Non-existing streets on map

TomTom Model(s)
XP335 XP340
How do I get non-existing streets removed from maps? I have been trying to get 2 roads that show on the maps that aren't there near my home corrected for over a year.

The roads have never existed and never will exist yet the GPS always tries to route me on them.

I have marked them as errors at least 50 times and had them uploaded but they never are corrected.

I just bought a new XL335 thinking that surely they would be correct on the newest maps but they are still there. What can I do to get the maps fixed that I haven't done so far?:confused:

You can try reporting directly to TeleAtlas, the mapping division of TomTom.

Link here:
Map Insight

and hope the info: 1) Is included by Teleatlas for map 875 (not a typo, map data for next month's 870 release is already 'in the grinder') and 2) TomTom in a future (875??) map includes the correction.

How do I get non-existing streets removed from maps? I have been trying to get 2 roads that show on the maps that aren't there near my home corrected for over a year.
It is possible to 'block' those roads with your unit so that it won't continue to try to route you onto them. How are you marking them?

If the streets don't exist at all, you can use

Main Menu
Right arrow
Map corrections
Correct a map error
(Un)block street
choose one of the options to locate the street
select so that only that street shows up "green"
Done

Last edited:
As I said in my original post I have tried marking them about 50 times or more but they are never changed.

As I said in my original post I have tried marking them about 50 times or more but they are never changed.
And in your original post, you also said ...
the GPS always tries to route me on them.
So you can understand why I'm pressing the point. If properly marked on your unit, your unit will NOT attempt to use them for routing of any kind. You'll see a purple dashed line (at least that's the color mine uses) to indicate that the road is unavailable if you view it from a map or driving view. Something is amiss.

Ahh, Maybe the ones I've seen ARE just mistakes then! :p

(Obviously the mapping companies never admit which ones are their deliberate ones).

Most of the time in our area, I've found that phantom roads are often the result of unbuilt subdivisions that were indicated on local governmental maps as platted for future designs - and were subsequently never built due to lack of funds. Sometimes you'll see that the dirt was scraped, and sometimes even that curbs were laid, but sometimes there's nothing there but a farmer's field.

And in your original post, you also said ... So you can understand why I'm pressing the point. If properly marked on your unit, your unit will NOT attempt to use them for routing of any kind. You'll see a purple dashed line (at least that's the color mine uses) to indicate that the road is unavailable if you view it from a map or driving view. Something is amiss.
I have already marked them as you said to but I did it again and then redid the previous route and it still wanted me to drive on the blocked street.

Do you see the dashed line overlaying the road that you have marked when you are in a map view or driving view?

Did you have any trouble selecting the road segment you were trying to delete - in other words, could you turn just the bit you needed to a green color stripe on the road for verification during your selection?

The problem might be that the route is starting on the blocked street. If you get "on" a blocked road, the TomTom will let you navigate on it, it will act as if it's not blocked (since it believes that you are riding on it).

They built a library around my area on the right of way of a proposed road that was never built. Although it is marked as blocked, if I leave the library, the GPS will tell me to travel on the inexistant road, rather than going back on the closest "real" road.

I don't think there is any way to change that.

Do you see the dashed line overlaying the road that you have marked when you are in a map view or driving view?

Did you have any trouble selecting the road segment you were trying to delete - in other words, could you turn just the bit you needed to a green color stripe on the road for verification during your selection?
I was using the correct map error option before and used the (un)block menu item I had not noticed before. I guess the map correction thing doesn't work but it looks like the (un)block menu item works.

Followup: I tried a new route and it still sends me on the blocked street so I guess it didn't work!

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I was using the correct map error option before and used the (un)block menu item I had not noticed before. I guess the map correction thing doesn't work but it looks like the (un)block menu item works.

??? I don't understand...

"Correct a map Error" is the main menu heading, and inside that are several sections - for blocking roads, changing the speed limit, editing the street name adding or removing a roundabout etc. Which one were you using?

Followup: I tried a new route and it still sends me on the blocked street so I guess it didn't work!

Well either there's something VERY odd going on, or the road hasn't been blocked properly somehow.
Are you able to give exact details of the road in question so that someone else can try your correction too?

OK, my beginning point is 454 Alta Dr. Star Valley Ranch, WY 83127. My destination is 175 Evergreen Dr. Idaho Falls, ID 83401 and I used fastest route.

The directions follow Alta Dr to Vista Dr to Vista West Dr. then on Wist West Dr.to the extension of County Road 116 which is the road that does not exist. I have blocked it several times and it says the change is saved but the next time I start the TomTom the change is gone.

The other street I have blocked multiple times is south of the one i just described, it runs from the most southwesterly point on Sugar Loaf Dr. and connects to

It should have continued westerly to County Road 117 (Muddy String Road) and then gone north on 117.

I just made the block corrections again and then planned the trip and it did it correctly. I then restarted the TomTom and had it plan the route again and it was back to using the non-existent street.

Can you do this, please? Download and run the Clear Flash tool and run it 3 times. You don't get much user feedback, just the installation process also causes it to run.

May not help but it won't hurt.

Get it here: Clear Flash tool

I just made the block corrections again and then planned the trip and it did it correctly. I then restarted the TomTom and had it plan the route again and it was back to using the non-existent street.

That seems to be the crux of the matter! Your corrections are being made, but not being remembered!

If mvl's clearflash suggestion doesn't fix it, maybe check the file attributes of all the MapShare-related files to see if any have become "read-only"? (It's another long shot....)

Next step would be a software reinstall if you haven't already.

I ran the clear flash four times, blocked the streets again and it said the changes were saved. I then re-planned the route without a reboot and it planned correctly.

I then rebooted and checked the route again and it was putting me back over the supposedly blocked street. When I checked the street it was unblocked again.

What is the proper procedure to reinstall the software?

Connect to the computer. Make an Explorer, not Home backup of your unit's contents.

Then use Explorer to delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Connect to Home. Install the application offered. Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

Try it now.

Ask a Question