Tomtom one xl can't start up

TomTom Model(s)
one xl
My Tomtom one xl can't start up today. It was perfect yesterday. I have connected it to my computer for more than four hours and have tried to reset it ( hold for 15 seconds).

What could be the problem?

Thanks for any help!

QQ:confused:

When it's connected to the computer, do you see a green power light on the unit?

Does it start up if connected to the car charger in your auto?

No, I didn't hear the drum sounds.

I think the green power light is on, but nothing on the screen.

Thanks,

Try holding the power button again until you DO hear the drum sounds unless your model has a dedicated reset hole in the bottom of the unit. Then use that.

@dhn
Our chart shows that the ONE XL does have the pin reset hole in the bottom.

@QQSU
Take a look at the bottom of your unit. You should find a tiny hole with the word RESET next to it. Gently poke the end of a paperclip in that hole until you feel it touch something, and push gently for a couple of seconds. That's the reset switch.

I heard the drum sound! The word "reset" was covered by a sticker!! Thanks dhn & canderson!!!

What is the next step? The screen only shows the GPS is connected to the computer and I don't even know if it is charging.

QQ

It is working now!!!! Thanks Tom Tom experts!!!!!

Will the battery eventually die? What's the life time for a GPS?

Any reply is highly appreciated!

QQ

If you see a green light on the unit, a pretty good indication it is charging.

After you did do the reset, without the unit connected to the computer, did the unit start up properly?

Will the battery eventually die? What's the life time for a GPS?

Any reply is highly appreciated!
All rechargeable batteries will eventually fail, regardless of the type of device into which they are installed. In the case of a GPS, you can often continue to operate off the car charger for some time after the battery will fail to hold a charge.

I have seen some instructions here for replacement of the battery in some models, but I get the impression that many times it can be a challenge to do so. I'm not sure if your model is one for which a tutorial has been posted, but I get the feeling that the batteries are often glued to the circuit board, so it will require extreme care and some luck to avoid damage when removing and replacing the battery.

Other than the battery, I see no reason that the service life of your GPS should not be comparable to most other modern electronics.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

If it's an original One XL the battery is easy to change! It's just lightly attached to the back cover.

A battery change tutorial for the One XL (courtesy of PocketGPSWorld) is here.

Ask a Question