Via POIs

Using Via 125 live I tried copying methods which worked on my Go 700. Anyone got this to work on Via?
Create new POI category, and add POI by Lat and Long. Return to menu and try to Nav to it, Not there. However, go to Manage POI and delete it and it shows up. Bug?

Thread moved to appropriate forum.

In the new models (1X, 2X and Via models) there is a limit to the range the application will find a poi. Think it's 50 miles from current location. Could that be the problem?

Thread moved to appropriate forum.

In the new models (1X, 2X and Via models) there is a limit to the range the application will find a poi. Think it's 50 miles from current location. Could that be the problem?
That should only be when using 'POI Near You' and not 'POI in City' though, correct?

Nope, one of the big takeaways is that poi searches are limited on all screens now.
Tell me I'm misunderstanding -- it is now impossible to navigate to a POI in another city if it is more than 50 miles away? If so, did TomTom provide any reason for that very unfortunate limitation? On road trips, I rarely stay in hotels within 50 miles of home (sigh). What were they thinking?

Nope, one of the big takeaways is that poi searches are limited on all screens now.
Tell me I'm misunderstanding -- it is now impossible to navigate to a POI in another city if it is more than 50 miles away? If so, did TomTom provide any reason for that very unfortunate limitation? On road trips, I rarely stay in hotels within 50 miles of home (sigh). What were they thinking?

The important bit in mvl's post is "...that poi searches are limited on all screens now

You CAN search for POIs in cities more then 50 miles away using the 'POI in City' section.

What you can't do now in any section is use "Find" to extend the search more than 50 miles.

In other words, if I want to search for a POI by name in v9 software, I can select ANY of the options - 'POI near Home', 'POI near me'. 'POI in city' etc. and then use 'Find' to search the entire database, further than 50 miles..

On v10 that no longer works and it's a SEVERE limitation.

It's a deal-breaker in fact, if I was in the market to buy a new TomTom, as it is essential in the way I like to use the devices.

I fear I may have lost the distinction, so stay with me.

Are you saying that one can navigate to a POI in a location 50+ miles away IF it appears on the resulting list that specifies all within the category (and one must be prepared to do some serious scrolling to find the desired POI and hope it appears in the first 50 or whatever number they present with those lists) when doing a "Navigate to" a "POI in City", but one cannot use the Find function to enter a specific name if the POI is more than 50 miles away regardless of the nature/location of the lookup?

I fear I may have lost the distinction, so stay with me.

Are you saying that one can navigate to a POI in a location 50+ miles away IF it appears on the resulting list....

Erg, obviously hard to explain!
Yes on Navcore 10, but Navcore 9 was MUCH better.

Lets try an example...

Lets say I have a POI category for bird-watching sites covering the whole country (and by an amazing coincidence, I do!)

Sitting in London, I can go Navigate to POI, Near Home, and on Navcore 9 it will present me with a list of the closest 48 places (8 screens of 6)
This aspect has been IMPROVED in Navcore 10 as it now shows 96 places (16 screens of 6).

But...
If I know I want to go to a bird reserve called "Barons Haugh", hundreds of miles away in Scotland, in Navcore 9 I can got to "Find" and just start typing the name and it finds it even though it was not in the list of nearest results.

This means that if I only know the name of the place and not the town or city, I can select ANY of the POI options (Near Home, Near You, Near destination In city etc.) and it doesn't matter because a "Find" searches everything.
The same trick works with "Find" on the Browse map screen

On Navcore 10 though, if I do the SAME search with "Find", it just says "No POI found" because it ONLY searches through the results it has already shown you in the 16 screens of 6.

Another example is the Pocket GPS World camera database that I help look after. Every camera in the whole of the country has an ID number in the database, and on a Navcore 9 machine I can search for any camera. But on Navcore 10 I have no idea where to look for camera:12345 fbecause it has no geographical reference to start from.

OK - so the malfunction is really only of critical importance if you don't have a town name (or - and this can be a pain) the CORRECT 'suburb' name for anything you wish to navigate to that's over 50 miles away. For example, I can't be sitting in Kansas City and searching for a business by name in Aurora, Colorado, without knowing that it's actually in Aurora (and by the way, NOT in Denver). Have I got that right now? If so, that is rather lame, but not as bad as I'd first thought based upon the earlier description.

Yes that's it.

The other example I used, was looking for an airport.

Say I want to drive to "Teesside Airport", from London.
I do not know which "city" Teesside Airport is in (Teesside is just a region).
I always used to be able to choose "Airport" in "POI near home" knowing it would not show very distant ones in the list, but I could always use the "Find" feature to find ANY entry in the POI category.

Now, the TomTom cannot search for "Teesside" in the Airport POI list and just reports "no POI found".

OK - I'm with you now. That certainly makes some assumptions about the user's knowledge of the correct town name - which can be a right bugger in metro areas where some of the locals aren't even sure where one ends and the next begins.

Especially when searching "within a category", which significantly limits the size of the list, I can't understand why TomTom would have done such a thing - given that the full category list still has to be searched and each item computed against a 50 mile limit (using even MORE CPU time). I have no trouble imagining that your use model gets blown all to heck with this approach to the code. My own peculiar use also requires a search without having an associated town name (often because there really IS no town name out in the boondocks) of a POI from my custom lists.

If I were on the beta team, I'd sure have been lobbying hard against that one.

Sadly, lobbying very rarely makes any difference. :(

It's always "as designed"....

Last edited:

Ask a Question