Screen re-calibration?

Well i tried to put a cal.txt file in my GO 730 and now there is no reactions when i press on the screen. I can't even connect it to my PC because it ask if i really want to connect to my PC, YES or NO but with unresponsive screen its not possible anymore. I can't even reset it using the reset "button". I wasted enough time on this s*** my new GPS device will be Garmin i guess. Anyone have other tips?
See Post #22 for getting out of the ditch when you supply a cal.txt file that won't even all you to answer the Yes/No question to connect to your PC. To repeat that information:

-----------------------------
In actual practice, there's a lot of trial and error involved, and it really is possible to entirely brick the unit with wrong numbers. The "save" if that happens is that if the device is plugged into the PC when the reset is performed [@Jant .. in your case, gently press the button on the bottom of your 730 with toothpick, paperclip, etc], it doesn't ask whether you want to connect (which would otherwise be a disaster when you can't even hit Yes / No !) and just connects automatically, providing the opportunity to load it up with yet another set of numbers. My first attempt was a "duh" moment, using the wrong number order that applied only to the really old firmware, and I just happened to recall the reboot-while-connected trick or I'd have been on really unhappy camper.

I have a Tomtom start20, with the same screen calibration issue. I tried to identify the cal.txt file but failed. When I connected it to a PC, the Tomtom device was never visible from the windows explorer. Can anyone please advise me how to find it?

All the sw are up to date and the tomtom mydrive connect is working (I can use it to update the maps).

Your Start 20 is what we call a Nav3 device, a full generation later than anything that can be adjusted with calibration files. You are correct, you can't see the file structure on these, either.
Nothing I know will help.

@Niranjan
Are you saying that when you press on the screen, it is selecting the wrong thing? If that is correct, you can try adjustment using a special calibration file in the root of your device. Can you tell us what is being selected when you press various places on the screen? Is everything too high or two low or left or right or ???

An adjustment can be made by placing a file called cal.txt in the root directory of your 720. All firmware versions since 8.051 require the sequence in this order:
MaxX MinX MaxY MinY
(where X = left/right and Y = up/down)

For Left/Right calibration:

MaxX affects the LEFT edge of the screen
Increase MaxX - touch point moves to the RIGHT of where you touched
Decrease MaxX - touch point moves to the LEFT of where you touched

MinX affects the RIGHT edge of the screen
Increase MinX - touch point moves to the RIGHT of where you touched
Decrease MinX - touch point moves to the LEFT of where you touched

For the Y axis, the process is the same only in the up/down axis.

I had this same problem with my old GO 740 and had to make some adjustment to access the bottom areas of the screen. My file looks like this:

926 77 830 200

If you press and hold the reset button in the bottom of your unit briefly. Now, press and hold the power button until the screen appears with white text on black background, then you can release the button. You will see a line on the screen that looks like this:

Touchscreen calib. data: 76 932 140 861

Beware! On THAT screen, the data is MinX MaxX MinY MaxY. Don't use that order when you create your cal.txt file! Anyway, this shows you where the unit calibration is by default if there is not any cal.txt file to change it., so you use this as a starting point for your adjustment. If your screen showed the numbers above, that would the same as if you had created the cal.txt file that looked like this: 932 76 861 140

You should create the file with Notepad or another very basic text editor that will allow you to create the file as BARE text and does not require line break at the end of lines.

If one's device does not have a reset button on the bottom of the device, how does one invoke a "default Calibration Value" in conjunction with the power on button? I need to understand what my defauly calibration values are before generating a "cal.txt" file.

Not sure what a reset has to do with this. That's not a method you need to employ.

You can identify the current values by holding the power button down for an extended period of time. Eventually, past the normal boot cycle, you get a white text on black screen. The factory default touchscreen values will be displayed there.

Not sure what a reset has to do with this. That's not a method you need to employ.

You can identify the current values by holding the power button down for an extended period of time. Eventually, past the normal boot cycle, you get a white text on black screen. The factory default touchscreen values will be displayed there.
Thank you for your assistance. Worked well. Now that I am ready to re-calibrate my TT XL IQ Routes, my white text screen states "touchscreen calib. data". This means I will need to use a "calib.txt" file for the root directory, right?

i have tried with calib.txt and cal.txt (i tried both separately not clashing both) neither seem to change anything for me. I have tried to change the calib and then rebooting and checking the firmware touchscreen calib data (the black screen that displays all the versions details) it still displays the default data unchanged even though i have changed the MinY values.

