Settings reset after TomTom updates

TomTom Model(s)
Sony XNV-660BT
Hello,

Quick question. My TomTom is built into my dash and has a removable hard drive about the size of a wallet.
Almost every time I plug it to the computer through USB it says there is a, usually two, update for your TomTom.
What are these updates? They are usually anywhere from 400 kb to over 1 MB. What do these updates do?

Also when I install the updates and put the module back into the car, settings such as my sounds and home location etc. are reset.

Is there anyway to bypass this everytime I do an update?
These updates are almost daily. Do I have to do them everyday. If I don't what am I missing out on?

Thank you!
grcboy77

Probably one item is mapshare corrections. Another may be a gpsquickfix file.

You could certainly skip getting them every day. Every few days is good enough. Resettings sounds and Home locations is a symptom of the mapsettings.cfg file being overwritten every time. Shouldn't happen but sometimes it does.

Can you make an Explorer backup with your model? If so, copy the mapsettings.cfg file from a backed up map folder to the map folder on the device after updates take place. See if that helps.

Ask a Question