920t died, had to get 740

so I had the 920 which I liked, especially voice recognition

I also had a three year gauarantee and the unit dies yesterday, went to best buy and they don't have any 900 series anymore, they claim it's not made anymore and I gather that's true?

if not please let me know and I will try to get them to get me one/ besides free traffic and cell phone services, is the 930 better then the 740 or visa versa?

anyway, had to get the 740 which of course does not have free anything, there's a monthly fee

me no likey monthly fee, especially since traffic was free on my 920 (though I rarely used it)

I know they are two differant services, one is provided by tomtom, one is provided as a public service, is there anyway to get the 920 traffic thingy going on the 740?

thanx everyone, in advance

Last edited:
You have lost the mp3 player, the FM Transmitter, The ability to use GPRS traffic via a subscription sevice and also the dual maps your 920 contained (Western Europe AND North America) also the storage space built in to the device has halved. I would have demanded a 930 or 940 (although these are only currently available in Europe but they do make them).

As for getting an RDS-TMC receiver working with the 740 you can purchase the mini USB style receiver and plug that in to the power socket of the supplied mount.

or

Purchase the round plug style RDS receiver and the accessory mount with the additional connections on it to take the RDS plug and audio line output.

or

Purchase the accessory mount with the built in RDS receiver if and when it goes on sale - Mike

Yes it will work fine BUT you will need the accessory dock with the additional sockets on it, the mount supplied with the device has no connection point for the older round plug type RDS-TMC receiver - Mike

Yes it will work fine BUT you will need the accessory dock with the additional sockets on it, the mount supplied with the device has no connection point for the older round plug type RDS-TMC receiver - Mike

thanx for your help mike

Last edited:
You have lost the mp3 player, the FM Transmitter, The ability to use GPRS traffic via a subscription sevice and also the dual maps your 920 contained (Western Europe AND North America) also the storage space built in to the device has halved. I would have demanded a 930 or 940 (although these are only currently available in Europe but they do make them).

As for getting an RDS-TMC receiver working with the 740 you can purchase the mini USB style receiver and plug that in to the power socket of the supplied mount.

or

Purchase the round plug style RDS receiver and the accessory mount with the additional connections on it to take the RDS plug and audio line output.

or

Purchase the accessory mount with the built in RDS receiver if and when it goes on sale - Mike

My favorite thing enhanced positioning is also lost.

so I had the 920 which I liked, especially voice recognition

I also had a three year gauarantee and the unit dies yesterday, went to best buy and they don't have any 900 series anymore, they claim it's not made anymore and I gather that's true?

if not please let me know and I will try to get them to get me one/ besides free traffic and cell phone services, is the 930 better then the 740 or visa versa?

anyway, had to get the 740 which of course does not have free anything, there's a monthly fee

me no likey monthly fee, especially since traffic was free on my 920 (though I rarely used it)

I know they are two differant services, one is provided by tomtom, one is provided as a public service, is there anyway to get the 920 traffic thingy going on the 740?

thanx everyone, in advance

May I ask what happened to your 920T and was it not repairable ? I realize TT doesn't repair them but I believe I read on here someware that there is a place that repairs them.

May I ask what happened to your 920T and was it not repairable ? I realize TT doesn't repair them but I believe I read on here someware that there is a place that repairs them.
the port to the unit became unstable and I had to jiggle to get power

I guess they could have opened it and fixed it but it was covered by their insurance program and they just replace it

they did give me some compensation in store credit for the differnce in price

the port to the unit became unstable and I had to jiggle to get power

I guess they could have opened it and fixed it but it was covered by their insurance program and they just replace it

they did give me some compensation in store credit for the differnce in price

Thanks for the reply ! I understand why you went that rout now,

Thanks for the reply ! I understand why you went that rout now,

had I come to this board first and seen what I was losing I would have waited with the faulty port and made due until the 940 was distributed to the states

in any event, I did get the differance in store credit and it is a store that I shop often

this unit is louder too and that's good for my convertble

had I come to this board first and seen what I was losing I would have waited with the faulty port and made due until the 940 was distributed to the states

in any event, I did get the differance in store credit and it is a store that I shop often

this unit is louder too and that's good for my convertble

This forum does have a lot of helpfull tips & information on it.
As for the unit being louder I believe with the new *.35 app all units arle louder.

Now only if they could do something about the brightness to getaway from the bright sunlight washout.

Now only if they could do something about the brightness to getaway from the bright sunlight washout.

I wonder if the washout may be due to the glass TomTom uses. Side by side to my Garmin 2610 (out of sunlight/glare), it seems my 930 is every bit as bright as my 2610. But get out into the light and, mercy, it is hard to see...
Bill

I wonder if the washout may be due to the glass TomTom uses. Side by side to my Garmin 2610 (out of sunlight/glare), it seems my 930 is every bit as bright as my 2610. But get out into the light and, mercy, it is hard to see...
Bill
It could be the glass ?? I know that it is a issue with all TT's. I have an older Magellan and it is the same, very good if not in direct sunlight.,but terrible in.

What I have found helps is to have it in night mode and turned up to 1000% brightness, this seeems to make it a bit easier to see in bright sunlight.

Ask a Question