Problems speaking street names

Hi all,

Been lurking for a few weeks since purchasing a 720 - great forum.

I'm having a problem w/ TTS. The unit at times does not speak the street name as I approach a turn. When this happens it actually doesn't say anything. I always get the early notification at about 1/4 mile from the turn. Normally at about 400 feet it says "turn right on xxx road", but sometimes I get nothing. I returned one unit to Crutchfield for this problem, but the 2nd one is exactly the same.

Is this a known problem? Is there a fix? Appreceiate the help.

Thanks -Randy

Hi all,

Been lurking for a few weeks since purchasing a 720 - great forum.

I'm having a problem w/ TTS. The unit at times does not speak the street name as I approach a turn. When this happens it actually doesn't say anything. I always get the early notification at about 1/4 mile from the turn. Normally at about 400 feet it says "turn right on xxx road", but sometimes I get nothing. I returned one unit to Crutchfield for this problem, but the 2nd one is exactly the same.

Is this a known problem? Is there a fix? Appreceiate the help.

Thanks -Randy
Which version of the map and application are you running. Also which voice do you have activated?

Thanks for the reply - should have provided this is the 1st place.

firmware is 7.221

Maps should be the latest - just downloaded a few days ago.

Voice is Susan

Thanks for the reply - should have provided this is the 1st place.

firmware is 7.221

Maps should be the latest - just downloaded a few days ago.

Voice is Susan

You should check your map version by tapping the lower right on the driving view screen, then tap on the box the reports Version 7.221. Look for Map North_America v this is the version number. If it is 710, then you have the latest. Is the problem isolated to just one area or is it everywhere? Does Susan give the annoucement and the direction without the street name or does she simply miss speaking at all?:eek:

You should check your map version by tapping the lower right on the driving view screen, then tap on the box the reports Version 7.221. Look for Map North_America v this is the version number. If it is 710, then you have the latest. Is the problem isolated to just one area or is it everywhere? Does Susan give the annoucement and the direction without the street name or does she simply miss speaking at all?:eek:

The map version is v710.1584

The problem is sporadic. I've been testing on my trip to and from work. Some times it will speak the street and other times it won't (the exact same street/turn), so I don't think it's a map problem. The display is always correct.

When this happens, Susan says nothing. I approach the turn and there is no announcement at all. As I said above, I've had the exact same problem on 2 different 720's so was thinking this is an inherent problem with the TTS, but want to be sure before I decide to keep or return this unit.

Thanks -Randy

The map version is v710.1584

The problem is sporadic. I've been testing on my trip to and from work. Some times it will speak the street and other times it won't (the exact same street/turn), so I don't think it's a map problem. The display is always correct.

When this happens, Susan says nothing. I approach the turn and there is no announcement at all. As I said above, I've had the exact same problem on 2 different 720's so was thinking this is an inherent problem with the TTS, but want to be sure before I decide to keep or return this unit.

Thanks -Randy

I use Susan as well and sometimes the street name is not announced for me, either. You could try any of the other 3 English speaking computer voices available for download (two british and a male US) to see if it makes a difference. I don't consider the problem a deal breaker; but, that's me.

I use Susan as well and sometimes the street name is not announced for me, either. You could try any of the other 3 English speaking computer voices available for download (two british and a male US) to see if it makes a difference. I don't consider the problem a deal breaker; but, that's me.

Thanks - I'm not sure if it's a deal breaker for me either, but want to confirm that it's not just my unit that's having this problem.

Anyone else having this issue??

Maybe I'll try another voice - thanks again

Thanks - I'm not sure if it's a deal breaker for me either, but want to confirm that it's not just my unit that's having this problem.

Anyone else having this issue??

Maybe I'll try another voice - thanks again

I use Mandy and this also happens to me. Sometimes she will state the name of the road to turn on and sometimes she won't but she always states to turn left or right.

I use Mandy and this also happens to me. Sometimes she will state the name of the road to turn on and sometimes she won't but she always states to turn left or right.

Now, **that's interesting**. If I remember correctly, Mandy is NOT a computer voice. And only computer voices are supposed to have the ability to say street names. If indeed you are getting streets announced -- even sometimes -- with a non-computer voice, well, as I said, interesting!:p

well, I downloaded one of the British female voices (Kate) but the problem continues. Same symptom - TTS speaks the street name most of the time, but not always.

