Planning tours - help please !

Today I tried planning a tour but didn't get very far.

What I expected to be able to do was nothing unusual for a biker:
- use the TomTom Route Planner to define precise routes with plenty of curves, little traffic and smaller roads
- upload these complete tours from the planner to my Rider 2

I can't find out how to make a custom route in the planner, nor can I see a way to upload routes from the Planner to the device. In fact, I'm not really clear what the Route Planner is really supposed to be for - I can't find anything that Google maps doesn't do, and even worse, I can't find critical features that Google maps has like being able to grab the original route at any point and bend it round exactly the way you like, with the route immediately updated.

What I ended up doing was throwing lots of the places on the route I wanted to create into an itinerary on the device, one by one. Very tedious, and I can't see how to save this route (or multiple routes) to be used at a later date.

Help please !

Thanks dhn !

That's a step in the right direction, but when I open Google Maps with TYRE, I get a limited Google Maps version which is lacking the "Drag to change route" tool that's so practical. What I'd like to do is choose my destination, have the route calculated automatically, and then bend the route with the "Drag to change route" tool wherever I see fit. Without this tool, I still have to set waypoints one by one rather than just bending the route, and the old route remains. Using the "Drag to change route" tool I can create a custom route within a minute or so, using waypoints takes much longer and doesn't seem to cancel out the originally calculated route properly either.

BTW, what's the TomTom Route Planner for then? I can't see any use for it unless you want to leave straight away and want to see the current traffic for the whole route. I'm very disappointed with it. The Rider is much more expensive than equivalent TomTom car navigation systems but seems to be completely lacking in motorcycle specific route-planning features.

Oh, sorry.......

You are right, you have to set the waypoints rather than Google figure the route and transfer it.

Just found a way to do it!

In Google Maps, when you've got the route ready, click on the Link button at top right. Then copy the top link (right-click/copy or Ctrl-C).

Now in Tyre, go to File --> Import from Website and then paste in the link and click Import. This will open the route you made before as in the Tyre Google map window. Now click on the Link button at bottom right - this will close the Tyre map window and you're back in the Tyre main menu. Now click the red Copy to TomTom button and you're done !

You can also save the itinerary file to your PC for later if you like via File --> Save

I am going watch this thread cuase this is exactly what I'm trying to do. I don't need point to point I want to have "complicated" routes worked out. I have a handheld for motorcycle use. I can use google or a couple of different software to create routes that can be saved as files and uploaded to GPS units

I am going watch this thread cuase this is exactly what I'm trying to do. I don't need point to point I want to have "complicated" routes worked out.
Have a look at the URL posted by bennyk, it might just do what you want.
I will play with it some times to see if my test failed on the number of points (25) or the approx. distance (9000 mile).

Here is a free program I use for planning an itinerary. Don't know why Tomtom Home is so poorly done. It is called TYRE 'trace your route everywhere'. It also allows you to import Garmin and Google maps etc. on to your Tomtom Rider
Mike

Tyre

This is a very good thread.. as I was completely confused as well.. One question on Tyre.. when you transfer the info to TomTom.. with the red button, does the unit have to be connected, or will it work the next time it is connected (my unit is outside on my scooter)..
Thanks

Well something has to be connected. I have transfered itinerarys to my Rider 2 while it was connected to the pc. I have also transfered to the SD card while it was plugged into my pc. I recommend your Rider being connected. Download and follow the instruction pdf on how to bring up the itinerary on your TomTom after the transfer. It is realy very easy.
Mike

Maybe I misunderstood your question. Yes you can plan a trip and save it to your pc. And down load it to your TomTom at a later time. You can save several trips on your pc just give them different names.I just created a file where I could store and find them easily. Depending on the size of your sd card the TomTom can hold more than one trip as well.
Mike

Hi Araj - I have a TomTom GO730. I'm having difficiulty importing a "customized" route from google to my TomTom. I followed your directions up to and including the copy from tyre to TomTom. At that point, is there something more that I must do? Where on the TomTom will I find my customized google mapping/directions? I'm not seeing them. Please feel free to email me directly at: (e-mail address removed) Thanks! VinnyC

The custom route file has an extension of .itn and should go in the itn folder.

Call up itinerary planning on your unit then 'load' and see if it's listed.

still having trouble

Have a TTXL. I am able to get into import my revised google map into tyre. Can't import this revised route from tyre into my TT. It imports the original unrevised google map into my TT !!!. I can't see the RED button in TYRE

Ask a Question