TomTom Go 510 freezes up at specific locations

Searched on Google but didn't see anything really useful come up. I've got a TomTom GO 510 that I bought refurbished off Woot almost exactly two months ago. It works great locally, but I've had it freeze up multiple times -- at the same locations -- when I make a road trip. Specifically, when going north through Washington DC, at the point where all the 95's collide (you've got to go from 95 to 395 to continue north there), freezes and requires a hard reset. Worse, there are about a hundred lane changes required in that area that you miss. It continues to freeze for the next 5-6 miles if you reboot it. After that, resumes working fine. When it freezes, the map just locks up, and if you let it sit there long enough the screen will get lines through it, turn black, and the backlight will stay on so it looks pretty funky.

Had it happen again in Pennsylvania going through West Mifflin (south of Pittsburgh). If anyone's near that area, as soon as I got it working again I set a POI to that map spot, so I can post the long/lat of the location to see if yours does it.

I needed gas in the DC area on the way back so I took the Tysons Corner exit and searched for gas stations near me. It listed a bunch on the screen with their distances, and they all remained grey and froze up. Anywhere within about ten miles from the Tysons Corner area would do that. If I went to Restaurants or any other POI it worked fine, and when I left that area it found gas stations fine too.

Sound like similar problems anyone?

Contact TomTom Support 1 866 486 6866 (available 8:30AM to 7:00PM EST Mon - Fri and 9:00AM to 5:00PM EST Saturdays)

Some refrub units have map problems.
Let support know you purchased it from Woot. They know what to do.

Ask a Question