XL2 IQ Routes Edition - Europe 42

Hiya,

I bought the above model last week, thinking it's about time I had one as it isn't really safe reading a map whilst driving...

At the moment I wish I'd never bothered. I got one last week and sent it back and asked for a replacement, which came today. And it's doing similar things:

The majority of the time I am not getting any warning about upcoming junctions when I need to turn off. To me, the voice not working effectively defeats the object of not looking at the map when I am driving.

When it does give me voice instructions I'm getting things like:

"In 200 yards" <<< in 200 yards do what?
"Turn left" <<< the map is showing to turn right.

Everything is set as it came. The first one I plugged into the computer straight away and it updated, and I'm having the same problem with the second one which hasn't been connected to the computer.

I basically have until Sunday to test it out, then send it back as being unsuitable and unusable. I shouldn't have to travel out of the city to try it, but I am going to have to I think, though if I can't get a decent signal here then I don't see the point.

Any help would be greatly received even if it is send it back and get a Garmin :)

Thanks

Ellie
Leeds
drives a Hyundai if that helps!

Do you have a computer voice selected . our model does have text to speech, I believe.

Is there another computer voice you can choose from?

In the clipped instruction 'in 200 yards', what does a recorded voice say?

Have you tried a reset on the unit? Hold the power button for about 10 seconds if that model does not have a dedicated reset hole.

Is there another computer voice you can choose from?

In the clipped instruction 'in 200 yards', what does a recorded voice say?

Have you tried a reset on the unit? Hold the power button for about 10 seconds if that model does not have a dedicated reset hole.

I will try another voice, thanks. The reason I bought this one was because of all the 'features' it has, so speaking road names etc, so if I have to change it to a voice where this doesn't happen then I perhaps should think again.

I tried a full reset on the last one I had and it didn't make the slightest difference. My friend with her Navman was told to avoid French cars as they can affect the sat nav but I don't know if this is fiction.

Last time I looked, a Hyundai (which I have as well) is NOT French! :D

I don't know whether this would help at all but if you ininstall Kate from the unit using Home's Manage my device-->device tab-->voices.

And then download and reinstall it????

Last time I looked, a Hyundai (which I have as well) is NOT French! :D

I don't know whether this would help at all but if you ininstall Kate from the unit using Home's Manage my device-->device tab-->voices.

And then download and reinstall it????

Nooooo, I know Hyundai isn't French lol I was using it as an example!

I'll try with another voice a bit later on. I'm not going now as it's rush hour but I will check, then try this.

Everyone I know doesn't understand why I am having this problem. My friend said the signal in Leeds (UK) can be dodgy sometimes but no one else I know, whether they have a Garmin, Navman on Tomtom have ever had this problem.

Maybe the satnav just doesn't like me...!

The issue with certain French cars is down to the windscreen having an Athermic coating to reflect heat which reduces the burden on the cars A/C system and saves fuel costs (believe that sales brochure blurb and you will beleive anything). Sadly the Athermic coating also blocks the GPS signal making it very difficult for a nnav unit to acquire the necessary signals to work correctly.

I doubt your Hyundai has a windscreen coated in this way and modern sat nav units are so sensitive they can work quite happily under such glass.

I would hazzard a guess this issue is being caused by a messed up qGPS file on the device which is screwing around with the devices ability to know where the GPS sats are in the sky.

Connect it to the PC, use Windows Explorer to make a full copy of every file and folder ont he unit then use TomTom Home to update the device, don't update the map under Latest Map Gaurantee at this time though as you have 4 weeks from purchase to do this step. Once updated via Home does it behave correctly as I never get issues driving in or around Leeds - Mike

The issue with certain French cars is down to the windscreen having an Athermic coating to reflect heat which reduces the burden on the cars A/C system and saves fuel costs (believe that sales brochure blurb and you will beleive anything). Sadly the Athermic coating also blocks the GPS signal making it very difficult for a nnav unit to acquire the necessary signals to work correctly.

I doubt your Hyundai has a windscreen coated in this way and modern sat nav units are so sensitive they can work quite happily under such glass.

