tomtomxl iq

TomTom Model(s)
tomtomxln14644
my tomtom, was working this AM, when I tried to navigate to a location, it froze up, I did an update, it said due to failure, cannot install, I did a reset, now it has a flashing white cross.

this has been a great GPS.

Ideas anybody?

Thank you.

Alan.

Try a drum reset by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds unless your model has a dedicated reset hole.

Thank you for your reply, I did try all of these things, the problem is, having the sites download the information, my computor blocks them, I have worked on this for 5 and 6 hours, do you know of any locations that fix tomtom products?

Thank you. Alan.

What site is being blocked??? Is this something that is happening when you connect your unit and Home tries to get your new firmware?

Sadly, TomTom has no repair facilities here in the U.S. All they do is RMA swap units that are under warranty. So stick with us a bit and we'll see if we can speed it up. The answer to the question above will be important since it's not clear what is happening on your end.

tomtomxl

thank you for your reply.
What site is being blocked??? my tomtom also tomtom home

Is this something that is happening when you connect your unit and Home tries to get your new firmware? this is exactly correct, an error notice comes on, it says, failure due to incomplete data transfer from pevious attemps.

is the a place where I can order a disc and load it onto my computor?

Thank you.

Alan.

No you can't buy a disk, but we can come up with manual software download locations if it becomes necessary.

However, lets try one more time with TomTom Home (don't bother with "MyTomTom" that software is of no use to you at all, it is for different models to yours).

Before you do anything else, ensure you can answer "yes" to the following question...
"Have you made a full backup of the entire TomTom memory using Windows Explorer, not Home?"

If you have, great.
If not, revisit the "articles" section for How to backup the contents of your unit to the computer.

Once you have your backup safe, then do this:

1. Go to Home's Download folder on your PC. You'll find it here:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\program (if you are using Windows XP) or
C:\Users\username\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\program (if Windows 7/VISTA)

2. DELETE anything you find in that folder.

3. Connect up the TomTom and use Windows Explorer to browse the contents (Close Home if it opens).

4. DELETE everything that is NOT in a folder. IMPORTANT - Leave all the folders alone.

5. Run Home and it should automatically download and install the latest suitable software for the XL LIVE.

tomtomxl

hello, my tomtom has logged on, then goes to a flashing red x both the tomtom sites will not download the info, it says it has been blocked, Unless I have another way of installing the update, I am stuck, I did call customer care, they basically said it is a throw away item, and to buy a new one. any ideas, thank you very much.

Alan.

Last edited by a moderator:
tomtomxl

It seems like it needs a manual software download, I did spend 3 hours at my friends house, it was the same reaction the site was blocked again, when

thank you.

Alan.

No need to quote the previous messages every time... :)

So can you confirm please that you have done what we suggested yet and
1. made a backup, and
2. removed all the loose files on the XL (leaving the folders alone)?

Now, I'm rather confused by this "site blocked" issue, especially as it seems to be happening on two different PC. Can you explain EXACTLY what you see, please?
Something like

1. I connect the XL to the PC and it shows as connected (I can see it in Windows Explorer) (yes/no?)
2. I run TomTom Home and it opens correctly (yes/no?)
3. Describe exactly what error messages you now see when Home sees the XL has no software on it.
3. Can you do anything else in Home? (such as view the XL's contents using "Manage my device).

both the tomtom sites will not download the info
Which "two sites" are you talking about? You do not need to go to any website yourself, home should download direct from it's own servers.

I'm guessing that Home cannot connect to those servers for some reason, but it's not at all clear from what you've told us so far.

tomtomxl

Good morning Andy, thank you for your mail.
The two sites are my tomtom and tomtom home
it tells me device updated, then says could not complete due to past failure, and here is the last thing it tells me below.
And yes it it does connect, and it goes through the whole update process, then failure notice, cannot complete due to past failure.

Thank you Alan.

ERROR: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80750016 [ttIDevice.hasCapability]" nsresult: "0x80750016 (<unknown>)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js :: anonymous :: line 1391" data: no]
in chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:1391
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:1391
.every(function(c) dev.hasCapability(c));
1. function deviceSupportsCapabilitySet chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:1391
.every(function(c) dev.hasCapability(c));
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/deviceManager.js:245
if (deviceSupportsCapabilitySet(dev, "HomeBackup"))
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/deviceManager.js:141
this._setTo(dev, this.getInstallLocationsForDevice(dev)[0]);
Time: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 11:49:41 GMT

Hello Andy.
I did reinstall tomtom home, when updating it gives this info

install to harddisk: cannot write this to file E: pnd navigator

finishing installation: not started because of earlier failure

Thank you. Alan.

I think that explains why you were seeing the same problem in two houses on two PCs. As far as I can see, there's nothing there to say that Home is not connecting. It seems to be downloading updates OK (to the PC), but the final installation onto the XL itself isn't happening.

There's no point in logging into MyTomTom, it simply is not intended for your model... Home is.

Can I have another go at getting you to confirm that you have
1. made a backup
2. then removed all the loose files on the XL (leaving the folders alone)?
3. Emptied that download/complete/program folder on the PC?

....all before connecting to Home and trying to get the update?

------------
Another test:
Thinking of the "install to harddisk: cannot write this to file E: pnd navigator" message:

If you connect the TomTom to the PC, can you add ANY file to it? (using Windows Explorer to do the copy and paste)

After this one last try, we'll see if we can come up with a download link for the latest version.

hello Andy, thank you for your diligence in helping me.
I made the mistake today, of buying a 2 week old tomtomxl as soon as i put it on the computer I made a back up, then it asked to be updated, it worked for 10 minutes then crashed, the new TomTom is doing the same thing as the old one, I have double trouble, and a pissed off manager.
It telsl me to create a new account for the new tomtom, and then says all info will be lost, and no chance of recovery at all, I have no idea on how to fix this problem, the new tomtom worked great on the way home, as soon as it asked for an update, it went crazy.

