Sr. Citizen First Time Puchaser Quest's: How To Compare The Models ?

Hello,

Sr. Citizen, and first time purchaser questions, please.

Trying to decide on one of the Garmin's or a Tom Tom
for my car.

With all the possibilities, it seems worse than actually buying a car.

On the Garmin site, they give you the option of clicking a box for the features you want, and then the page is sorted showing what models have them.

You can also compare up to 4 models side by side which is very helpful.

Tom Toms site doesn't seem to offer any of this.
It's quite a task to go thru each Series, and look at the models in it.

Am I missing something ?
Any way to see more or less the way Garmin does it ?

What I want is a unit for $ 150 or less, with the following features as a minimum:

5 inch display
Spoken directions
Lane Assist
Junctions, Intersections, and Signs shown
Reasonably current model
Proven model & software; proven to work (well)

Pretty much what is considered as basic these days, I think.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

If you can still find a XXL 540 it would be your best bet. It has a 5" screen, spoken directions, lane assist, everything you want basically. I've had one for over a year and it works very well. It isn't the newest model, but it has more features and doesn't have the bugs that the newest products from TomTom have.

The newer XXL 550 model also does everything you want, but doesn't have any of the extra features that the 540 offers and is often as expensive (or even more).

It's currently $89.99 on Amazon: Amazon.com: TomTom XXL 540S 5-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator: Electronics

You can also get the 540TM which includes lifetime map updates and traffic updates. It's currently $119.99 on Amazon:
Amazon.com: TomTom XXL 540TM 5-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator (Lifetime Traffic & Maps Edition): Electronics

Last edited:
From OP: Thanks

Hi,

Just wanted to say a quick thanks again for all the great info. and suggestions.

Just ordered a XXL 540 TM from Amazon, per suggestion.

Sounds like just what I want.

Will let you know how I find it, after I get it and play with it for a while.

Thanks again,
Bob

When you first get the unit, before doing anything else, make an Exployer, not Home backup of your unit's contents.

If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

**IMPORTANT**

Since you got the 'M' model (lifetime maps), you MUST activate the code for lifetime maps at tomtom.com.

You go there and register the unit using an email address and password. In the screen at tomtom.com, on the right side, is a green button labelled MyTomTom. One of the menu options there is 'Activation code'.

You find the activation code on a piece of paper in the box of materials that comes with the TomTom unit. So, be careful. Look carefully for this piece of paper.

The 'T' (lifetime traffic) doesn't need activation, just plug the combo rds-tmc antenna/car charger.

Ask a Question