Pronunciation Problems with XXL 540

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540 TM
I'm new to this forum and am still trying to find my way around, so this post is probably in the wrong place.

I have a brand new XXL 540, and everything is good except the way it pronounces things. Instead of the 101 Freeway, it's the "1 West 1" Freeway. Los Angeles is "Los An-hai-las", etc. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to fix it? TomTom is willing to replace my GPS, but I'm not sure the next one won't do the same thing.

Again, I apologize if this message should have been posted elsewhere. I'm still learning.

Thom, I tried the link that you provided, and hopefully fixed the "Los Angeles" pronunciation part. Now I have to tackle the "1 West 1" issue. That looks a little trickier, as I'm not as computer savvy as everyone else here. I'm still not sure how to get into certain files without blowing something up.

At any rate, thanks for the link!

rustybirman99, since going on these boards, I've fixed my "los an-hail-oss" (Los Angeles) and "1 west 1" (101) problems. I appreciate the advice and the links. What a learning experience!

Now I need to deal with my "Dr" problem. The voice is supposed to say "Drive", but it says "Doctor" instead. While it's very cute to hear "Turn right on Riverside Doctor," it does get old after a while. So that fix is next on my list.

Thank you for the help!

bonzomom or moderators, I now get the spoken "doctor" instead of "drive" when I did not before. I made the "cphoneme" correction again after the latest map update AND I went into Loquendo/data files and set "DR","DR.", "dr","dr." all on separate lines to equal "drive" with no success. What should I try next ? Thanks.

Ask a Question