The New Online Plan.TomTom.com

Thanks Guys.

I had tried using the sync routes which creates a track but last week in France it sent me mad whenever there was a diversion due to roadworks. The SatNav constantly tried to take me back to the track which I knew would be pointless as the diversions started kilometres away from the works and were over a significant distance. They were well signed but it meant ignoring the constant "turn around when possible" " take the next right and then turn right" etc etc.

Thanks Guys.

I had tried using the sync routes which creates a track but last week in France it sent me mad whenever there was a diversion due to roadworks. The SatNav constantly tried to take me back to the track which I knew would be pointless as the diversions started kilometres away from the works and were over a significant distance. They were well signed but it meant ignoring the constant "turn around when possible" " take the next right and then turn right" etc etc.
Which is exactly why a "track" can turn out to be the least useful of the three styles of *.gpx file for the purpose. They're great for seeing where you've been (building a track as you go and mapping it later), but often a mess for actually getting somewhere. They allow for no intelligence by the routing engine at all. They're nothing but a series of breadcrumbs, often at too frequent an interval for even for the intended purpose, that must be followed explicitly regardless of road/traffic conditions.

It's unfortunate that TomTom didn't continue to support their old itinerary (*.itn) files on anything but Rider units. These were more akin to the "waypoint" style *.gpx file which is what TomTom should have adopted from the outset rather than the proprietary *.itn. Each point specified needed to be visited (though you were allowed to skip) in sequence, but the routing engine was allowed to make decisions about the best way to achieve each of them given roadworks, traffic, etc. If you wanted to leave the routing engine less leeway in doing so, you added additional waypoints.

Last edited:
You are doing nothing wrong. You can either ignore the start point and just use the route when you need it when presumably you will be at the correct start point, or edit the route on the unit by choosing a start point on the map.
Being a novice at this how, exactly, is this done? If I search for the address of my starting point and then click on it on the map it gives me the option to use as a start point but does not flag it as such merely as an additional stop. I also seem to be getting the intermediate stops visited on the journey from my present location (home) to the intended start point and not on the planned journey. It is difficult to be sure what is planned as the intended planned journey is one leg of the return home from holiday and as such lies close to if not overlays the section from my home to the intended start point

The starting point is always your current position.
if you choose another starting point this starting point will always be an intermediate point compared to your current position.

What you can do is create a route from your current location to this starting point..

You also have the possibility of creating an outbound route and a return route.

Finding this really annoying. Want to add a bunch of places ahead of a holiday but it will no longer allow me to put the place where I wish using GPS coordinates; it appears to snap to the nearest building.

Any way of turning this off? I want to add to GPS on my PC rather than the device (where a place can still be dropped where you want to)

Finding this really annoying. Want to add a bunch of places ahead of a holiday but it will no longer allow me to put the place where I wish using GPS coordinates; it appears to snap to the nearest building.

Any way of turning this off? I want to add to GPS on my PC rather than the device (where a place can still be dropped where you want to)
At the moment it is not possible to deactivate.

Don't understand your question? It is not possible to add GPS on computer if that is your question.

Annoying, isn't it? I use coordinate data to create points, and it insists upon a nearby building with an address be used instead.

At the moment it is not possible to deactivate.

Don't understand your question? It is not possible to add GPS on computer if that is your question.

I think we got there, Willy. You can past GPS coords into the site but then it won't retain them in all cases, as it snaps to building. Canderson and I imagine others share my frustration on this.

In most cases adding points via coordinates works.

It is also possible to add a point via Mydrive.

I think we got there, Willy. You can past GPS coords into the site but then it won't retain them in all cases, as it snaps to building. Canderson and I imagine others share my frustration on this.
When you enter coordinates it is to search for a location such as a building or factory.
Of course, if you enter coordinates in the middle of nowhere you won't find them.

When you enter coordinates it is to search for a location such as a building or factory.
Of course, if you enter coordinates in the middle of nowhere you won't find them.
Nope. That's not why I enter coordinates. And previous to the current planner, it was always possible to enter a lat/long pair and have the planner use that location without being forced to an address. Most people who are going to a "building or factory" use an address or post code. And "the middle of nowhere" to you may well be my favorite camping spot in a national forest, or the location of a geocache.

In most cases adding points via coordinates works.
? Not so.
It never works unless the location you want is tied to the address that TomTom picks.

Let me give you an example. I need to visit the oil facility whose entrance is located at
40.13963, -104.98916
I use those coordinates in the TomTom planner so as to create my destination at the entrance of that facility.

Instead of placing my destination where i asked for it, TomTom picks the nearest building on a different side road at
40.13948, -104.99309

There's the problem clearly stated.

Bad Location.jpg

You can "Send Stops" to the device which will then be an .itn route on your device.
Once you have imported the .gpx to the new planner, click on the route and then click "Edit"
You then get two choices Description or Route, choose Route. Click on "Save as New" then click cancel on the pop up box, you will now see the "Export" function click Export and "Send Stops to Device"
The limit is still 20 stops, Et voila
I have struggled with saving routes as routes (as opposed to tracks) for as long as I’ve had my Ride 550. The method described here is pretty clunky, but it appears to work. Thanks!

Ask a Question