Could this be because my Navcore version is too old (TTgo.bif shows the navcore version to be ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=7828 and ApplicationVersion=8821 im guessing that should be pre 8.051) thus it doesnt work with calib or cal? would there be a way to update the navcore version then? (i have used tomtom home everything is updated to the latest though but the version number is still 7828)

or perhaps the calib / cal values are actually changed but it would not display the updated values in the touchscreen calib data screen?

Even if you load up both files, they won't clash. One would be ignored.
One thing we've found is that some users don't see the suffix names on files, and don't realize that the file has an additional ".txt" on the end, e.g., "cal.txt.txt" after the file is saved. Be sure that isn't the case.

Even if you load up both files, they won't clash. One would be ignored.
One thing we've found is that some users don't see the suffix names on files, and don't realize that the file has an additional ".txt" on the end, e.g., "cal.txt.txt" after the file is saved. Be sure that isn't the case.

nope not the case i use alot of file extensions myself too. i cant figure any other solution

But what if I cant access the TomTom device internal Memory i run my navcore on a sd Card Will putting the cal.txt in the root if the sd Card do the trick?

Yes. If your device is booting from an SD card, that's where you'd want to put the configuration file.

I've just read Canderson's reply from Dec 2016
"Your Start 20 is what we call a Nav3 device, a full generation later than anything that can be adjusted with calibration files. You are correct, you can't see the file structure on these, either.
Nothing I know will help."

I have a Start 50M (aka One XXL IQ Rts) for holidaying in the USA which I have been unsuccessfully trying to re-calibrate. It won't accept a revised cal.text or a calib.txt. Does my model fall in the same category of it not being possible to adjust?

Your Start 50 (serial number likely starting with letters "GU") is what we call a "Nav2" device that permits access to the file structure, so unlike Nav3 devices that came later, you can 'see' and manipulate the files on the device. I would have expected that it would cooperate with a calibration file, though I've not tried it on that particular unit. The Start 50 was one of the last of the Nav2 devices.

Is there anyone in Brisbane, Australia who would be able to do a recalibration for me for a fee of course? My TomTom is consistently one letter off. I can use a golf tee and choose a letter to the left but God forbid it starts with M or P as I cannot use the farthest right letters. Thanks.

Your Start 50 (serial number likely starting with letters "GU") is what we call a "Nav2" device that permits access to the file structure, so unlike Nav3 devices that came later, you can 'see' and manipulate the files on the device. I would have expected that it would cooperate with a calibration file, though I've not tried it on that particular unit. The Start 50 was one of the last of the Nav2 devices.

Canderson, thanks for your reply dated 16 August 2017 re my Start 50M. I can get a calib.txt file and a cal.txt file to sit in the tomtom folder on my PC but, no matter what I do, the new co-ordinates won’t transfer to the black screen on the tomtom itself.

So I tried a different approach, I got hold of a perfectly working Start 50 that I had discarded (because it was mid west USA only and no updates) and swapped screens with the 50M that was way out of calibration. The result was exactly the same, the working Start 50 screen was now 3 inches out of calibration when connected to the Start 50M unit.

So my guess is that some fault in the back half of the unit can cause a similar out-of-calibration problem which (even if I had managed to upload the cal.txt file) would presumably have made the trial & error recalibration a pointless exercise.

Those numbers do NOT transfer to the 'black screen'. The 'black screen' numbers are the default settings for the device which are overridden during the boot processby the file that you supply. Your new numbers will never appear on that diagnostic screen.
Sounds like you do have a different hardware problem far beyond a recalibration issue, though.

Hi, About a year ago, I have manually re calibrated my tomom and all was fine afterwards.

This week it has done it again, calibration file cal.txt is still in root but had to manually re calibrate it again (moved it a few pixels on the x axis)

How is this possible ? How did the calibration change by itself even with the cal.txt still there ?

The screen shifted in resistivity -- both before your original calibration, and again afterward, apparently. Just because you recalibrate once, that doesn't mean the screen itself can't change its characteristics again. That you have only done it twice on a unit as old as yours is actually not too bad.

Hi Guys,

I know this is digging up an old thread but I have a ONE 3rd Edition and the Y axis works fine, but the X axis is out of calibration. No matter where I press on the X axis, only the buttons on the far left of the screen activate. I've tried adjusting the values by creating a calib.txt file but I can't get the unit to change.

The readout from the device reads 104 910 116 875, which I have entered into a text file as 910 104 116 875.
I've tried adjusting the MaxX and MinX values but I'm not sure which way to adjust them to get the activation of my finger press to move further to the right on the screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Rob

Ask a Question