TomTom is not detected by my computer

TomTom Model(s)
Via120
I've had my new TomTom for around 6 months and have always had difficulties using it with my computer (running on Windows XP). I have now established that I need to use My TomTom, not TomTom Home.

When I connect the device and click on the My TomTom symbol on my tool bar, it always says at the top 'Tom Tom via Connecting...' and never actually 'connects'. I'm not sure if I am receiving updates etc as the device also never appears in 'my computer' under the start settings. Despite this, the My TomTom icon always tells me that my 'navigation device is up-to-date'.

Has anyone had similar problems? I am failry computer illiterate and am not sure what, if anything, I am doing wrong.

I have now established that I need to use My TomTom, not TomTom Home.
No wonder you were having problems. I'm guessing you owned a TomTom previous to this one, which is why you were using Home.

Your new TomTom (since it required MyTomTom) will not show up as a disk device under "My Computer", so don't sweat that. It will show up as a NIC card in Device Manager. Your new TomTom is a little mini-server.

One thing we'll need to ask -- when you set up your account on MyTomTom, you DID use a different email address than the one for your previous unit -- I hope.

Canderson,

I have a similar issue. My Tomtom Go Live 1000 has only been registered with one email account. On My tomtom, my PC connects to the device and syncs perfectly. When I downloaded TTH2 from the website today, I could not get it to connect to the device from within TTH2, although in Mytomtom it was connected. On the support page, there´s something about downloading a file (home_images) and extracting these to the device. Problem is...my computer does not see the device as a drive, but as a NIC card like you mentioned...so...what do I do? any advice?

And not seeing it as a drive is deliberate.

It's all part of TomTom's efforts to "lock down" the units to stop users gaining access to the file system.

My computer has started causing an error when my Tomtom 520 was plugged in, a USB not recognized, I uninstalled Tomtom Home but that did not work. Tired finding a USB driver but no luck, I tried everything except for a reset of my 520 as I had nothing else to try. Did this and my 520 booted up into Home without any problems, why it happened I don't know nut it proved to be a head scrathcher for 15 minutes. Hope someone else can benefit from my ordeal.

Resetting the unit is usually the first suggestion we offer for such a situation. Thanks for the feedback.

This is my second My Tom Tom Via 1535. I returned the first one because I assumed it was defective,after following the directions in the box and the prompts on the screen failed to connection to my PC. I am haveing the same issues with this one, can someone tell me what to do? I run on XP using Firefox.

Can you be a bit more specific with what's happening? As discussed in the posts above, the new models (including the Vias) do not connect to the PC in the same way you may be used to. They do not appear as new disk drives, but actually connect as mini web servers. Therefore there's nothing you can do with them except by using the MyTomTom software.

Do you have that installed?
What messages does that give you if you click on the icon in the system tray (next to the clock)?
What do you see if you click on "MyTomTom" in that pop up box.(A new web-browser page should open).

Do you get a small PC icon on the Via screen when you have physically connected the Via to the PC?

To do a reset on a Via, you hold down the power switch for around 20 seconds, until you hear a drumroll sound.

Can't really go any further without some more information from you. Can you answer those four questions?

Can you be a bit more specific with what's happening? As discussed in the posts above, the new models (including the Vias) do not connect to the PC in the same way you may be used to. They do not appear as new disk drives, but actually connect as mini web servers. Therefore there's nothing you can do with them except by using the MyTomTom software.

Do you have that installed?
What messages does that give you if you click on the icon in the system tray (next to the clock)?
What do you see if you click on "MyTomTom" in that pop up box.(A new web-browser page should open).

Do you get a small PC icon on the Via screen when you have physically connected the Via to the PC?

To do a reset on a Via, you hold down the power switch for around 20 seconds, until you hear a drumroll sound.
Ok! I have done the reset. I have installed the MyTomTom software. I get an green dialog box Icon telling me I have updates and I am connected.
I do have the PC icon on the Tom Tom screen.

Ok! I have done the reset. I have installed the MyTomTom software. I get an green dialog box Icon telling me I have updates and I am connected.
I do have the PC icon on the Tom Tom screen. What do I do now?

Last edited:
Well, you said your problem was that following the directions in the box and the prompts on the screen it had failed to connect to your PC.

But it looks like you are now connected and you can see you have updates, so I reckon it's all working as intended.

I'm assuming you can actually GET the updates if you select them.
You should also be able to add POIs, Colour schemes, car icons, warning sounds, etc. using the "Add community content" menu item in the pop-up window when you click on the icon by the PC clock. Maybe try that too.

Ask a Question