Quick Question - TomTom 920

I haven't put my TomTom to much use since I bought it and had a quick question. My dad is going to use it tomorrow and I was wondering: If I set an address in my TomTom 920 and then turn it off, once he turns it back on (regardless of where he is), will the TomTom guide him to the destination I entered for him earlier on in the day? Or are extra steps needed once it's been turned on again?

Thanks!

If you enter a destination and begin navigation, then turn off your 920, it will reload it when you turn it back on and continue where it left off.

Gothca!

So one must "begin navigation" first before turning it off?

Basically, are you saying that it is not possible to enter the destination in my home, and then turn it off right then and there (in my home still), and then have my father turn it on once he gets in the car, and have it guide him to the destination I entered at home? I have to set up the destination in my home, leave it ON, have him drive a bit, THEN turn it off?

You don't have to begin driving for the destination route to stay active, but at least hit go.

Another method:

1. Manage Favourites-->Add Favourite-->Enter address. Save.
2. Shut off unit
3. When unit is turned on, user Navigates to-->Favourite. Selects the Favourite entered. Chooses method (Fastest, Shortest, etc.)

That's it!

I got the impression he was trying to keep his Dad from having to do anything but turn the 920 on. He might be thinking that all of us "old guys" have problems with tech;)

You have to complete the process of establishing a destination and a route from your home. In other words, all the way from tapping the screen and selecting Navigate To through the display where you are shown how far it is and how long it will take and you press Done. No driving has to occur. At that point you can turn off the 920. When your dad turns it on it will pick up where it left off and direct him to the destination. If he takes the 920 somewhere else before he starts his trip and turns it on, it will determine where it is and recalculate a route. Hope this helps.

Before giving it to your dad, you may want to 'clear the route' before turning it off. That is of course if you want him to enter his own destination when he uses it.
I would also show him how to clear his route before he enters a new one. It is not a big deal if he arrives to his destination first, but always good to know ;)

Ask a Question