Problem with TT Home, v. 2.8.0.2146

TomTom Model(s)
XL340 TM
I have two XL340's - a year-old 340s and a brand new 340tm. I used the latest map guarantee to update my map, and I moved a copy of our favorites to the new gps. I had just entered my activation code for the map subscription when TomTom HOME told me there was a critical software update I should install, v. 2.8.0.2146.

After installing that update, when HOME opened, it tried to check to see if I needed any updates and immediately I got an error "We're sorry, but HOME can't complete that task. Please try again later, or contact customer support. For problems with items that are stored on your device, we advise you to remove and re-install the item." When I looked at the details, it showed my map file as the problem.

When I close the error message after sending a copy to tomtom, HOME seems to operate OK, but no matter what menu button I choose, it gives me the same darn error before taking me to my choices. I haven't been checking the details since the first time, but have been sending the reports to tomtom.

I rebooted, but still get the same error. I tried using the older gps with the same results, so it isn't confined to my new device. Next, I went to another computer which still has HOME 2.7, and I do not get these error messages with either gps. I road-tested the new gps, and it is working just fine: favorites transferred correctly, safety camera alerts are working, and everything seems normal.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I don't think there's anything wrong with my actual GPS; the problem seems to be with the HOME update. Should I uninstall HOME and reinstall? Any other ideas? :confused:

Yes - I'd been getting the same error messages from Home 2.8 since installing it yesterday. In each case, I ignore them with the OK and things progress just fine.

Based upon the details of the error log, it appeared to be complaining about some older map versions that were on my PC. First it bitched about 845, and I didn't need that, so I removed it via Home. It then started to gripe about map 715 (?!?) The only copy of that was in an old Home backup in the "FromDevice" folder for my 720. Deleted the map folder manually from there. That finally made it happy.

If you check "Details", you'll see whatever it's griping about on your machine.

Thanks, CAnderson. I just looked at "details" again, and sure 'nuf, the map it chokes on is the version that's on our older GPS unit, the one that didn't come with lifetime updates. I don't want to delete that because it's my only backup. I suspect that if I were to delete that file, it would immediately choke on the original file from our new GPS since I did do a complete internal memory backup on the new one before I updated that map.

I called TomTom support, and they're aware of the problem. Reverting to version 2.7 might help, but TT support told me that I'd be continually interrupted by nags to upgrade to 2.8, so I may just wait it out.

At least I know there's nothing to worry about!

Thanks, CAnderson. I just looked at "details" again, and sure 'nuf, the map it chokes on is the version that's on our older GPS unit, the one that didn't come with lifetime updates.
You could copy that problem map folder to another location outside of the HOME directory where Home wouldn't ever see it unless you moved it back for it to find. Might shut off the nags.

Ask a Question