Newbie question about SD card

New user here. I've been spending tons of time on sites reading faqs so I wouldn't have to ask dumb questions but I'm kind of stumped and TomTom support only points me to their faqs that aren't helping me. Anyway, Sorry for the basic questions.

Brand new TomTom One. Works great out of the box. Being a programmer, of course I need to tweak:) I was under the impression that it came with and SD card but it didn't. I had an old 1 gig SD card that I plugged in. I can see the files on it in explorer, and deleted some old ones, so the unit recognizes the card fine. I installed the TT app to it using TT Home. Boots ok with the card in place but it can't find a map. I don't see a way to access the internal memory so I can't just copy it. I don't see an option to install the map from the CD using TT Home. Maybe I can manually copy it if it's on the CD somewhere? Is a 1 gig big enough for the US map?

When the SD card is not inserted, can you see the contents of the TomTom in Windows Explorer? If so, you can copy the map folder to your hard drive, then to the SD card.

I'm not sure why you want to do this. When you insert the SD card, it bypasses the internal memory. You can't use both at the same time.

Most people use the SD card because they have a 2nd map (Europe, for example) that they want to use.

No, I can't see the contents of internal memory when the SD card isn't loaded. Not through explorer at least, and I can't find a way with TT Home.

Ok, maybe I'm trying to do something that I don't need to do. I want to install custom POI files. Custom voices would be cool also, but I'm mostly interested in POIs. I thought that you had to install them in the same folder as the map file. I don't see a way to do this through TT Home without buying their POIs. Perhaps I'm going about this all wrong.

Thanks for your help.

I would recommend that if you are going to use an SD card, use a 2GB one as you already have 1GB internal memory.

If you use the 1GB SD card, the TT1 device disables internal memory and uses the SD card exclusively. As you can see, you don't gain anything buy using the 1GB card unless you have different maps on it.

Ask a Question