Screen re-calibration?

@billv
Can you describe the nature of the mis-calibration when you started?

I’m trying to resurrect my ONE after becoming very displeased with the lack of ‘Direction of Travel UP’ on my XL, 4ET03. However, I’m having no luck with required screen calibration. I’ve followed instructions from canderson and oldfogy to the letter, the new numbers (calib.txt) are accepted by the unit, but make no difference at all. I’ve loaded wild numbers - no change. I did find calib.txt files in the unit’s ‘Schemes’ and ‘Script’. I deleted the calib.txt from these files, and no difference, calib.txt now replaced. (??) Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Does TomTom know just how much business they've lost, and will lose, because of this no ‘Direction of Travel UP’ £$£$£ rip off? I’ll never buy another – but I don’t suppose they’ll notice.

It's been so long since I've needed to address the difference that I'm not sure without reading my own posts...

but

Are you sure you shouldn't be using a cal.txt file for that model instead of calib.txt? Goes in the root directory of the unit in any case.

It's been so long since I've needed to address the difference that I'm not sure without reading my own posts...but ...Are you sure you shouldn't be using a cal.txt file for that model instead of calib.txt? Goes in the root directory of the unit in any case.

Thanks, I should have mentioned that I've tried both calib.txt and cal.text. My unit's original numbers were;
107 919 98 863 which I turned into;
919 107 98 863. Is this change-over correct?

Don't think so. I believe your file should read 919 107 863 98 (Max Min Max Min)

Thanks. I've tried that sequence, 919 107 863 98 (Max Min Max Min) and then made huge changes to the numbers, 719 87 663 48, with no change at all to the screen errors. Nothing I do seems to make any difference. I think I must be missing something that'll be an embarrassment when it's discovered.

Just to triple check - where is the file located on your unit?

Thanks again. Two screen shots, combined. Is this correct. I've used both calib.txt and cal.txt No go.

tom1tom2.jpg

Yup - that's the spot .. right in the root of the device. I've never seen one that didn't respond to the file before.

Oh dear. I was looking forward to you exposing me as a prize prat and telling me to move the file to its correct place. Thanks for trying and please let me know if anything occurs to you.

I wonder if there's anything revealing on here?
PS. This unit is far superior to a one year old XL.

toma.jpg

No, you won't find anything there except the original factory setup that should be overridden by the file you are adding. By moving directly to the diag screen, you get the information that exists before the mod file is ever processed.

You were right of course. I started again and eliminated some unexplained finger trouble. Good as new! Thanks for you help.

Can you elaborate? What was changed that resolved your situation?

I wish I could tell you. My first attempt was interrupted three or four times and I think I may have stumbled on the .txt suffix, the bit which you warn is important!. My second wasn't and I went straight through your instructions. All working as new. Thanks again for you help.

calib.txt
Original. 107 919 98 863
New. 890 85 220 850

PS. The important point --- your instructions are clear, and work as intended.

Pleased to hear that. You really had me going there for a while!

Yes it works following the full directions. The Go 720 was originally 84 934 132 845 (forward order) Then it went for a *%&$. Could not hit any buttons to operate. I followed the full directions in this forum which weren't actually that tough: Sit 720 in cradle, power on, hit connect to computer, open (XP) file manager on IN DEVICE Memory Drive (did not have a name) , create a text file using NotePad saving the numbers in proper order as a CAL.TXT on the root of the drive. Power down, remove from cradle, test, and repeat. Do X or Y axis seperately and start slow till you feel the amount of movement. Too much and you will not be able to hit the start on "computer" button again. My new numbers by the way to prove how far off this calibration went south on me is: 934 84 200 40 (reverse recorded order). The recalibration was so precise I can even enter any button or field. Perfect recovery! Good luck everyone.

Recalibrated my 720:

Original Calibration settings: 927 80 843 135
Revised Calibration settings: 947 100 603 85

Everything seems to work fine now.

I have my TT GO 720 over five years. But in 2012, just after upgrading TT HOME, its screen was discalibrated. Since then I have been adjusting the screen by cal.txt file. Every time I connected the drive to the PC, its screen was corrupted, but I managed to re-calibrate it by cal.txt. Basically only the Y axis needed to be fitted.

But a few days ago, when connected to the PC and updated TT HOME, it has become totally discalibrated and I cannot find the correct coordinates to fix it and be able to press the "I agree" option.

My previous cal.txt file was: 928 75 15 5

I have a couple of questions:

1) By experience, as the Ymax Ymin values that I had to write in cal.txt have been lower and lower, negative values are allowed?

2) The new TomTom models, are they still using resistive screens? Do they have this problem of screen recalibration?

(I've asked the TomTom service about this problem and they say "you have to send the unit for repair to Romania"... I'm very surprised that they have not considered the problem of screen recalibration in their problems database yet, being as common as it seems).

1) I do not believe that negative values are permitted. In any case, we've not seen anyone in so deep a ditch as to think them necessary. Might be time to replace the digitizer (or more easily, the entire screen) on your unit.
2) Some do, yes, though it's too early to know what % of them will show this symptom. It usually occurs over a substantial length of time.

As for repair parts, we always seem to find them on eBay or similar sources, and the prices have been dropping over the last few years. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-LTE430...580?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e2533204 as an example. I don't know this specific seller, but it's an example.

Ask a Question