Compass Variation

We have two XL340s units and are generally pleased with them. However with both units set up next to each other on a desk the compass readings are way off, 194 S vs 214 SW with 3 satellites each. Any ideas on this discreapany? Is there a way to calibrate the compass?

If one was recently used in a vehicle and the other not, the first 'remembers' the direction the auto was facing when it was shut down and may point to a slightly different direction than the other that was sitting on the desk.

If you put both side by side in the auto and drive, do they both show the same value then?

Could not test both units together today in the vehicle. When they were both on the desk I turned them off and on but they still would not read the same,

The compass is very inaccurate, I have the arrow displayed on my XL340S, and I've found that it appears to have east and west reversed. North and South it does ok with, but I've noticed several occasions when I'm traveling the opposite direction of where the arrow is pointing. I figured it must just be another software glitch, and I rely on the electronic compass in my car.

Do a search on compass here and you'll find a million (well, that's a bit much :) ) threads on the subject.

The compass as of Navcore 8 points ONLY North. Period.

Lay your unit down flat and you may get a better idea of what I'm saying...

compass error

The compass is very inaccurate, I have the arrow displayed on my XL340S, and I've found that it appears to have east and west reversed. North and South it does ok with, but I've noticed several occasions when I'm traveling the opposite direction of where the arrow is pointing. I figured it must just be another software glitch, and I rely on the electronic compass in my car.

I have noticed the same problem with my new 540S World traveler. Downloading and installing updated software did not solve the problem. Have you ever found a solution for the E-W compass error ??

Did you read MY post?

The compass points North only. Period.

Lay your unit flat and you may be able to visualize it better.

Compass variations

I have contacted TomTom concerning the apparent compass "variation" in my XXL 540S and have received an answer from their tech support that at least explains why the compass behaves as it does. Their response:
QUOTE - Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support. My name is Sylvia and we are always happy to help.

I understand that you are unable to find the compass feature working properly as it was working in the earlier versions.

I humbly apologize for the earlier solution I gave you. Actually in our earlier application version the compass used to direct in the direction you were navigating that is towards your destination. This feature has been upgraded and set to point in a particular direction when you drive. that is the north. With the latest Version 8 software update, many new changes and features have been implemented with this update. One of which is that the Compass feature has changed.

The Compass is now shown as a small icon in the bottom left hand corner of the main Navigation screen and points North only. Due to these changes, it is no longer possible to point to your destination or direction of travel. Please rest assured that the compass display is working properly. With our new compass, the directional arrow will appear as follows:

* Points to the top when driving north, because north is now in front of you.
* Points to the left when driving east, because north is now to your left.
* Points to the right when driving west, because north is now to your right.
* Points to the bottom when driving south, because north is now behind you.

At TomTom, we take all customer feedback seriously. If the new style compass is something that is not to your liking and you preferred the functionality of the old style compass, please reply back with some details of how you used the old style compass, and some suggestions of how to improve the new compass. - UNQUOTE

I have asked TOMTOM to consider changing the application so that the compass, if selected for display, always indicates direction of travel. In the meantime, users of the XXL 540S can select the "direction" option from the status bar menu and uncheck the compass option. Hope this info clarifies the matter.

Ask a Question