Updating

I have a Via 1505M and trying to update..it shows 7022.2 MB of upgrade but not enough room on my device..when it is updating doesn't it automatically remove the maps then reinstall the updated one..i have lifetime updating on the maps

Out of curiosity, what are the first two characters of your unit serial number? BL? If so, yours ought to be a 4GB unit (though there is a similar unit at 8GB starting with BQ), so I would be curious to know what you're updating that requires 7GB! That's bigger than a full Europe map. What map(s) ARE you updating?

As a side note: If you get into a space jam, there should be a little uSD card slot right up by the USB cable connection on a Via 1505. Toss in a 16GB Class 10 and you'll be able to load the world ... well, almost!

Hi..The unit Via1505M has BQ in front of the serial number.. The maps are North America, Western Europe and Mexico...I have updated the full maps before without any problem..It's not as if I'm adding any maps just updating existing.....one thing though when opening up My Drive I keep getting a SSL error which I never had before so I just bypass the error..could this be the problem..I'm using XP with all the updates..Thanks in advance

I got around the SSL error by using Internet Explorer rather than Firefox..I then reinstalled My Drive..but it keeps coming up with the original not enough space..it asks me to uninstall maps to get space!!! It's just a map update??

Thanks for confirming model by serial prefix. Yup - that's an 8GB unit.

Although you say "..it's not as if I'm adding any maps...", please appreciate that each release creates bigger and bigger maps as more detail is added (more roads, mapped parking lots, more known speed limits, etc etc). I would have thought you'd have been OK with an 8GB unit, but we don't know what else is being stored on it, and the unit will also require a minimum amount of unused space to load and pre-check any new firmware before it replaces that during a firmware update.

You could go with another 8GB on a Class 10 uSD card in the available slot. Your unit will see the new card, ask to format it, and then when you next connect to MyDrive, you will be given some different options when you go to update again.

As for the SSL error, are you describing a certificate error on the part of TomTom's server? That shouldn't be happening on their production server. Details, please, if you have them.

As far as the SSL error..I first made Internet Explorer my default browser..
( normally it's Firefox)..I then reinstalled MyDrive...when I went to updating ..SSL error did not appear..
I am really hesitant about removing my maps then updating them..so if I do install the Class 10 USD card then will that mean I will have duplicate maps..meaning my original ones plus the ones that will be on the uSd card..
The update shows 7022.2 MB and all I have is what is left of my 8GB...so if I uninstall all my maps it will reinstall them on the update..scary stuff

If you have not bought it yet, get a 16GB card. The price difference is minimal these days.

You should not remove any maps. If needed, TomTom will take care of replacing the map during the updating.

Ask a Question