New Info about Upcoming MyTomTom Features

TomTom Model(s)
Tomtom GO 2405TM
This info was posted today on GPSPassion.com: GpsPasSion Forums - [TOPIC] TomTom GO 2405, 2505 (USA) with MyTomTom

Some good news today, or at least some firm dates on the return of the missing features like external POIs, map updates and trip planning, this is an official statement TomTom released following a webinar that took place earlier this week :

In September 2010, TomTom committed to keeping users informed about the latest developments within ?MyTomTom? - TomTom?s new online interface. This update is part of that promise.

Features updates:
-> Latest Map Guarantee and Speed cameras will be available towards end of the year.
-> 3rd party Points of Interest will be enabled by end January 2011.
-> Latest Map Guarantee ? extended from normal 30 days to 90 days for the GO 1000 series and Via ranges.
-> Itinerary Planning will be available in Q2 2011, as part of a scheduled feature release.

We know that there are a lot of passionate users of our products and businesses? using our file formats and we greatly value their feedback, directly and also online via the forums. We are actively listening - and addressing - all productive views and comments where feasible.

Today we want to give more detail about our promise to enable 3rd party POI support. We are now able to communicate that we will put-in-place a web-browser based solution, served by the PND, for management of 3rd party POI content. Our goal is to have this offering in place by end January 2011.

In the future, we are planning to go further by making available easy editing and exporting tools for POIs and other kinds of content used on our devices.

TomTom is keen to continue to maintain productive dialogue (and exchanges) with the forum world via recurrent webinars if there is a need.

Very good to know this info now so I don't keep checking every day like a nutcase! :p

Thanks for the info. I'm reaching out to my Tomtom contacts for independent confirmation, since tomtomforums.com wasn't invited to the webinar.

I'll sticky this thread.

MVL, that was confirmed by several sources besides GPSPassion. PGPS took part in the invitation-only webinar presentation and posted details several hours earlier. I think I mentioned it somewhere here a couple days ago myself. They didn't specifically say that a compatible North American map update would release before the end of the year (nor was the question asked AFAIK), but there's no reason to think it won't with the EU maps promised before years' end.

Last edited:
MVL, that was confirmed by several sources besides GPSPassion. PGPS took part in the invitation-only webinar presentation and posted details several hours earlier. I think I mentioned it somewhere here a couple days ago myself. They didn't specifically say that a compatible North American map update would release before the end of the year (nor was the question asked AFAIK), but there's no reason to think it won't with the EU maps promised before years' end.

Agreed, I think we will see the 860 USA_Canada_Mexico map released for the 2405TM and 2505TM right along side the European maps for the GO 100X series. I am wondering why there is a delay with the maps for the new GO series though. Could it have to do with the Turbo Routes feature? Or could it simply be that they didn't create them in the new Webkit based software format as of yet?

Last edited:
Some did get map updates for their 1000, 1005, 2405 and 2505 units and then the updating process started to brick units for others who tried.

So they pulled the updates from their servers.

Damn it just bought a GO 1000

Hmmm, Jan 6 2011 and still no updates for my OCT 2010 purchased Aussie series GO1000.
So much for their promises!

Ken

Hi Ken,

Feel the pain. only if I cheked this forum. I watched a current affair program regardig GPS systema and it was all about TOM TOM being better than other systems. So I buy a TT Go 1000 and no speed cameras are displayed.

this is a basic requirement so I called australian support and the guy got my details and thats it. I asked him when do u think the updates will be available and they dont even care.

This is my first GPS and I am seriously thinking about exchaing it for a My75T navman. which has pretty much the same features plus more.

Regards,
Ranga from Melbourne:mad:

I have had my 2505TM for over a month. This is my 4th TomTom and the 1st one I had a problem with !
I was shocked to find that all the advertised features were not available after I purchased it .
After talking to their tech guys it appears the main problem is that they switched from Windows to a Linux file system which is incompatible with their TT Home interface.
They assured me that the end result will be a superior system but it could take a few months to complete everything.
I thought I would take it back and wait for the finalization but you can't find one anywhere so I decided to keep it.
No multiple waypoints is a problem for me. They assured me it was coming !
I talked to one tech lady who should be fired. She swore there was no issues and lacked any knowledge of the unit !!

I can't say what I want to say in reference to what they are telling you but think excrement from an animal with horns :eek:

TomTom has ALWAYS had a linux operating system for all models, not just the 2505 model.

It is one of the first models that forces the user to use a web based My Home 3 interface and that is buggy.

