Traffic, compass, icon

TomTom Model(s)
XL 340 S LIVE
I’m a new tomtom user. I bought a used “XL-340 TM Live” from ebay. That’s the model on the box. On the unit it says “XL LIVE TTS”. From the serial number on the unit, the web site says it XL 340 S LIVE”. Guess they are all one in the same? My Version is 9.4.401.862279.103, OS 1000 (1021, 2/15/2012)

I have a few questions.

I have the RDS-TMC cable. When I plug it in, it never finds a station with info. I think its because I live in Knoxville, TN and there are no stations that broadcast the traffic info. Will that ever change?

However if I press the right bar where the traffic info would be, it still will tell me there are no incidents on my route even though it never finds a station. That doesn’t seem right. It should tell me something like “No Traffic Data Available”.

Another item. My compass is gone. It used to be on the bottom right. After a recent update the info bar on the bottom has changed considerably! Now the MPH is on the left, the middle is “2D 3D” selection. And the right is route info. And I can’t change this. Is there a way to go back to the old info bar and get my compass back? “Show Compass” is selected when I do “Status bar preferences” but I don’t get a compass. There is a little pointer above the speed on the left, that may supposed to be a compass, but it never changes. Always points up. I really miss my compass! And it could have the option to let if be displayed as numbers for degrees or letters like NNE and the “graphic”, if it worked!

On last comment. Since another update I have this little circle with an arrow thing in it that moves. Right next to batter level. I can only guess that is pointing HOME?

Thanks

An XL-340TM Live means that it has both a lifetime map and traffic subscription (although buying used without the email address associated with the unit makes getting access to the map subscription problematic), and has the potential of connecting via its internal wireless model to get 'live' traffic, weather, Google search and other services. The device came with lifetime maps -- I would see if you can talk the seller out of the email address that was linked to that device. If so, you can continue to get quarterly map updates for free.

You are correct that Knoxville does not have any RDS capable FM stations. In Tennessee, only Chattanooga, Memphis and Nashville support this service.

Yes, it would be better to say "I don't know of any traffic situations on your route" at a minimum, or to say "No clue" instead!

The compass can still be brought back to the lower right, as you have discovered, but only as a tiny version of its former self. No, there is no way to revert to the 'front panel' other than reverting to the old code .. which might not be such a bad thing.

Speaking of which ... that circle with an arrow in it that moves IS your compass. So what else are you seeing that only points 'up'?

Thanks for the quick reply. I did get the email address and I have access to the life time maps. Nice feature!

I can't do an "Insert Image with this post" as I can't easily save the image to a website, but the TomTom Home image when I operate the unit (another nice feature!) from my PC has the same image. I attached a small cutout of the lower left side that shows the "inactive" compass, battery meter and this other pointer. I have 2 pointer looking things. They look different though.

Attachments

• Icon.JPG
    Icon.JPG
    1.3 KB · Views: 573
Here's my whole screen. Note the lower left icons. To the right of the battery and below the battery. Also TomTom HOME has what looks like GMT instead of local time

Attachments

• Screen.JPG
    Screen.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 423
The grey "arrow" in the status bar itself is not a pointer... It's just a static icon and is meant to represent the car cursor!
What it is trying to show is that everything to do with your current situation is now grouped in the left-hand pane.
Similarly, (when you have a route planned) there is a "chequered flag" icon in the right-hand panel which is where all the information about your destination is now grouped.

Does that make better sense? Think of them as just pictures to remind you what each section of the status bar is for.

--------------

The tiny compass is in the area of the main screen just above the status bar. I've only ever seen it on the left, so I don't know how you managed to get it on the right in the past.

I'm not sure if you were saying THAT one wasn't working properly, but (although too small to be much use) it certainty seems to be working correctly for me.
A lot of people seemed to get confused by what direction it pointed in as there used to be an option to have it pointing to your destination., but it ALWAYS points North now (so if you are travelling East, it will point out of the screen to the Left).

---------------

The "direction" or "heading" display that was on v9.058 and v9.061 seems to have gone forever though.

Thanks for clearing things up. I understand now. What I did have on the right was, as you say, a heading, which was nice and that is what I miss. Now it is like a true compass which has always confused me as to which way I'm going! But if you're walking maybe its better and that's what the developers are targeting. Don't say "gone forever". It could change again.....

It wasn't that long ago when "Status Bar Preferences" had two pages of options, then it went down to one full page, now it's only 4 items on 1/2 a page

Ask a Question