Who's the best TT 920 or TT720 ?

I've tried both units and they are both great. If you won't be traveling to Europe, and do not need the extra space, the 720 is great.

I do the like the 920's EPT feature and it has helped.

9xx is always TomTom's top of the line.
I didn't buy the 910 because of the hard drive, but the 920 is completely different matter.
I don't think the 720 can even accomodate the latest North_America map now.

I have a 720 and had no problem downloading the 710 NA map. It fit just fine now if you want the extra POi's on the 920 them you have to delete a few things.

920 has NA and europe maps
720 just NA map less POI you can get and has Voice input after a small easy tweek ( JUST SEARCH HERE)

i would rather go for 920 than 720, both BT remote and EPT makes a nice addition plus 4gb of memory. actually the memory thing seems to be most
important here. im in europe, and western+central europe map is about
2gb in size... so it looks like 720 is less future-proof than the 920.

as the maps is around 2gb now i wonder if it still be okay within a year
or so once the new map update hit the streets.

Technically your are right, practically that makes little sense... let me
explain... consider you have 2GB flash memory on the device and your/
mine Western_Central Europe is about 2GB in size, now we have upgrade
that is 2.2GB in size. You buy SD card... and now you have 2GB of free
memory and 4GB SD card.

Considering 920/720... the EPT is indeed a nice enhancement... can save you
if you drive through cities with tunnels etc. I also like the remote... you can use it for almost anything except for scrolling the map on map view. It is a safety device, because you can tweak the GO on the go :) without much distraction... checking things, finding poi while driving, checking alternate routes etc. etc. or when you need to change something in busy driving
situations you can keep the remote and steer/change gears and do some
changes during the little pauses between trafic.

On the other hand for some real urgent - must be done imeediately - changes you will rather go without the remote.

I thought I did not need the remote when i got my 920 (was using Garmin earlier) but after I started using the remote I really liked it.

Now considering you buy your satnav device for a longer time ... two years or more I think it's better to give 920 a go. You pay not that much more for some nice and really usefull enhancements (memory, EPT, remote)... even if you dont need both US and Europe maps. I did not actually.

Technically your are right, practically that makes little sense... let me
explain... consider you have 2GB flash memory on the device and your/
mine Western_Central Europe is about 2GB in size, now we have upgrade
that is 2.2GB in size. You buy SD card... and now you have 2GB of free
memory and 4GB SD card.

Sorry, but your explanation befuddled me into a state of unconscienceness.

Regardless, the size of SD Media most deffinatly futureproofs the 720.

Well you are right, but my way of thinking is... what's the point
of buying 2GB device and cards in the future, since you can buy
rather future proof 4GB device now. This is from a perspective
of someone who has not decided between 720/920 yet.

As a side note... Garmin devices have similar problem lately. In Poland they sell nuvi 2xx devices with City Navigator Europe Map 9 and separate much more detailed Poland map both loaded on the device. Now lately CityNav2008 map upgrade hit the memory limit of nuvi and both maps wont fit on the device. So now you are being sold nuvi with CityNav loaded and Poland map on the separate SD card, which is in addition attached to the card, so if you want you use your own card with other maps or media you are basically scr*d.

... what's the point
of buying 2GB device and cards in the future, since you can buy
rather future proof 4GB device now. This is from a perspective
of someone who has not decided between 720/920 yet.

Because of rapidly falling prices of all flash based storage media.

The price difference between 720 & 920 is huge. Yes, the 920 has LOTS of additional toys/options you can play with. Both do GPS Nav duties the same.
I'd rather invest my savings and later posssibly purchase larger storage if ever needed. Futuerproofing is not an issue with either device.

Ask a Question