I would hazzard a guess this issue is being caused by a messed up qGPS file on the device which is screwing around with the devices ability to know where the GPS sats are in the sky.

Connect it to the PC, use Windows Explorer to make a full copy of every file and folder ont he unit then use TomTom Home to update the device, don't update the map under Latest Map Gaurantee at this time though as you have 4 weeks from purchase to do this step. Once updated via Home does it behave correctly as I never get issues driving in or around Leeds - Mike

Thanks for explaining the French cars. I'd only heard it but had no idea why.

Would a messed up qGPS file be on every XL2? Because it did exactly the same with the first one I got last weekend, which was the same model.

(I understand not a lot!)

How do I make a copy of the files?

Ok, I've installed Home, but it won't let me link a new device as I had registered one last weekend. Would I need to make a new account, as I only have one email address. When I try, it says:

Error when contacting server. You cannot change your device code at this time. Your device code can only be changed once every six months. Please contact customer support if you require any assistance.

I am also getting the following error message:

ERROR: 411/#https://community.tomtom.com/shop/getAccountLicensedContent: Error from server: Your client does not support some of the features of the items you own. Please update to HOME 2.7.5 or higher.
Your client does not support some of the features of the items you own. Please update to HOME 2.7.5 or higher.
Error code: 411
URL: https://community.tomtom.com/shop/getAccountLicensedContent
Additional information: info = [object]
info.func = [string] shop/getAccountLicensedContent
info.args = [object]
info.args.deviceCapabilities = [string] CarSymbol Caymann CaymannAlwaysOn Durham HomeBackup InternalFlash Leeway LinkVolumeToSpeed MapShare MultipleMaps Newyork NotAutomotiveEmbedded PermanentMapCfg PlusEphemeris PlusOrRDSTMCTraffic RDSTMC RouteInfoBackToSummary SDK SettingsOverride SimpleMapBrowserButtonBar StartupImage SuspendImage TTS TTSCompressed TTSLoquendo700 Traffic USBAccessories VoiceBrowser ZeroVolumeSupported screensize=480x272
info.args.deviceParameters = [string] {"ApplicationVersion":"554646.2","ApplicationVersionVersionNumber":"9150","VehicleBrand":"","VehicleModel":""}
info.args.deviceCode = [string] AK2HGAJA66
info.args.deviceSerial = [string] GJ6430F07974
info.args.deviceModel = [string] gj_2048_tts
info.args.deviceNavcoreVersion = [string] 9.150
info.args.deviceNavcoreBuild = [string] 554646.2
info.args.publicBeta = [boolean] false

info.method = [string] GET
info.useCache = [string] false
info.dryRun = [string] false
info.xmluploadbody = [object] empty

Severity: 1103
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:468
xmluploadbody: this.xmluploadbody
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:430
this._doneCallbacks();
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:277
this.request.onload = function() { me._done(true); }

Time: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 20:34:45 GMT

I think I've copied the files as I need to (made a new folder and copied everything into there).

Helen

Last edited:
Yes, sorry, register the new unit with a different email address. Doesn't even have to be real, just in the proper format of (e-mail address removed)

Ok, did that, and the first thing that pops up is the error message:

It says:

The following problem occurred. You can continue but functionality may not be available. Error when contacting server. Your client does not support some of the features you own. Please update to HOME 2.7.5 or higher.