Cheers Alan.

Andy, where are you located?

so not to confuse things, tomtom no 1 was writing to the disk, but it wasnt happening, then it came back as a null from the server

Well, I think I might be flummoxed.
But it will really help us (maybe other people!) to help you, if, when you make each reply, you can answer the questions asked in the previous one.

You STILL haven't said whether you have
1. made a backup
2. then removed all the loose files on the XL (leaving the folders alone)?
3. Emptied that download/complete/program folder on the PC?

If you can confirm that you have done those things, AND it will still not update using Home then we can move onto trying a manual install of the software. But we can't do that if you can't get those tasks to happen.

To take things in reverse order:
so not to confuse things, tomtom no 1 was writing to the disk, but it wasnt happening, then it came back as a null from the server
That does confuse me.

Does that mean you tried my test of writing ANY file to it, and it was successful?
If so, what wasn't happening?
What do you mean by "it came back as a null from the server"?

Please can you write your replies as if you are talking to a complete novice, write down EVERY step you make and say exactly what the actual error messages you see are.
Any screen grabs you can make and post up will be a great help.

---------------------------

I really don't think we should move on to the SECOND machine you've bought yet, that will just confuse things even more, although I'm REALLY intrigued by where you say
It telsl me to create a new account for the new tomtom, and then says all info will be lost, and no chance of recovery at all,
I've never, ever, seen a message like that in TomTom Home. A photo or screen-grab of it would be great.

--------------------------

I'm based in London UK, why?

1. made a backup ........ a backup was never made
2. then removed all the loose files on the XL (leaving the folders alone)....no
3. Emptied that download/complete/program folder on the PC?.........no

If you can confirm that you have done those things, AND it will still not update using Home then we can move onto trying a manual install of the software. But we can't do that if you can't get those tasks to happen.

Quote:

tomtom indicated onscreen that the information was being written to the hardrive, then the last two notes were cannot, incomplete, due to ealier failure.

That does confuse me.

Does that mean you tried my test of writing ANY file to it, and it was successful?
If so, what wasn't happening?....... the site acted the same way, it appeared to write onto the tomtom harddrive, then the failure notice came on, cannot complete due to earlier failure.

What do you mean by "it came back as a null from the server"?.....this was on yesterdays mail, I will find this and resend.

Please can you write your replies as if you are talking to a complete novice, write down EVERY step you make and say exactly what the actual error messages you see are.

I really don't think we should move on to the SECOND machine you've bought yet, that will just confuse things even more, although I'm REALLY intrigued by where you say
Quote:
It telsl me to create a new account for the new tomtom, and then says all info will be lost, and no chance of recovery at all,

it was saying you cannot run two tomtoms on the same account, and to create a new one.
I am in San Diego, but from Liverool, so hello fellow Brit, I thought we could perhaps use skype, to resolve this.

Cheers Alan.

Thank you very much Andy

tomtomxl

Quote:

tomtom indicated onscreen that the information was being written to the hardrive, then the last two notes were cannot, incomplete, due to ealier failure.

That does confuse me.

If so, what wasn't happening?....... the site acted the same way, it appeared to write onto the tomtom harddrive, then the failure notice came on, cannot complete due to earlier failure.

What do you mean by "it came back as a null from the server"?.....this was on yesterdays mail, I will find this and resend.

Quote:

it was saying you cannot run two tomtoms on the same account, and to create a new one.
I am in San Diego, but from Liverool, so hello fellow Brit, I thought we could perhaps use skype, to resolve this.

Cheers Alan.

here it is Andy, cheers alan.

ERROR: TypeError: commitPage.disturbedDownload is not a function
in chrome://tthome/content/ui/task/update/update.js:40
Stack:
0. function () chrome://tthome/content/ui/task/update/update.js:40
commitPage.disturbedDownload(true);
1. function (true,true) chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttTask.js:268
this._deviceRemoved();
2. function (true,true) chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttTask.js:488
this._task._observerDeviceChanged(deviceChanged, locationChanged);
3. function (true,true) chrome://tthome/content/logic/deviceManager.js:370
observers.changed(deviceChanged, locationChanged);
4. function (true,true) chrome://tthome/content/logic/deviceManager.js:396
this._notifyChange(deviceChanged, locationChanged);
5. function () chrome://tthome/content/logic/deviceManager.js:210
this._changed(true, true);
6. function () chrome://tthome/content/logic/deviceManager.js:181
this._setToNull();
7. function ([object XPCWrappedNative_NoHelper]) chrome://tthome/content/logic/deviceManager.js:161
this.repopulated();

Time: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 15:42:14 GMT

1. I meant for you to make one NOW, so that your maps are safe if we mess anything up later.
2+3. Why not?

If you don't at least try the things we suggest, we can't really help much.

Moving on to a manual software install requires you to do quite a bit of shuffling files and requires #2 as a first step.

Andy the unit is about 3 years old, I do believe there was a copy made, but, the computer crashed, and there was no way to retrieve the info.
I am willing to try anything at all, I must have damaged the unit, by connecting it to the PC, right now the unit will not let me write to the hard drive due to past failure,
I have tried this about 12 times.
I have become paranoid, now that its happened to the new one I purchased, not to mention your time also, thank you for this Andy.

Cheers Alan.

Ask a Question