920 troubles with freezing and rebooting

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920
Just back from vacation in Europe.
My TT920 unit has problems it didn't have before.
While away I was using the W Europe map on the memory card
1. One out of three times on start up it would freeze at the start up screen
2. I would have to wait and wait until it shutdown itself or I would do a pin reset
3. Sometimes while operating ok, it would freeze, and I would turn it off and restart it.

Last year in Europe the unit worked without problems. (Western Europe map)

When I got back to North America, I tested the unit with North America maps set, the unit froze again.

My current OS app is ver. 8.351
My current maps are:
North America vers 835.2419
W Europe vers 835.2419

My question is what should I do first to try to solve the problem?
I like to take the conservative approach in problem solving, even though it may be time consuming.
Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

Is the NA map also on a sdhc card? If so, maybe the card has become faulty.

You may want to make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Then reformat the unit (don't use quickformat), then restore the backup, again using Explorer.

You may want to make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Then reformat the unit (don't use quickformat), then restore the backup, again using Explorer.

North America map is on the unit -not on sdhc card.
thanks for the response!

Try the backup, reformat, restore method then.
I did a windows explorer copy and paste, and formating as you suggested dhn. I am thinking that it did the trick, as I have shut off and turned on the unit a few times now and it seems to be acting like it did before the problems I mentioned.
I did notice before formatting, I couldn't get a gps signal this morning, and after re-copying all the files, it took five to ten minutes to finally get a signal.
I have shut the device down a couple of times and now immediately get the gps signal like the good old days.
Am having a feeling that the root of the software problem was related to the gps signal. I remembering last week driving along and losing signal many times in wide open areas with no tall buildings.
I really appreciate your help dhn. You truly our a super moderator!!!

I have the same problem of this reboot on my 920. Support says its an application problem. I don't know. I reformated my unit a few months ago and it did not work. I guess I am just going to wait for the new application update and see.

Ask a Question