TT One v2 orv3??

Hello All! I am new to the world of GPS and considering purchasing a TT one mainly for the price. I can get one for about 160.00, and they have both a v2 and a v3. My question is should I go with the newer v3 with the newer maps, or go with the v2 with sd slot, bluetooth, and older maps? I understand that the navi 7 can be updated via TT Home on the v2, but what will the process be for updating the maps? I guess overall, I would like some advice from the experts regarding any info why one version is "superior" to the other. Thanks in advance!
Boss

I bought my ONE before the V3 was announced, but if I had had a choice I would have gone for the V2 because of the SD slot. Without the slot I couldn't have used my TomTom in Italy last month. No slot = a crippled device if you're a world traveler.

It all depends on what's important to you. None of the other differences between V2 and V3 are a big deal to me.

I agree with Three3, as having no SD slot really means you are limited to the internal memory.

I'm probably being biased because I own one, but the v2 is what I prefer.

Thanks for the input! Any insight on whether or not the v2 will be able to use the newest maps that are on the v3?

Digital-flex,
I appreciate all of your knowledge and help. Can you point me to an online tutorial that describes the process of transferring info to new sd cards, and any other tutorials you might feel helpful. Thanks again! I think I'll end up keeping the v2 and either returning the v3 or giving it to someone for Christmas.

Boss

Digital-flex,
I appreciate all of your knowledge and help. Can you point me to an online tutorial that describes the process of transferring info to new sd cards, and any other tutorials you might feel helpful. Thanks again! I think I'll end up keeping the v2 and either returning the v3 or giving it to someone for Christmas.

Boss

Sorry, I don't know of a tutorial but the process is basically copy and paste.

All you really do is connect your TomTom to your computer and copy the entire contents of the device to your local drive of your computer. Then copy that content from your computer to the SD card.

When you place the SD card into the device it should work.

There is no card included with the V2. Everything, including the US and Canada map, is contained in the onboard memory. The card slot is available as an alternate memory location, for use with maps like Western Europe or North America. Alternate, not additional. Put a card into the slot and it becomes the entire memory while it's there.

I thought the v2 had only 32mb internal memory? Aren't the maps larger than 32mb?
That's about how much is free for your use after the software, the maps, and the other mandatory stuff have used up their part of the memory. It's where your itineraries, extra POIs, plug-ins, and the like get stored.

There is some confusion here. The memory for map storage is completely separate from the memory the software uses to run.

To clarify, the ONE in question has 1GB internal flash memory. That is where maps, system files, POI's, plug-ins and everything else is stored. There is also 32Mb of RAM that is used to run the software. The more POI's you have enabled, the more plug-ins that are running, the less of this memory is 'free'.

An analogy would be that the internal flash storage (or SD card) in your TT is like the hard disk in your PC, used for long-term storage. The RAM in your PC is the 'working memory', used for temporary storage and calculations. It is the same for your TomTom.

Members online

Latest resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yoges

Latest Threads

Back