Safety Camera updates won't upload

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 125
I'm not having any problems with most of my TomTom HOME updates -- corrections download and upload, and everything's great. Except for Safety Camera uploads. I get this message on the "Changing Content" screen:

4. Retrieving safety camera reports from device
Safety camera reports retrieved

5. Your safety camera reports are uploading
(waits a while, with the "progress" bar showing activity)
HOME couldn't reach the TomTom server to upload your safety camera reports but they will be uploaded next time.​

This has been constant, for a week now.

The only thing strange in my setup is that I had to enter proxy server information so that TomTom HOME could connect from work. Could the TT programmers have forgotten to look at the proxy settings in the "upload safety cameras" code? (I'm a programmer myself, so I think of those things. :) )

So my questions:

* Are those with "normal" connections (no proxy server) having this problem?

* Is there anyone else who had to set up a proxy, and if so, does it work for you?

TT's servers are flaky at the best of times for so many different areas. This just may be one of them.

If the ul doesn't work when you try later, best you call support at 866-486-6866.

It's strange, though. I just got a connection error while downloading MapShare stuff, and it was an actual error, like I'd expect. A form pops up, you have the option to review the detailed error information, etc. And it went away when I tried again.

But when there's a problem with the safety camera reports (as there was again, even when everything else worked), it doesn't error -- it just displays the message on the screen with the other completion messages.

I'll probably call support when I get a chance. There are a lot of red-light cameras in the Dallas area that aren't in the database. It'll be a while, though -- busy at work at the moment.

The issue isn't worth a phone call, since I don't tend to run red lights myself :) , so I submitted an online inquiry. I got this interesting message in the email confirmation:
Your question has been received. Recently, we have been experiencing an unusually high number of incidents which has been affecting response times. You will receive a response from our support team as soon as possible.
I can't help but wonder... are there really an "unusually high number of incidents", or is that just a way of saying "Your call is important to us, but don't hold your breath"?

safty camera's

I'm not having any problems with most of my TomTom HOME updates -- corrections download and upload, and everything's great. Except for Safety Camera uploads. I get this message on the "Changing Content" screen:

4. Retrieving safety camera reports from device
Safety camera reports retrieved

5. Your safety camera reports are uploading
(waits a while, with the "progress" bar showing activity)
HOME couldn't reach the TomTom server to upload your safety camera reports but they will be uploaded next time.​

This has been constant, for a week now.

The only thing strange in my setup is that I had to enter proxy server

information so that TomTom HOME could connect from work. Could the TT
programmers have forgotten to look at the proxy settings in the "upload safety cameras" code? (I'm a programmer myself, so I think of those things. :) )

So my questions:

* Are those with "normal" connections (no proxy server) having this problem?

* Is there anyone else who had to set up a proxy, and if so, does it work for you?

Am I crazy but tom tom support said that because of different problems in different states so far ther are no safety or red light cameras that can be installed via tom tom home I have the 920

I just got the reply, which confirms what you said:
Dear Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support in regard to accessing Safety Cameras. We are always happy to help.

As a European based company, we service many different countries through our website. Safety Cameras are only offered for our United Kingdom subscribers at this time. These alerts are not legally permitted for use in the United States at this time. As such, we cannot anticipate when they may be permitted for use here. We apologize for any confusion that this may have caused.

Thank you for choosing TomTom for your navigation needs. If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST or Saturday, 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Erica
TomTom Customer Support
My questions would be:

1) Why offer me a service (even a free one) that I can't take advantage of? I'll remove it via Home, but I know I'll keep getting bugged to add it back.

2) If it's "illegal", then why are there several red-light cameras in the map for Dallas?

3) I know they're on the other side of the pond and all, but surely they've heard of this thing we have here called the "First Amendment". Freedom of speech includes the freedom to point and laugh, even at a camera.

But I know the answers. The answer to 1 is that they don't have enough coders to fully support North America. The answer to 2 is, "oops." The answer to 3 is that they don't have enough lawyers to fully support North America.

I did send a note back, though. I was able to "remove" the Safety Cameras feature, but I can't get HOME to quit attempting to upload the locations I've already reported.

TomTom 125

Can anyone help me from start to finish. I need to find a good website for red light camera locations and put that info my 125? I will even pay you - I can send my 125 to you too ! Thanks Randy in Delaware-- (e-mail address removed)

Got a reply from TT:
Dear Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to update your incident. We have several suggestions that will assist you in removing the Safety Camera info from prompting you in TomTom HOME.

We first ask that you walk through the instructions provided (titled for another issue) on our website to restore your device to it's state prior to downloading the Safety Cameras. These steps can be found under the second option 'Did this occur after downloading updates OR manually adding/deleting files from the TomTom?' on our website at:

http://www.tomtom.com/2053

We also ask that you clear the downloads folder on your computer. We understand that you are a computer programmer, but will provide our recommended steps for this process below:

- Select 'My Computer' from your computer desktop.

- Select 'My Documents'.

- Select 'TomTom'.

- Select 'HOME'.

- Open 'Downloads' and delete all information found.
I kinda feel bad -- I should know from my days on the support desk that there's nothing worse than trying to tell a programmer how to fix a problem. We know just enough to be dangerous, and worse yet, we typically won't confess that we did anything wrong! :)

As for the first part -- that's the delete and reload the unit's OS procedure. I already did that, downgrading to 7.x and then back up to 8.010, losing my favorites and other settings each time. I don't feel like doing that again.

I tried the second part, and it didn't do any good. :(

But I'm not going to bug TomTom about it... I suspect I've done other things that will make the process not work properly. Moving the TomTom files from My Documents to another drive, for example. I'm probably better off getting advice here, and I'll learn more to boot.

I'm looking forward to when my map expires. I'll get a new unit (for about the price of a new map), and this one will be my hacking toy.

FWIW, I never did get HOME to quit trying to send camera reports until I got desperate today, and started deleting stuff. I found a couple of suspiciously-name files, offline.cam and report.cam, in the "statdata" directory on the unit, and deleted them. (Full backup before, of course, just in case!)

It worked! Finally, no more "sorry, try again" message when I'm updating! Yay!

Interestingly, when I installed HOME on a new PC this past weekend, it asked if I wanted to start getting Safety Camera updates, and specifically said "USA/Canada". I declined, knowing what a headache that option caused. Maybe someday, they'll hire some US-based product testers. :)

Has anyone in AUSTRALIA had this exact same problem about safety camera reports not uploading?

It happens to me every time I connect my unit.

Reporting of speed camera locations is legal here so there shouldn't be any issue.

Ask a Question