TomTom server timed out - Previous Threads seem out of date

I purchased the Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB map but during download I got about 70% of the way and received an error:

The connection to the TomTom server timed out.
Error code: 2152398862 (NS_ERROR_NET_TIMEOUT)

The posts I have read all seem to be regarding after complete download but mine was 70% complete. When I try to restart TomTom Home recognizes there was a timeout error and will not let me continue.

For me to apply suggestions in other posts regarding trouble with download seem dangerous because I checked the TomTom\Home\Download\Temp folder and I did get the large "TMP" file of almost 1.6GB but as I mentioned the complete download did not finish and I do not see files which other posts spoke of.

Is there a way to "reset" the timeout error to try again? It was taking a long time to download but it was going smoothly before the error :(

What **should** happen is when you log in to download again, the process should pick up at the 70% mark, not start over from the beginning.

You can delete the temp folder. Tomtom servers store your map activation with your email address, HOME will start the download from scratch with no issues if you delete the temp folder.

Thanks mvl. That is good information to have but I was hoping to start where I left off. I am trying to download Western and Central Europe >2GB which I was 70% through plus update the almost 2GB North America map (I got 50% through before i got the same error I got with the Western and Central Europe).

I can see a file in the Western and Central Europe directory which is 1.6GB so I think the TomTom server timed out. Seems like they should allow people to continue or extend the timeout when downloads are 2GB.

In any case I will go to a friend's home tomorrow and try downloading with a faster connection to their computer via cable.

From what I gather if I install Home on their computer it will proceed from scratch as if I had never started. I can then copy to jump drive; add to my own computer over the top of anything there (I will likely erase everything on mine first including this temporary file/folder).

If anyone reads this and knows what I am proposing will not work or has a caution I will check again here tomorrow before I start.

Thanks for the help,
Scott

If you have a map 70% download try the following:

- Upgrade to the latest version of Tomtom Home. Currently, that is 2.7.6.2056.
- Choose "Update my GO", and the unfinished maps should show up
- Install the the unfinished map, and it should resume from where it left off.

The above process worked for me a few quarters ago. I haven't had download aborts in the last few maps, so I don't know if the newer versions of HOME have a new download bug.

If the above isn't working, then it's likely that either HOME has some new bug, or the existing downloads were corrupt.

In that case, you'd have to delete the temp folder and start over.

Download Timed Out

I had problems dowloading a map of Western Europe, bought to update my 5 yr old version. Internet speed only 0.5 mps. Kept getting timed out. Tried and retried many times,but kept getting timed out. Each time a little more was downloaded and saved , until half the map was downloaded. Had to wait about 1/2 hr between attempts, or time out occurred after a few mins. Eventually dowloaded last half late at night - took 3hrs., without any timing out. .

This is what Tomtom support said:
If you are experiencing any challenges with downloading and installing your map to your device, please read below:-

TomTom Home needs to have a stable and unrestricted Internet connection. Currently, TomTom Home does not have a download manager where if your Internet connection drops, It does not have the ability to resume the download. In effect what could happen is that TomTom Home will install a partially downloaded map to your device and the map will not have been installed correctly to your TomTom. It may load up and say 'No maps found' or the map may not show on your device.

We highly recommend that you connect directly to the Internet with a network cable and not use a wireless network connection. A wireless connection can be subject to interference, and if you have a weak signal strength, then Wireless connections can occasionally drop the connection, which means that your map may not download correctly.

If you connect with a Network cable to your router, it means that you will have direct stable connection with your Router/Modem so that it eliminates any connection issues that you may otherwise have with a wireless network.

Please note that you will need a stable and unrestricted broadband connection from your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Many ISP's advertise that you can have 'upto' 8Mbit Broadband for example, but in truth you could only be receiving less than 1Mbit. This is particularly true if you are at the end of an Internet connection exchange. If this is the case, you may experience an unstable connection, which can interfere with the map download. We suggest that you try to download your map when it is on an 'off peak' period e.g. late at night or early morning. Ultimately you may need to find a better Internet connection on a different computer to download your map.

Firewalls, AntiVirus Scanners and Pop-up Blockers can also interfere with the map download. It may be necessary to configure your firewall and router to allow TomTom Home full access to the Internet. In some cases, switching off your Firewall can help with downloading your map.

If you are trying to download your map on a Business network i.e. in an office at your workplace, please be aware that your company may have download restrictions and access policies which may prevent a map from being downloaded. Many Companies use a Proxy Server to route all Internet traffic. If this is the case, please speak to your IT administrator in how to configure the computer and network to allow TomTom Home to connect.
In light of this information, we suggest that you try again to download your Map. Kindly follow the instruction mentioned below

- Connect your device to computer and open TomTom HOME
- Click on Manage my device
- click on Items on my device
- Select the Map (Western Europe-If its there)and click on remove items from Device
- Items on my computer
- Select the map (Western Europe-if its there)and click on remove items from computer.

Close the TomTom HOME
Go to My Documents
Click on TomTom--- Home
Right click on Download folder and rename it. You can rename it to Download-Old,Download 1..etc
Then disconnect the device from TomTom HOME
Re-connect it Once again
- Click on 'Update My One'
- Select the 'Western Europe' Click on Update and Install.
-

Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem

Should you wish to reply to this e-mail, please go to the TomTom website and log in. Once logged in, click on the support button at the top of the web-site, and then under support links on the right hand side you will see the link to My Questions. Click on the subject heading to view and update your question, you will also find the option to attach files here and to download any that the Customer Care team may have sent you!

Our opening, closing times and contact details are on Contact TomTom Customer Support.

Last edited:

Ask a Question