USB Extention cable.

TomTom Model(s)
Go710/Start60.
Hi all,When using the My TomTom apdating site and i plug my Start60 into my computer it connects to the site.If i then use a USB extention in between the Start and the computer, the Start60 wont connect. Why is this,and what can i do to make it do so?Thanks all.
Ps i am not realy computor literate.:lol:

The cable that comes with the device is TomTom specific in its wiring. Putting an extention between it and the computer may be as a result of a cable with incorrect wiring to interpret the appropriate signals.

Just to make sure, are you using a usb port on the back, not the front of the computer?

As an aside, if you use a generic mini to micro adapter to connect, say, a rds-tmc combo charger/antenna to the device also will result in a lack of success, so I've experienced (as have others). You *must* use the actual TomTom adapter.

Same problem, I suspect.

Hi dhn,i'm using a front usb port,but i get the same efect if i use one in the rear of my computor.My Start60 wont work from a usb hub either,so as you say, that could point to the wiring of the two leads not being compatable. Do TomTom make a specific USB extention,for my unit?Your help is much apreciated.

Because they often prove to be underpowered or, indeed, not functional. I know it's a pain in the *** to shovel usb connectors/ports but if you'd at least take the time to free up a port to connect the tomtom unit and, if you are having the same problem, we can at least rule out the port and go back to the extension itself as being the prime source of the problem.

Hi dhn,as i said in one of my previous posts,i have tried a rear port,with and without an extention to the USB lead.Direct conection to the device, via the tom tom dedicated device lead and a rear USB port and it works(same as at the front port).Conection to the rear port via a USB extention lead and the device doesen't work(same as at the front port.
So to recap in any USB port using the direct tomtom cable,the device works. Using a USB extention to any USB port and it doesen't.:)

I've got a few contrary opinions I'm afraid! (nothing new there!)

1. I'd dispute the assertion that TomTom USB cables are wired differently to any other standard USB cable. I'm 99.999% sure that's just not true.

2. However, TomToms do seem very dependant on the quality of the USB cable used, so a cheap generic cable may not work as well as a genuine TomTom one, or not at all.

3. New TomToms that use the MyTomTom software are just VERY finicky about all aspects of the USB connection.
Even if the PC is saying the TomTom is properly connected, MyTT sometimes just doesn't like the connection.

So I think point #2 or #3 may be the reason why your extension cable isn't working. It's either not a very good cable, or the TomTom is one that needs absolute perfection in it's cabling (I have one like that, see below!)

4. I'd agree that the mantra "use a rear port not a front one", is often good advice. But I currently have a Go1005 that is always happier connecting to one of the front ports on my main desktop PC rather than a back one!
So I'd say "try 'em all!"

I guess I was implying quality of cable when I said wiring, Andy, but I definitely stand by the statement that only a true TT min to micro converter works, unfortunately.

AAMOF, my devices also use a port on the front but I have known them to be the weak point for others with their computers.

I guess I was implying quality of cable when I said wiring, Andy, but I definitely stand by the statement that only a true TT min to micro converter works, unfortunately.

I agree that seems to have been the outcome from people's experiences in the forums, but I still won't REALLY believe it until I see it for myself :lol:
Have you seen it happen first-hand?

I think at least one of the forum experiences was when someone was trying to use an old RDS-TMC receiver with a mini USB connection and it didn't work with a mini-to-micro adapter.

He then bought a new receiver (complete with a mini-to-micro adapter) which worked.

My assumption there was that the old receiver itself simply wasn't compatible, but I don't think he ever tried the new receiver with the old adapter.
could be wrong of course. But there's nothing like doing your own experiments to convince one way or the other.

It happened to me, Andy. I have a combo rds-tmc antenna/car charger from other models. Wanted to try it with a Nav3 device. Found no place in Toronto when I could find the mini to micro converter. Found a guy on Amazon who was selling 10 in a pack for $6 Canadian. Free shipping. Figure I really had nothing to lose.

When they arrived, I tried them all. Yes, the antenna fit one end and the other fit into the N3 devices. But when I connected to the ciggy lighter, the device didn't recognize the existence of any car charger, let alone a rds-tmc antenna.

Fairy nuff. Noted for future reference!
(until I forget and you have to remind me (again?))

I wonder if they would have worked on anything else, did you have anything you could try them with?

The adapters? No, not really. I know the combo thingy worked on my 540 and 720 devices.

If you were using an unpowered hub, the meager 500mA from the PC was being shared across all connected devices, and your TomTom would be very happy with more than 500mA in the first place.

Good to hear that you got it resolved.

If you were using an unpowered hub, the meager 500mA from the PC was being shared across all connected devices, and your TomTom would be very happy with more than 500mA in the first place.

Good to hear that you got it resolved.
Thats exactly what my son told me Canderson,he's far more conputer aware than i am lol.
Happy now, thanks for the coment.:)

Ask a Question