TomTom wont work when i switch ignition of car on?

Hey guys,
Have you solved this problem? I have exactly the same issue with TomTom Via 280.

Fortunately, 'we' aren't tasked with solving anything. We leave that to TomTom and their engineers!
No update on this, though. There are still some ignition switch systems that fool the device with the rapid off/on/off/on sequence of rotating the key to start and back to on again.
What happens if you move the key from the off position to the first position? Does that illuminate the cig lighter adapter? Does the unit power on if you stop there?

Hi Canderson, I know nobody here is tasked to solve any issue :) I'm just asking if any solution or work around has been found for this issue.

Once I move my key from off position to first position the cig lighter adapter lights up, the TomTom unit powers on and can't find any GPS signal.
I only get GPS signal if I covered the windscreen with a sunshade, or if I moved the ignition key to the off position.

I just tried the TomTom again and the GPS signal works fine when there is no direct sun light to the windscreen (like in cloudy weather).
It's really weird, as if direct sunlight activates something in the windscreen which interferes with GPS signal.

Direct Sunlight + ignition On = NOT working
Direct Sunlight + ignition Off = working fine
Night or indirect Sunlight = working fine

A good way to test is there is a signal jammer is to bring another GPS device (cellphone with GPS, or borrow friends' GPS) and test it on your car.
If it lost the signal, then there is a high chance that there is a jammer in there
If not, the its more than likely just the device problem

It's really weird, as if direct sunlight activates something in the windscreen which interferes with GPS signal.
Or perhaps it's a matter of the 280 not working when it's hot? What happens if you set the device on the center console or similar spot, out of the sun?

Ask a Question