Route Calculation Question

Went up to Kincardin Ontario today, and about 40 minutes into the trip the unit anounces that it found a route that was shorter by 20 minutes and so I want to take it. Of course I said yes, but it makes me wonder why it didn't find it in the first place. It must be rechecking at different times along the route which is good I guess, but I am surprised that it was so far off the best route on the first calculation. Have others had this happen.

... I am surprised that it was so far off the best route on the first calculation. Have others had this happen.
What model do you have? One with traffic enabled? If so, you may have just discovered one of the nice things about that feature -- when things change ahead, your TomTom will make an effort to steer you onto a faster course.

It does have that capability (XL350 TM), but not where I was unfortunately. The unit must also recalculate and check against the current route even if there is no traffic.

Dunno. I've never had it recalculate a new route unless either 1) there were traffic issues involved, or 2) I neglected to follow the original route and it recalculated based upon my new position.

Just thinking about this some more. I have traffic, and I am thinking that the logic might force a recalc at some point in time to check for a faster route?

Ask a Question