinates.
Thanks for the input. I'll keep that in mind if I want to look at the coordinates of a large number of locations, but at the moment I'm just looking to get the values for a few places that I marked while driving past.

The technique that Andy provided for doing it on the unit works well for this purpose. For some reason I had not attempted to access the data by entering through the "Browse Maps" selection. That makes it quite simple (if the "Display Coordinates" option is active).

Or if you need to do it on the device itself, does the XXL540 have the option to show coordinates on the "Browse map" screen? (I think it does!)

If it has, switch them on - Go to Browse map, tap "Options" at the bottom, tap "Advanced", tick "Coordinates.

Then you can just go back to Browse map, tap "Find", then "Favourite". Select each one in turn and just read the coordinates for it from the bottom of the screen.
Thanks, "Browse Maps" was the trick that I somehow missed.

For some reason I had not attempted to access the data by entering through the "Browse Maps" selection. That makes it quite simple (if the "Display Coordinates" option is active).

Thanks again.

Ask a Question