Accesories for the New series tomTom's XLS, 520.720.920

Well I'm saying that because when it was put on my device(at the store), when I opened up HOME while connected to my PC at home, it showed 15940Mb and tonight when I connected to Home it read 15260 MB.I was asked to choose wich memory I want to use and that is where I saw that number....I clicked on and I could read the same (15259.9 Mb ) and nothing else.
Should I look somewhere else or some other way?

Yes .. pretending your 630 is akin to an external thumb drive, go have a look at the contents of the SD card. Let me know what folders have been created there, or what loose files exist outside of any folders.

Canderson is asking that you use Explorer to let us know what folders are on the device (they show as yellow) and what files are on the device that aren't in folders.

I sure would like to use Explorer to go and see what folders are on my device( in yellow) and the files that are on the device but not in the folders.
But how do you use Explorer to go on my device and find the folders and the files,(is it the cursor that I mouse around) I haven't got a clue how to,or where to go about it.I sure feel like I need to learn how to help myself.

Pretend your TomTom is a disk drive. We don't know (yet) what OS you are using on your PC, but you look at the content of the TomTom as though it were just another disk drive when it is plugged in via USB. It has the same sort of files and folders structure as the disk on your machine.

Let's assume you're using an older copy of Windows... you would click on My Computer, and it would show all of the disk drives on your machine (including your connected 630). Click on the 'drive' that represents your TomTom and you'll start to see its contents. If you were using a Mac, we'd tell you to use Finder to do this.

Hi Canderson
Sorry for my lack of comprehension last night,but I was dead tired.
Thanks for your patience with me. I am using Window XP
This morning I followed your instructions and got everything together.
On drive E; page there is blank nothing (15259.9 Mb usable) most likely the SD card with less than 16 Mb and when I check further it gives a rounded number of 14.9 Gb.
On drive F: this is internal memory of the 630 there is 71 icons like little pictures with odd titles attached like "mapshare up: " inst tom" etc etc
I hope this is all what is needed if not where else to go ? Yes the little icons are yellowish (folder picture only)

Last edited:
Before you start, I'd like you to back up the internal memory of your 630 (everything on your 'F drive') to a separate folder on your PC for safekeeping. Follow the instructions for "How to back up the contents (for app 9.x and earlier)". Having done that, we can get you out of almost any ditch you can imagine apart from broken hardware! Please use the procedure outlined here >>> https://www.tomtomforums.com/thread...-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/
To do that, you'll need your device connected and running. That will (usually) cause TomTom Home to wake up as well, as you have discovered. Just minimize Home since we won't be using it now.

Once you have completed your backup...

OK. Your 'E' drive is your SD card, and the 'F' drive is the internal memory of your 630.
What's missing from your SD card is evidently only the formatting overhead.

Now - what most of us here do is to keep our map(s), custom POI (and for some of us, our tunes) on the memory card and keep everything else on the device's internal memory.
To do this, and now that you're working with the files and folders successfully...

From the internal memory area (F), slide over these two folders to the SD card (E):
"maps"
"USA_Canada"

Once you have moved these folders from F to E, bring Home back up on your screen again and PROPERLY DISCONNECT your device using the little arrow icon down in the far lower right corner. Turn your unit off, disconnect it, and turn it on again. Make sure that your unit behaves normally. Now you're ready to go!

Negative! We do not really recommend the Home version of a backup, although it is better than nothing. If you click on that light blue text in my post, you will discover that it is a link to an article here!

OK fine I haven't done any transfer at this moment. But I have done the back up proposition on HOME without going any further . But I just cant get to that "control panel" they are saying to go to.

OK success, I have found my panel and checked and unchecked as instructed. But I have not done no back up or neither know how to do it trough that path.
Now I am after the "sliding " from F to E action . The only place I can see the files " Maps" and " USA_Canada" is in Work Station disk drive F on my PC

Yes - you want to move the two folders called "map" and "USA_Canada" from 'F' to 'E'. That's all. Place your mouse over the folder, hold down the right mouse button, and slide the mouse over to the 'E' drive. Then release the right button. Several options will appear, including "Move here". That will be what you want to select.

Once they are moved, then any future updates to your map will be made by Home on your SD card.

Ok Both "maps" and "USA_Canada" have been moved to the E disk drive or rather SD card ( I can see the file picture) but now do I have to go back to "check and uncheck" in the control panel and reverse what I have previously done?
Is there a way to know if the data transferred are not "corrupted" because I am not sure at all that I have been able to do the back up properly if at all ?
Would you wait for the next April update since March is almost finish, and they are $ 17.99 every trimester. Will I be buying the very last update that would bring my last map v850.2781 up to date.
I dont quite understand how it works.
Pierre

No, you can leave the invisible files visible - won't hurt anything, though you will see a few that you might not have seen before.

As for our style of backup .. same as mentioned above, only after sliding the 'F' drive over to a folder on your PC that you will make to keep things, you use "Copy" instead of "Move". Then repeat with 'E'. You can just create a new folder on your PC desktop and drop both of them there. You can then go in and poke around and see content there, assuring that this backup is intact.

We just had an update at the end of February, so another will not become available until late-mid May (they are quarterly).
Looking at the offerings today, I'm seeing (in $US) $79.99 for a brand new map for your unit (925 will replace 850) and either 3 or 4 quarterly updates (I'm not sure which it is) if you have a fairly recent map (they know what I have, so I can't tell if the price discount applies, or if the prices are similar in Canada). I just switched my TomTom location to Canada, and see the same deal. Since my map is considered 'recent', they offer me both deals (single new map (or) single new map plus 1 year updates) for the same price of CAN$79.95. Obviously, if you can get the combined deal at the same price (and not the CAN$99.95 price), the decision is a no-brainer. You'll have to tell me all you see there based upon your unit and how the web page responds to an 850 vintage map.

I do agree that if I get both the updates and a new map it would be super, because that is the price they are showing$ 79.99 but I cant say yet if its CND$ I haven't been far enough into it,I'll check that out when I finally know that everything is fine and ready to do updates.
For now I'm trying hard to move both F and E into a new folder I have created like you said, but right click or left clikc in the column on the left of the screen in My Folders I just cant make them get in and stay in that new folder. I've tried with COPY and cut & paste with no results.
What is wrong?

Another thing I have noticed. both on the F and the E drive is that the little folder icon about Maps and USA_ Canada are still where they were before I slide them into E drive ....weren't they suppose to go away in the F drive afterward ?
Please be patient, I want to do it.
Pierre

Here's another way to do the backup copy. Just click on the folder (for example, 'E') and select it with a quick left click. Right click and select Copy. Inside the folder you have created, right click and select Paste.

As to the move between F and E, whether they go away depends upon whether you chose "Move" or "Copy" in those first instructions. You only need them on the SD card ('E').

Now finally good news.
I succeeded at splitting "maps" and "USA_Canada" F drive and moving them in their entirety on the E drive, but their folders are still visible on the F drive.
I also succeeded in making a back up folder where F drive is complete. But in the same back up folder, for the E drive,the North America folder has a file called "brand" which is not present and after checking between the real E and F drive..."brand " is present so I dont know if its important.
I also managed to download and install "TYRE to Travel" basic I could choose the french version and to make use of Google Earth. I will have to learn that but according to their video it doesn't look too complicated.

To the Tomtom Map Update Services I sent them an E mail yesterday asking them which map I will get if I buy the $71.96 CND.full year update I provided them with the map version number that I have.
I haven't received an answer yet.
Have a good evening Canderson, your patience with me has been very much appreciated,I wish I could do something to redeem you.
Pierre

Ask a Question