ERROR: 411/#https://community.tomtom.com/shop/getAccountLicensedContent: Error from server: Your client does not support some of the features of the items you own. Please update to HOME 2.7.5 or higher.
Your client does not support some of the features of the items you own. Please update to HOME 2.7.5 or higher.
Error code: 411
URL: https://community.tomtom.com/shop/getAccountLicensedContent
Additional information: info = [object]
info.func = [string] shop/getAccountLicensedContent
info.args = [object]
info.args.deviceCapabilities = [string] CarSymbol Caymann CaymannAlwaysOn Durham HomeBackup InternalFlash Leeway LinkVolumeToSpeed MapShare MultipleMaps Newyork NotAutomotiveEmbedded PermanentMapCfg PlusEphemeris PlusOrRDSTMCTraffic RDSTMC RouteInfoBackToSummary SDK SettingsOverride SimpleMapBrowserButtonBar StartupImage SuspendImage TTS TTSCompressed TTSLoquendo700 Traffic USBAccessories VoiceBrowser ZeroVolumeSupported screensize=480x272
info.args.deviceParameters = [string] {"ApplicationVersion":"554646.2","ApplicationVersionVersionNumber":"9150","VehicleBrand":"","VehicleModel":""}
info.args.deviceCode = [string] AK2HGAJA66
info.args.deviceSerial = [string] GJ6430F07974
info.args.deviceModel = [string] gj_2048_tts
info.args.deviceNavcoreVersion = [string] 9.150
info.args.deviceNavcoreBuild = [string] 554646.2
info.args.publicBeta = [boolean] false

info.method = [string] GET
info.useCache = [string] false
info.dryRun = [string] false
info.xmluploadbody = [object] empty

Severity: 1103
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:468
xmluploadbody: this.xmluploadbody
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:430
this._doneCallbacks();
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:277
this.request.onload = function() { me._done(true); }

Time: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 21:11:21 GMT

I don't know if this means anything to anyone, or if it's actually part of the problem or not.

Helen

ETA:

As an aside, my friend sent me this forum:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/sate...28375-tomtom-xl2-iq-routes-voice-problem.html

It sounds a similar problem I think? Maybe? Maybe it will work on 75% volume?

Last edited:
The issue with certain French cars is down to the windscreen having an Athermic coating to reflect heat which reduces the burden on the cars A/C system and saves fuel costs ...
This problem has existed on certain German models for a couple of years as well. I wasn't aware the they were now also having problems with the Peugeot or Renault as well.

Keep the metal outta my windshield! (I have a Hyundai, too, and at least in U.S. spec, no funny low-E windshields here.)

Elle:

Ignore that stupid irritating error. You may have to X it 4 or 5 times during updates.

I'm sorry, I'm not technically minded.

Am I right in going to 'update my XL, then only installing the TomTom application. I really don't want to do anything I shouldn't...

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for your help. I have found a solution to the problem I was having.

It was very simple and was to do with the other link I found here - TomTom XL2 IQ Routes voice problem - AVForums.com

I tested this out at the same place in Leeds today at a roundabout, sharp left turn and a couple of junctions. Every voice gives me the spoken directions at 75%. When the volume is higher there are no voice instructions whatsoever. (I'm a bit sick of that road now too :) ) To make doubly sure there was a smaller roundabout on my way home, and tested it with the default computer voice (Kate I think, I've packed the box up now) and the same thing.

I have contacted Amazon and am returning the TomTom. I'm not prepared to pay over ?100 for something which doesn't work properly. I also have some hearing loss, and will need it to be louder in the near future. I've been looking at a Garmin now, still in my price range, though I can't do anything until Amazon refund my money.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, it is much appreciated.

Regards,

Helen

Helen, the no voices above 75% is a known bug that I though TomTom had addressed with a software fix, updating the device should have sorted it out which is why I wanted you to update the device.
That said if your PC/ internet/ TomTom interface is also playing up it might be time to bin it and look at a different product, I use a Garmin 3790T which works great but I suspect that might be slightly higher than you have budgeted for - Mike

Helen, the no voices above 75% is a known bug that I though TomTom had addressed with a software fix, updating the device should have sorted it out which is why I wanted you to update the device.
That said if your PC/ internet/ TomTom interface is also playing up it might be time to bin it and look at a different product, I use a Garmin 3790T which works great but I suspect that might be slightly higher than you have budgeted for - Mike

Being new to all things Sat Nav, I had no idea. I updated the original device, I think but it didn't work then either. I've come to the conclusion that if I have to trawl through internet sites to find out why it didn't work straight from the box, then the product isn't worth buying, however good TomToms reputation may be. Afterall, if I bought a new car I would expect it to work straight from the garage with no bugs.

The 3790 is well out of my price range !

Helen

Helen, when you tap the satellite bars on your unit, what is the application version that shows on the next screen?

Ask a Question