Update maps or buy a new unit ?

Hello !!

I'm a real newbie to TomTom; I have a TomTom ONE New Edition that I have used maybe 20 times since I bought it over a year ago.

I recently received an email from TomTom offering a 4 map update [over 1 year] for $40. I also have a code for $10 off any purchase, so I was looking at $30 to update for a year which is not bad. It turns out howver I'm using map version 665.1293 and I'm told that I have to update that map for $40 [after I use my code] and THEN i can subscribe to the 4 map update.

So, I'm looking at $40 to update to map version 7 or higher and then $40 for the map updates = $80. Am I better off just buying a new unit ? I am a casual user .. maybe 1 trip a month or so.

Thanks in advance.

Good question. After doing all the updates to the current map and then subscribing to 4 more updates for the unit, you're still left a year from now with a model that doesn't have the recent mapping features of IQ routing and I'm not sure whether Advanced Lane Guidance comes on maps for your models.

And if you do get a map subscription, it is NOT transferable to a different unit should you decide to upgrade the unit within the year.

If the map you're using is reasonable for your needs then updating will be an improvement, no doubt.

But there are newer models out there now that already will have the latest map and updated pois, etc.

No right answer....just some consideration.

for me since the units are getting so cheap i would purchase a more advanced unit. But this is me, you have to make the choice. Choose one with 1q routing , advance lane guidance and text to speech and the latest maps. But you have to choose monitarily which is best for you

Thanks dhn !! I figured that might have been a dumb question. :eek: However, I am not able to see or read the announcement at the top of each forum !!

I get this:

01-22-2009 until 01-22-2012

TomTom Forums has been experiencing an increase in posts by members that make reference to illegal (warez) sites.

Such sites will not be promoted, advertised or tolerated at TomTom Forums and members making such posts run the risk of being banned from here permanently.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

I can assure you that obtaining illegal software was NOT the intention of my question. I have no idea what "warez" sites are !! :p I was just hoping that I could find an update to 7.xxxx cheaper somewhere than TomTom. I do not use my unit much at all, and its simply not worth $40 to update my maps on an outdated device. If anyone in the forum has a 130 or 130S for sale, please let me know.

Last edited:
To answer your original question, other than bluetooth pairing, the One 140 does everything a One New Edition does. And it adds IQroutes which make the directions so much better than a One New Edition. I would upgrade the device if I were in your shoes, 140's are sometimes on sale for under $100. Check out google products for a few vendors.

Also, dhn is not 100% correct. The only way to legally obtain maps is via Tomtom home. However you can purchase activation cards from 3rd party places (eg Staples) and key the card's code into home. Perhaps the activation cards will save you a couple of bucks if you pair them with a store coupon code, but doubtfully a significant amount.

Other methods of getting map upgrades are usually pirate methods and thus the link to the disclaimer above.

Last edited:
Also, dhn is not 100% correct. The only way to legally obtain maps is via Tomtom home

We're splitting hairs here, mvl.

Legally, the only way to obtain maps IS via TT using Home. Which is what you said and which I implied.

The cards do not provide the maps, only access to getting them (cheaper, maybe) but you still need to use Home to actually obtain the maps.

Told you we were splitting hairs here .......:)

NewEgg has the TomTom 130 - a refurbished model - for $50 after rebate.

Would the 130 have the updated maps ?? Is there a way to tell before hand ? It does have the map share feature.

Radi0o Shack used to provide LMG certificates with their refurbs (720) which were honoured by TT. I guess you may have to contact newegg and see if they have such a deal with their refurbs.

Otherwise, I guess it's 'buyer ... beware'

I just purchased a refurb One 130 from NewEgg for my son - good deal, $50 after rebate. I had a very good experience with TomTom last Christmas when they provided a map upgrade for a refurb'ed 720 purchased from Amazon.

This time, however, I spent a half hour on the phone with a TomTom CSR and then a supervisor, both whom steadfastly refused to provide a map update for the refurb'ed 130.

I don't mind so much that TomTom has changed the policy about map upgrades for refurb's, except for the fact that the policy is not consistently applied. Some people are still getting upgrades, others, like me, are not.

You know, it may have to do with who the reseller is. Radio Shack in the States is recognized as one, so is Amazon. NewEgg? I'm not so sure.......

Just surmising here.

(You may wish, for the heck of it, just to try CS one more time. Who knows? You may get lucky. Just do not say you already tried and were turned down).

Though not a newbie (I've owned the TomTom One 3rd Edition for a couple years), I asked myself the same question. The problem is, I'm more or less a casual user. Though I use TomTom daily whenever I drive, I only travel outside the state once, maybe twice a year. So, as much as I want a map upgrade, it's hard to justify spending $80 for something I'll probably receive very little benefit from.

I like the convenience of owning the TomTom though and it annoys me that I can't use it to it's full potential...whether I'd ever really use it to it's full potential or not. Fortunately, I found the reasonably priced TomTom One 140s. So, while I can't justify a map upgrade for my 3rd edition, I can justify selling it and adding $70 or $80 toward the purchase of a newer TomTom with more features and a new map to boot. For me it was a no brainer and I couldn't be happier...even if I haven't sold the 3rd Edition yet...!

Last edited:

Ask a Question