It's not meant to rub your nose in it BUT if you had some some checking around on forums (such as this one) you would have been aware of all the limitations (and more) you are currently experiencing.

For what it is worth, custom ov2 files are supposedly promised by the end of January, and Itinerary Planning 'sometime' in 2011.

That said, early purchasers did finally start getting map updates .... only to find that many had their units bricked in the installation process with no way the user could fix it. So, TT pulled the updates from their servers.

'Patience is a virtue', I guess.............

But the magnetic mount is nice, eh? :rolleyes:

After talking to their tech guys it appears the main problem is that they switched from Windows to a Linux file system which is incompatible with their TT Home interface.
Well their tech guys have a really good handle on the product range, every TomTom PND since the original Go-Classic has used Linux as the base OS, the 2405 is no different in this respect.

The issue is the poor capability offered by the "MyTomTom" interface, in addition to this the device itself leaves a little to be desired with a highly reflective screen, poor response to screen taps coupled with far less capability in terms of features than any previous PND they have sold IMHO. Ok so its got the "Instant Routing" data stored in the map data but in reality this isn't "instant" in use, sure its faster than the earlier units but hardly ground breaking - Mike

In a way, I think it will be good for Tomtom that they locked down their system. Tomtom's built horrifically buggy devices and a similarly buggy HOME interface over the past 2 years, and they probably don't realize how many owners turned to forums like ours to fix or workaround all these bugs.

With their lockdown, we're not going to be able to make up for Tomtom's deficiencies any longer. For example, I think far fewer owners are having map troubles on the App 10.x devices than on the 9.x devices. But we can't fix the 10.x map issues, and Tomtom needs to warranty swap every last one of them. So Tomtom pulls the updates and has to actually fix the problem.

Tomtom's in for a rude awakening when they have to own all their mistakes, and many of the forum moderators have contacts in Tomtom and we have warned them about what their getting themselves into. But, this should finally shine a light on their idiotic policy of releasing products with a high level of known unresolved bugs.

Yup, we're in for lots of delays and missed deadlines as Tomtom makes the transition to owning and fixing their problems, but hopefully we end up with higher quality products at the of it all.

Custom POI download available via MyTomTom as of today

According to some users in our forum POI download via MyTomTom is available as of today after installation of a new application 10.110.632670.74 (0) ( 1027,25.1.2011 ) BS 629985.

Oskar

Last edited:
Thanks Oskar!

That would make a nice Valentine's Gift to a lot of members here ......... both those with 1x and VIA models as well as North Americans with 2x units.

"One small step for TomTom users, one large step for TomTom, the company" :D

I'd also recommend rechecking all the bugs below, I suspect many (maybe all) have been fixed.

Only thing is currently you have to add each category separately and you have to use the pre-installed sounds/voices 'cause custom *.ogg files are not (yet?) supported - but better than nothing.

Oskar

So keeping this sticky updated:

On February 14, Tomtom released a software update. The key change is that custom POI computer uploads are now available.

So the current update status is:
- Latest map guarantee: Map updates to version 860 were offered in mid-December and then pulled. Map 865 is due in February.
- Speed cameras: Single download of fixed cameras occurred at the end of January. Temporary cameras are updated over-the-air for LIVE models
- Custom POI computer-loading: Enabled with app 10.110 on February 14
- Itinerary Planning: promised for Q2 2011, as part of a scheduled feature release. This promise was made in September 2010, with no further update on the status

Speed Cameras

I just received my GO 2505TM. Does this mean that safety camera updates will no longer be free? It would be nice to get some clarification because not very long ago TomTom was alone in offering unlimited free safety camera updates to all of their units that supported this feature.

In Europe, speed cameras were always a paid feature. Tomtom has said that LIVE devices in Europe will continue to get weekly updates, and non-LIVE devices won't. I expect that over time, non-LIVE devices will be allowed to purchase speed cameras in Europe.

In North America, speed cameras were always free (for devices that had them). Tomtom says speed cameras aren't available yet on the USA website, although Americans got the January speedcam download too.

While Tomtom hasn't said anything, I think things will be "business as usual" once Tomtom builds recurring speedcam downloads into the MyTomtom server. Europe will require a speedcam or LIVE subscription, North America will be free. But we'll have to wait and see.

And this is the way it looks like (sorry, it's German):
poid.gif

Oskar

So the 'Favoriten' ov2 is your file, Oskar, while the 'Favorites' is the built in from TomTom?

Ask a Question