Red Light Camera Warning

TomTom Model(s)
Go 930 and Go 700
I can't seem to find anywhere on my device that allows me to add a warning sound for a Red Light Camera. I would assume it is possible since the sounds can be downloaded from TomTom home. Could someone be so kind to inform on how this is done?

Thank You!

I believe the downloaded sound file is a .ogg file and should go into the sounds folder and named exactly the same as the ov2 for the red light camera.

But someone with more experience in that area hopefully will come along with a better reply.

You can also pm this user, mikealder, who is VERY experienced in all things involving safety and red light cameras.

You can download pre-recorded audio files of the right type from This Page, when you have chosen the actual voice you want make sure you select either the Consolidated or Speed Zoned download as either of these contain the redlight warning you want. Liz Whitaker is the one I use all the time if you want a matching navigation voice recorded by Liz PM me your e-mail address and I can send it over.

With the download unzipped you will hve a number of ogg files, you need to rename the redlight warning file name to exactly match your redlight POI file.

Put the renamed ogg file into your map folder along with all the POI files and start up the TomTom.

Go to Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn When Near POI and find your redlight camera, if its already been configured select it again and answer NO to the question about removing the warning, if you have never had this configured select the RedLight camera from the list.

Enter a distance, select the option "Sound effect" the device will then show a screen with the mesage "Is this the sound you want to select" - it won't play anything for you to hear but press YES, (if you press No the device will lock up requiring a prod with a paperclip in the reset hole). If you don't get the Yes/ No option and the device still offers all the normal built in sounds your ogg file is probably incorrectly named. Set the Warn only if POI is on route as per your own preference.

To test this is working either go out for a run in the car or use the AtoB Advance Planning and create a route that goes past a camera, put the unit into demo mode and sit back watch/ listen what happens - Mike

Red Light Camera Function Making Me RED!

Well there in lies the problem, I do not show any type of Safety or Red Light Camera in my POI. However I have downloaded it from TomTom Home and it currently shows its on my device. :confused:

Well I figured out that the red light camera warning sounds are not located in the POI files. It is accessed through TomTom Services. I was able to change the warning once I deselected the red light camera and then reselected it. It then gave me the option to change the warning sounds.

Thanks for the help!

For the method I detailed earlier in terms of set up you must use a true POI file in the ov2 file format, if its something that is offered/ downloaded from TomTom the chances are it simply won't be able to offer spoken alerts - Mike

If you go to Manage POIs add POI redlight category, then add the redlight POIs to this catagory. YOu then can go to warn when near POI and under the correct catagory you can add different sounds

Ask a Question