IE 8 vs Firefox

I find that when I try to sign in to this forum with IE8, I keep returning to the sign-in page.
However, if I switch to Firefox, and I sign in, I am taken to the forum.
Would anyone know why I cannot access this forum when using IE 8?

Thank you
Alice

Interesting. IE8 is still beta, is it not?

Anyway, I'll let the admin of this site know.

Alice, any reason that you want to use IE ? Try Chrome, it's blinding fast (Firexfox 4 is also very fast). I am using Firefox beta 9 right now to browse this forum.

Last edited:
Alice, any reason that you want to use IE ? Try Chrome, it's blinding fast (Firexfox 4 is also very fast). I am using Firefox beta 9 right now to browse this forum.

Whole family has always used IE8, including grandchildren, etal.
We would not like to advise them all now to switch to FireFox, etc.

My apologies. I don't know what I was thinking in my previous post when I referred to IE8 as beta. I meant IE9.

I really don't know what to tell you about the problems you're having with IE8 and this site. I use that version here with no problems.

Have you cleaned your cache, temporary internet files and all that stuff and then rebooted your computer?

Or.............when you first come to this site, click on the 'register' menu item at the top. Does it then say something like 'according to our records you're registered as alicz?'

Just to update, the site seems to work OK for me in IE8.

That browser has a history of rendering stylesheets and implementing cookies quite poorly so depending upon the installation the issue could be related to user settings mismatch, or (more likely) just poor browser performance.

For those interested, ranked by stability and website rendering my top 5 browsers are (in order):

1. Chrome (v fast)
2. Firefox 3 and above (slower than Chrome, but great)
3. Opera (the best mobile browser)
4. Safari (Slightly too unstable)
5. IE 6 and above (not great)

Due to the tools you can get with Firefox i actually use Firefox with a Chrome skin at work and Chrome at home.

What is the "customisability" like for Chrome, billybisme?

I've always loved the way you can use add-ons with Firefox to tweak it to your personal taste, but I'm getting seriously hacked off with it these days.

Strangely enough, many of the add-ons I use are to return it to behaving like it USED to before they "improved it", but fewer and fewer are working properly now.

Jayzus!

The very first thing I saw when I wet to the chrome web-store link was an add-on for "Fully-featured multi-track audio editing, right in your browser". (I'm a sound man by trade)

Seriously impressive.... Maybe time to put a toe in the water.

I didn't have a good start!

First thing I wanted to do was to get a drop-down list of Bookmarks rather than a Bookmarks bar.

I Googled it and found posts on the http://www.chromeplugins.org forums telling me how to add " --bookmark-menu" to the end of the "Target" text in the shortcut I use to start Chrome.

But I just can't make it work.
So I registered on their forum, posted a question about it and then logged out.

Now, (this seems ridiculous!) it only recognises me as a guest and insists I need to register, I can't find a "Log in" box or link anywhere!

If I fill in the form it keeps presenting me with, it says that username/email address etc. are already taken (surprise, surprise!)

Tomorrow is another day...

Ask a Question