Advanced Lane Guidance on the TomTom GO 720

I just got a TomTom GO 720 and got the latest 8.300 FW and 8.15 map on it. Works great. I am pretty sure that I have the Advanced Lane Guidance enabled on it, but today when driving on the highway (Chicago area...I-90, I-290, I-355) I did not get the graphical popups as I was expecting. In the data bar that the bottom of the screen, I did get 4-5 arrows with certain ones darker and lighter depending on which lanes I was supposed to be in (which was nice). But the map portion did not change.

1.) With the stated FW and map, this should work on the 720, right?

2.) Is there something perhaps that I didn't enable? I thought I had it correct in the settings.

3.) Does it matter if you are in 2D or 3D map view?

Here's the TomTom link that shows the cool graphical screen with the paved roads and green signs.

http://www.tomtom.com/page/lane-guidance

Thanks!

ALG doesn't always show the static images. I've had several instances where the image didn't show up, but the arrows do show on the bottom of the screen that tell you what lane to be in. Under options I would assume you have "show lane images" enabled right?

If you go into your preferences and you see that your screen shows "Hide lane images" then your ALG is enabled. I don't know or don't "think" that 2D or 3D map would matter since it switches to a whole different screen anyways when the image pops up.

ALG doesn't always show the static images. I've had several instances where the image didn't show up, but the arrows do show on the bottom of the screen that tell you what lane to be in. Under options I would assume you have "show lane images" enabled right?

If you go into your preferences and you see that your screen shows "Hide lane images" then your ALG is enabled.

Geez, that was it. You know, I guess I read the icons backwards from what TomTom intends some times. To me, when it says "Show Lane Images", I took that as meaning that it was what it was set to do just that, not meaning "if you want this, press the icon to Show Lane Images".

Thanks!

Geez, that was it. You know, I guess I read the icons backwards from what TomTom intends some times. To me, when it says "Show Lane Images", I took that as meaning that it was what it was set to do just that, not meaning "if you want this, press the icon to Show Lane Images".

Thanks!

LOL.. Many people get this mixed up. Same goes for "Show more options" and "Show less options"

I finally got to see both the multi-lane arrows & a static ALG image, driving from Reagan National Airport through Washington, DC.

Previously, I'd driven in and around Baltimore, without seeing either on this 720.

I just got a TomTom GO 720 and got the latest 8.300 FW and 8.15 map on it. Works great. I am pretty sure that I have the Advanced Lane Guidance enabled on it, but today when driving on the highway (Chicago area...I-90, I-290, I-355) I did not get the graphical popups as I was expecting. In the data bar that the bottom of the screen, I did get 4-5 arrows with certain ones darker and lighter depending on which lanes I was supposed to be in (which was nice). But the map portion did not change.

1.) With the stated FW and map, this should work on the 720, right?

2.) Is there something perhaps that I didn't enable? I thought I had it correct in the settings.

3.) Does it matter if you are in 2D or 3D map view?

Here's the TomTom link that shows the cool graphical screen with the paved roads and green signs.

http://www.tomtom.com/page/lane-guidance

Thanks!

You can get ALG on a TT 720 if you have the 8.3 FW and 8.15 map?? I thought that was only available on the x30s???

No, all you need is v8 maps and Navcore 8 firmware (does NOT have to be f/w 8.3 and map 8.15).

Having said that, the ALG is not prevelant in all areas (not in ANY Canadian roads) and not in all areas in the States. Sorta trial & error as you're driving if and when you'll see it on highways in your areea.

No, all you need is v8 maps and Navcore 8 firmware (does NOT have to be f/w 8.3 and map 8.15).

Having said that, the ALG is not prevelant in all areas (not in ANY Canadian roads) and not in all areas in the States. Sorta trial & error as you're driving if and when you'll see it on highways in your areea.

I just registered my email address to get my new TT account and downloaded and installed the updates. I inadvertently installed the 8.3 without even knowing it. I hope I don't later regret it. I know you guys have mentioned the bugs. I hope it doesn't effect me but that's just wishful thinking.

Being that I'm in Los Angeles, CA, I bet you I'll get the ALG. Us LA folk usually get the good stuff first ;)

Did you make an Explorer backup first? :eek: :eek:

Pleeez......say "YES"

no :(

I do have the raw back up that i did. The only thing I have on my TT are the 40+ custom POIs. Those are easily replaced. Am I missing something else? Where would I be able to upgrade to the v8.10? I could just restore my TT and update to the v8.10....right?

There are no benefits for your having firmware 8.3 with only map version 7.10 ... and maybe some issues.

You are at firmware level 8.3 so, if necessary, you would need to downgrade, not update to 8.010.

In any event, first make a complete Explorer backup with what you have. Detailed instructions can be found here.

And if you need to roll back your firmware to 8.01, you can follow the instructions here

There are no benefits for your having firmware 8.3 with only map version 7.10 ... and maybe some issues.

You are at firmware level 8.3 so, if necessary, you would need to downgrade, not update to 8.010.

In any event, first make a complete Explorer backup with what you have. Detailed instructions can be found here.

And if you need to roll back your firmware to 8.01, you can follow the instructions here

Well, I won't be having map v7.10 for long. I plan to use the LMG soon. I followed your instructions and rolled back to v8.01. Thanks for the links with the instructions. It worked great. I even still have my 40+ POIs.

Should I redeem the LMG now or wait until the very last day (12/26), in case there might be one updated from the v8.15?

I doubt very much that there will be a newer map than 8.15 prior to the new year since 8.15 was released in November of this year.

Now.......BACKUP your unit's contents using Explorer now! Do Not pass Go. Do NOT collect $200! :D :)

I doubt very much that there will be a newer map than 8.15 prior to the new year since 8.15 was released in November of this year.

Now.......BACKUP your unit's contents using Explorer now! Do Not pass Go. Do NOT collect $200! :D :)

LOL!! Should this backup replace my RAW backup or do you suggest that I have 2 backups on my computer hard drive?

A different folder! That's the main reason why we suggest Explorer for backups. Cuz you can name the folder you want it in. Home's backup's simply overwrite the previous backup.

You're kidding, right? I just upgraded from 8.10 maps to 8.15 to get ALG and IQR.

They were NOT available in 8.10 maps.

Oh yes they were ....just not in Canada.

Also......there are plenty of areas in the States where ALG is not present, in 8.10 OR 8.15.

Ask a Question