Is anyone else experiencing this??

Thanks -Randy

I use Susan and she always announces the street name right before the actual turn for me. Perhaps it has something to do with your voice preference settings. Maybe not.

I use Susan and she always announces the street name right before the actual turn for me. Perhaps it has something to do with your voice preference settings. Maybe not.

Thanks. I've tried changing some of the speaking preferences but it doesn't seem to help. Same story with either Kate or Susan as my voice.

Are there really only a couple of us with this problem?

As I said, this is my 2nd 720 and they both have performed essentially the same. If people who read this thread would respond yeah or nay if they are also experiencing this it would help me decide if I should send this one back and try for a third time, or just live with it. Responses appreciated! Thanks

this only happens to me when I have a non computer voice selected. Susan always speaks the names for me. However Kathy does not.

Thanks. I've tried changing some of the speaking preferences but it doesn't seem to help. Same story with either Kate or Susan as my voice.

Are there really only a couple of us with this problem?

As I said, this is my 2nd 720 and they both have performed essentially the same. If people who read this thread would respond yeah or nay if they are also experiencing this it would help me decide if I should send this one back and try for a third time, or just live with it. Responses appreciated! Thanks
OK -- this is just a gut reaction to my (thus far) limited experience with my 720. Is there a chance that whether the street name is pronounced JUST as you are about to make a turn has to do with how recently you have already been advised of the street name for the next turn? Let's say you turn onto a street and there's only 1/3 mile or so before the next turn, and you're advised at the 1/3 mile point of the street name, is whether you get the name right at the turn the same as if you'd already been on the current street for 2 miles?

Need to start watching this to put together a pattern, but I can't get over the feeling that it has to do with how fast the turn sequences occur and the distance to the next turn after you've been given the street name already.

Just to chime in, mine also sporadically decides to pronounce various street names...

I first noticed it when I came home from somewhere and Susan wouldnt say "Garrick Lane", I thought, well maybe she doesnt want to say that one....lol, then a few days later, she DID say turn left on Garrick Lane. Now she sometimes does and sometimes doesnt....no pattern, dont know why she doesnt all the time.

It could also be that you are coming fast enough to the turn that it decides that it doesn't have time to make the announcement, so it may decide not to announce the road name. This may also be tied to how recently it announced the name...I've only had my 720 for a few weeks now and now I'll see if that's true tomorrow...

OK -- this is just a gut reaction to my (thus far) limited experience with my 720. Is there a chance that whether the street name is pronounced JUST as you are about to make a turn has to do with how recently you have already been advised of the street name for the next turn? Let's say you turn onto a street and there's only 1/3 mile or so before the next turn, and you're advised at the 1/3 mile point of the street name, is whether you get the name right at the turn the same as if you'd already been on the current street for 2 miles?

Need to start watching this to put together a pattern, but I can't get over the feeling that it has to do with how fast the turn sequences occur and the distance to the next turn after you've been given the street name already.

yeah, that's a thought I've had as well. I can understand that, if the street name was announced at say the 1/2 mile mark, maybe Susan would decide to not say it again when it's time to turn. However, I'd at least expect her to say "turn right" even w/o the street name. What I get is nothing at all, so if you're not paying attention and/or don't look at the map you could easily sail right past the turn.

Also, the speed at which I'm approaching the turn doesn't seem to matter. I've driven several miles up to a turn, had an announcement at the 1/2 or 1/4 mile point of "left turn ahead" and then when I get to the actual turn, nothing is said at all. At other times I've had several turns in quick succession and Susan has made every announcement perfectly. Very random...

Thanks for the reply. -Randy

Just to chime in, mine also sporadically decides to pronounce various street names...

I first noticed it when I came home from somewhere and Susan wouldnt say "Garrick Lane", I thought, well maybe she doesnt want to say that one....lol, then a few days later, she DID say turn left on Garrick Lane. Now she sometimes does and sometimes doesnt....no pattern, dont know why she doesnt all the time.

Exactly the same for me. I've been testing on my normal route to work. The street names and turns she didn't announce today she did yesterday, and vice versa. No pattern, no logic to it.

Been using mine since Christmas day and have not experienced this issue. Then again, I turned off the street names and just have it it tell "Turn Right" without the extras.

Ask a Question