XL One IQ Routes - PC connection problems

TomTom Model(s)
XL IQ Routes Edition (UK & ROI)
Hi

My TomTom One IQ XL Routes almost always has problems connection to my Laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium SP1). Often it is not recognised or if it is, Home2 freezes (not responding).

I also notice that I regularly "lose" the file ito.dat from the ephem folder of the device which seems to make any updatyes hang until I delete the ephem folder. I can then update to the latest version of QuickGPSfix. This shouldn't happen, should it?

I was previously told that some of the prgramming on the TomTom (Home and device) are in Linux and don''t work well with Windows 7. Isn't it about time that TomTom sorted this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should be treating this as two completely separate issues.

Get the TomTom properly connected and recognised by your PC first (so you can see the TomTom as a new "disk drive").

Once that's sorted out, then move on to the issues with Home and Win 7.

Try running the Clear Flash tool 3 times on the unit. Get it here:
http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6211/?locale=en_CA

None of the problems listed here apply to me. As I said in my original post sometimes my SatNav will connect to the Laptop as it should (i.e. I get the correct message asking if I wish to connect my drvice to the computer) sometimes it doesn't.

Also, are you using the cable that was provided with the unit? Can you access a computer running on XP?

Yes, I am using the USB Cable that came with the device.

I still cannot understand why it is so inconsistent and also why my ito.dat file keeps disappearing from the devicve.

None of these problems occurred when I used to connect it to my old PC running Windows XP SP3 and which I no longer have.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should be treating this as two completely separate issues.

Get the TomTom properly connected and recognised by your PC first (so you can see the TomTom as a new "disk drive").

Once that's sorted out, then move on to the issues with Home and Win 7.

See my post above which answers your post. With absolutely no change in procedures why should it all work as it should some of the time and not other times.

When I raised this problem a couple of years ago with TomTom they said Home didn't work well with Windows7 but after all this time it's about time they sorted it.

Try running the Clear Flash tool 3 times on the unit. Get it here:
http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6211/?locale=en_CA

None of the problems listed here apply to me

That doesn't mean you shouldn't try it. It's only a "long shot" but we've seen it fix several issues that weren't on their list.
Did you try it?

As I said in my original post sometimes my SatNav will connect to the Laptop as it should (i.e. I get the correct message asking if I wish to connect my drvice to the computer) sometimes it doesn't.

I assume you've already tried everything inthe "Device not recognised by computer"section of this page?

I still cannot understand why it is so inconsistent and also why my ito.dat file keeps disappearing from the devicve..

Does the file disappear when you have the device connected to the PC, or ONLY once you've also run Home?

Incidentally, I don't think there is actually a model called an XL One IQ Routes (there's the old "ONE XL", and there are newer "XL IQ Routes" and "XL LIVE IQ Routes" Editions).

My XL LIVE IQ Routes Edition doesn't have a file called ito.dat anywhere and (according to my backups) never has.

EDIT: Ah, it's lto.dat, not ito.dat - that one's there

Ask a Question