New Map, Postcode Search not working

Hi all,

I recently updated my map iaw the instructions. Not only has it deleted all my favourites (should've joined the forums earlier!!!) but most importantly, I cannot now search by Postcode. For example, if you enter a postcode (say LN4) it then takes you to a list of streets. The effect of this is that if you do not know the street address (the whole point of a postcode search) you cannot find your destination. Extremely frustrating.

Is this a glitch in my unit (One XL), or have Tom Tom messed up the software? Many thanks.

Welcome to the forum, connect your device to the PC and using Windows Explorer open the drive letter associated with your TomTom, look for a folder called "zip" if its present open the zip folder and are there any files in it? - Post back with the answer to the above and we can resolve this issue quite easily - Mike

Restore a backed up mapsettings.cfg file from a map folder to your new map folder using Explorer. Then connect to Home and goto Manage Favourites. Add one, delete one, edit one, doesn't matter. Then disconnect the unit properly from the computer using Home's Device Disconnect.

Your favourites should be back.

Welcome to the forum, connect your device to the PC and using Windows Explorer open the drive letter associated with your TomTom, look for a folder called "zip" if its present open the zip folder and are there any files in it? - Post back with the answer to the above and we can resolve this issue quite easily - Mike

I'm on a Mac, and when I open the 'Tom Tom Disk' there is no zip file

Reply to the PM I have sent you then we can get you installed with the latest Postcode file set - Mike

Been trying to pm you but it isn't letting me for some reason, outbox is showing as 0 messages. can you pm me again and I'll try to reply to the new one. Sorry for the faff.

I got all three PMs you sent and have sent an e-mail accross to the address you gave me which I would have thought you have received by now? - Mike

Thanks for all the help. tried lots of things with the file you sent but no joy. Think I will e-mail Tom Tom as it may just be a Mac thing - bloody annoying though, used Tom Tom for years and this is the first glitch

Fixed now. E-mailed Tom Tom and they basically told me to repeat the process above with a downloaded file from their support folks. Many thanks for all your help.

Strange the files I sent over didn't work though as they are the latest postcode files for the V850 map, if you have downloaded the "latest" postcode data from TomTom then you will only have V845 postcode data which is nearly 4 months old - Mike

Hi
Have a simular problem after downloading and installing the New Maps 850.2801, Post codes are incorrect. Only noticed it when i came to put my Home address back in the Rider, As one of the incorrect postcodes is my own, Contacted Tomtom was sent a zip file to replace the one in the folder, was still incorrect, Gone through every thing with Tomtom Support unable to rectify it, Was told i now have to wait 3 months for next update, Not Happy. Have even tried taking the Post Code Zip File from the Map verion 845.2647 (Previous Maps which i kept a copy of on a SD Card) and pasting the Zip file into the Folder on the Tomtom, The strange thing is that it has the correct post code when in Maps v845, but when put in Maps v850 it changes them to incorrect, ?????????/. Maps i have are Cental and Western Europe v850, APP 7.901. If any one can check there v850 (Post code DN69PE) in UK and see what Road it comes up with for me would be gratefull. On this DN69PE comes up as Grange Road should be Glebe Road, Sounds Daft but just want to confirm if its the Maps or Just Mine

Look in your zip folder on the unit and tell me what the .ver value is for the UK postal code file? If it is NOT 850, you can get the 850 version from here (link in the first post).

Hi all,

I recently updated my map iaw the instructions. Not only has it deleted all my favourites (should've joined the forums earlier!!!) but most importantly, I cannot now search by Postcode. For example, if you enter a postcode (say LN4) it then takes you to a list of streets. The effect of this is that if you do not know the street address (the whole point of a postcode search) you cannot find your destination. Extremely frustrating.

Is this a glitch in my unit (One XL), or have Tom Tom messed up the software? Many thanks.

Not a glitch I think. I just updated the maps on my Tomtom Rider 2 and EXACTLY the same snag. Come on TomTom; you are buggering up our Navigation!

Thanks for all the help. tried lots of things with the file you sent but no joy. Think I will e-mail Tom Tom as it may just be a Mac thing - bloody annoying though, used Tom Tom for years and this is the first glitch

I am having exactly the same probs and I use a MAC also... bloody TomTom seem to be Jurassic Windows cretins!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a glitch I think. I just updated the maps on my Tomtom Rider 2 and EXACTLY the same snag.

With respect, I don;'t think you have the same snag at all. From your topic here: TomTom Rider 2 post code problems it seems your problem is a software issue causing a missing space bar and not the postcode files themselves being missing.

I'm still investigating that problem and if you can supply the info I've asked for in that topic it will be a great help.

Ask a Question