Samantha ...Confused

I bought a 130, used it for a few weeks and really liked it. Was on the road and unable to update. When I finally got to a computer I could use, I plugged in.

Gave me a new voice "Samantha". Now all of sudden, it gives she street names, where it didn't before. Great.

Figured my girl friend could really use a GPS unit (she's directionally challenged). So, bought another one. Plugged in, but no Samantha after the update.

Wonder what's happening. Thanks.

Well, the ONE 130 does not have the text-to-speech functionality, and the ONE 130S does. That functionality is needed for the Samantha computer voice.

Did you get yours used?

Out of the box it should have had Samantha if it was a 130S. It's odd that it wouldn't, unless it was used and the previous owner had deleted Samantha for whatever reason. Mine came with Samantha.

If your girlfriend's is not a 130S but just a 130, she can't use Samantha. If it IS a 130S and is missing Samantha, you can download it and install it using HOME -- just be aware that the computer voices are in a different screen than the non-computer voices, for some reason (just arrow over in the 'add' menu until you see it).

Thank you for your response.

I guess the second one I bought was just a 130. No marking on the units. Look the same. I didn't pay attention when I purchased the second one, thinking it would do the same things the first one did. My bad.

I dug the packagine out of the trash and it seems it is, in fact, a 130. So, I guess I'll give the 130S to my girl friend who needs all the help she can get. Fortunately, she won't be reading that comment. She's a bit defensive about her directionally-challenged handicap. ;)

Ask a Question