New TomTom Home

Well, I'm finding that 2.8 crashes everytime I plug in my XXL 130. Actually, I see it tries to start up 2.7 according to the splash screen. Tried to DL and install 2.8 directly from the web site; guess I'll try uninstalling first.

Revo Uninstaller looks like a handy program...thanks for the tip.

I ran the lowest level of the uninstaller (the one that just runs the regular program uninstaller), and no difference. I figure I'd step up through the various levels of scans. One question, though: would this affect the lifetime maps subscription? I have no clue as to whether that's a registry entry or the device itself contains the necessary info.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. I misreported my model above: I've got a 540, not a 130. I should read my sig more carefully.

Wiping Home won't hurt your subscription. Just be sure you remember your login and password for the TomTom site. The server remembers what's owed to you based upon the serial number of your unit, which Home grabs and sends to the server even on a new install of Home.

Back in business again...thanks, all. I was amazed to see that Revo Uninstaller found some 456 items to scrub on the deep scan. I was under an impression that "stuff" got left behind, but I had no idea it was so much.

So...to return to the original question: I'm not seeing any obvious change myself in the new update.

There is a new version for TomTom Home 2.8.1.2218
Anyone notice any difference? So far I don't see anything major

Yes, I notice two things the date is now 2011 and I can?t uncheck the App update.
I wish to stay on App 8.371 for my GO 740 but the new home keeps downloading App 9.058 which gives me the 1506 error on traffic.

I had to update to the new version of HOME yesterday (was on 2.7xxx). After updating the device, I noticed when looking at my firewall icon on my sys tray that something was downloading. Yep, it was the newest version of HOME. A pop-up says a new critical update (HOME) needs to be installed. When I canceled or closed, HOME program closed before I could safely disconnect my device. (Didn't want to go ahead and install new version with device still connected in case there was a problem with new vers.). I had to restart HOME and before the update pop-up, I was able to safely disconnect. When is TomTom going to get the 'housekeeping' right with writing software? :mad: :rolleyes:

I noticed there is no option in the newer versions of HOME to deselect check for HOME updates. I'd rather have that option to check when I want to check. Other than that, it seems the new 2.8 is working ok.

As was posted in another thread... https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...5167-cannot-de-select-application-update.html the newest version of HOME (2.8) will NOT let you deselect any new application that happens to be offered. I just tested this with my TT 3rd edition ? which I purposely have kept on ver 7.xxx so I would not lose itinerary planning. It's grayed out with a check mark forced in the block. This is not good!! To test it, with my 3rd edition connected, I unchecked the GPSQuickfix, and mapshares being offered, then clicked 'continue'. The next screen showed HOME downloading the newer app. I clicked cancel quickly, then HOME closed. Had to use the computer's safely disconnect device before turning off. With this version of HOME I can no longer get mapshare updates for my old unit without also taking the app update. The Quickfix is not a big deal to me. I've stopped getting those long ago as it's really not necessary.

I think TomTom is doing this so they can force new applications on us to stop any hacks that might have been added. Could be a problem for those who have added back functions to units with "dumbed down" menus. :eek:

I wonder... can you have 2 versions of HOME installed on the computer? Probably not. :confused:

Yes, I'm sure there used to be a tickbox you could use to stop Home looking for updates, but that's not there either.

So you can roll back to an earlier version, but (certainly with the previous version) it looks like it's going to insist on updating again every time you run it.

Hi all - a simple (but a little more work) way does exist to get around this forced update.

Most of us have software firewalls installed on our computers. Some firewalls are more easily configured then others.

For example; Avira (see avira.com) has totally free anti-virus software (for personal use.) Based in Germany. If you purchase the Premium Suite - this comes with a very easily configured firewall. You do have to turn off the Windows supplied firewall.

But using Avira firewall - I can easily select any program which I desire to have access to the Web or not.

Now, when you have allowed access to the web - I don't know how you would keep it from forcing the update. But, by selecting the firewall to not allow HOME to have access to the Web - you can run Home, and do stuff with your device connected to Home - and TT HOme will never ask you to update - because it does not see any update - since it is not being allowed access to the internet. Just a couple of quick mouse clicks - and you have access again...

Though as I'm writing this; I'm thinking about the fact that sometimes we want to be 'logged' in; etc. And what good is Home if you can't access the internet...

D

Hi David,

But if HOME can't access the web, how is it going to update your device? Maybe I'm missing something. I use ZoneAlarm ? which is pretty easy to configure, but HOME is useless unless it can grab updates for your device.

No Rick, your right.

I almost didn't post it; (take a look at my last couple of lines); but was thinking that possibly someone might have a suggestion to work with this one...

I prevent programs from updating all the time - by using the firewall. But those are programs which work just with themselves. Not a program which is supposed to be updating another device.

So, except Andy and his link... A couple of the posts were obvious caught off guard with Home attempting to update. Having the firewall set to not let home see the internet - stops the surprises. Then possibly we could just update the maps. But, you won't be able to do map share, etc. So, no point of Home if it can't connect. So you are correct.

D.

There is no way that TT's customers should have to scrabble about for some sort of work-around.

Even TomTom's own Customer Support staff often suggest that people return to an earlier software version to get round problems,

So whoever suggested this change in Home needs to have the issues explained to him, in no uncertain terms.

If the issue affects you, make sure TomTom get to hear about it directly.

If the issue affects you, make sure TomTom get to hear about it directly.
I've made my thoughts on the matter clear to TomTom myself (I prefer 9.054 to 9.058 on my 740), and it seems dhn gave them an earful as well on my behalf (and his own too, no doubt).

I just received this in an email from TomTom:

I apologize, it may be several months before we release a new software update for the GO 740 series of devices. We will not be restoring the ability to choose not to perform software updates in TomTom HOME. We removed this feature to ensure software updates are installed, we have no plans to change this.
Time to contact the Mass BBB since with the force update a paid service will not work AKA Live traffic.

I've made my thoughts on the matter clear to TomTom myself (I prefer 9.054 to 9.058 on my 740), and it seems dhn gave them an earful as well on my behalf (and his own too, no doubt).
Ok,

How did you do this Canderson? Did you call them or send an email? TT forcing folks to have to update to the latest application is unacceptable to me. If they insist on this, they will lose me as a customer next time I need a new GPS.

If it was email, can you share an address?

Thanks.

Ok,

How did you do this Canderson? Did you call them or send an email?
My contact was by phone - I find email isn't nearly so effective. Got tech and supervisor on at the same time. Tech had no idea that this most recent release was forcing firmware updates. While it had only been 36 hours or so since that version of Home was 'hatched' on us, I still find it absurd that the tech support folks weren't made aware that this was coming down the pipe.

Ask a Question