Connecting car charger computer connector

For Go 750 gps

I wish to charge and run the device in-car without the active dock.

Can I mate the the usb end of the computer charging cable with the Usb end of the car charger cable with certain usb adaptors?

I will thus have a connection as follows.

1. Computer cable flat multi-pin side plugged into gps device.
2. usb end of computer charging cable to one end of a usb type changing adaptor
3.Usb end of car charger into other end of usb type changing adaptor.

Will this work???

Just get a car ciggy plug addaptor with a normal USB socket fitted and connect the dock to that it will be far more reliable in terms of a connection and make sure its rated at 5V with at least 1 amp rating - Mike

Just get a car ciggy plug addaptor with a normal USB socket fitted and connect the dock to that it will be far more reliable in terms of a connection and make sure its rated at 5V with at least 1 amp rating - Mike

I am not sure the chinese made cigeratte lighter to usb converters are good quality. that is why I wanted to use the original tomtom cigeratte lighter charger.

To lose a $400 device because of a bad chinese made adaptor would make my day really bad. Anyway why do they use all pins of the flat connecter in the tomtom device to make a connection to the usb socket on the active dock??

All they need is two pins - one for supply + and other for supply -

Do they use the remaining pins for some other function in the active dock?

And 1Amp is rather large for the size of contacts in the mini -usb connector

Last edited:
Antenna inside active dock?

Another question. Is there some sort of antenna inside the active dock for go 750?

Not so much an aerial but there is electronics than are used to enable the auto backlight day/ night switch and the line out audio options depending upon the type of dock connected, there is an accessory dock that offers RDS-TMC, this has an aerial wire external to the mount - Mike

... but there is electronics than are used to enable the auto backlight day/ night switch and the line out audio options depending upon the type of dock connected,
Mike, the low cost back up cameras sold here (CAD 80 - 100) are powered by the back up light when the gear shift is put in reverse. The camera broadcasts wireless to the included monitor.
Have you knowledge of a way to use a 930 as a monitor?
Cheers, Arno

Not possible as the TomTom only sports Bluetooth which isn't capable of the bandwidth needed for a 480x272 size screen at anything like useable refresh rates, also the TomTom only supports certain bluetooth protocol so getting it to display moving video isn't viable IMHO - Mike

Ask a Question