My TomTom Xl n14644 is showing data that isn't there.

I'm having problems with my TomTom XL. It's new so I tried to update the map that was in it, bad idea, I didn't realize that i had to remove the old one before I added the new one. When I realized that I would not have enough space to finish loading it, I aborted the install. There was another problem, however, no maps came up when I tried to turn it on afterwards. I went to "Home" and then "Manage My XL" and I discovered that it did not show any maps. My first thought was to scrap the whole thing and reformat, so I backed everything up on my computer. Then I thought I had better not mess it more than I already have.

This is what "Manage My XL" looks like after I removed everything.
11gq9vd.jpg

This is what it looks like when I check the "TomTom" device properties.
5e5miv.jpg

This is what it looks like when I select all the files in the "TomTom" device.
261n32o.jpg

Notice the difference between the second picture and the third. I think some file must of become corrupt.

Now I have a couple of questions.

1. Will formatting my TomTom invalidate its warranty
  2. What settings should I use if format it?
  3. How do I re-install the actual data back into the TomTom device once I've formatted it

I've had it for literally less than a week and I loved it the short amount of time I had it.

If you actually downloaded the new map, it'll be found here:

c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

Use Explorer to make sure you see it there.

If so, you should be ok, the rest of the stuff you need can be downloaded for free...........

So:
1. Yes, for what it is worth, use Explorer to backup what's on the unit.
2. Format the unit. Don't use quickformat and no, formatting doesn't void a warranty.
3. See the information here on how to install a map without using Home:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

4. Once that is done, disconnect the unit properly from the computer using the Hardware Device icon in the notification area.
5. Restart the unit and connect to the computer. Start Home.
6. It should see you are missing an application and offer to install. Do so.
7. Disconnect the unit from Home using the Device Disconnect icon on the bottom right of Home's screen.
8. Restart the unit. Is it ok? If so, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

If you actually downloaded the new map, it'll be found here:

c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

Use Explorer to make sure you see it there.

If so, you should be ok, the rest of the stuff you need can be downloaded for free...........

So:
1. Yes, for what it is worth, use Explorer to backup what's on the unit.
2. Format the unit. Don't use quickformat and no, formatting doesn't void a warranty.
3. See the information here on how to install a map without using Home:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

4. Once that is done, disconnect the unit properly from the computer using the Hardware Device icon in the notification area.
5. Restart the unit and connect to the computer. Start Home.
6. It should see you are missing an application and offer to install. Do so.
7. Disconnect the unit from Home using the Device Disconnect icon on the bottom right of Home's screen.
8. Restart the unit. Is it ok? If so, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.
It said that windows was unable to complete the format.

With the unit connected to the computer, highlight the drive in Explorer, right click, properties, tools, check for errors...

I'm sorry for being such a newb but I'm having more problems. My tomtom won't update its application when I go to update my device.

Last edited:
If Windows can't complete the format, then there's probably something physically wrong - either a bad drive or a bad cable.

But first, can you hold the power button forever on the unit until a black screen with white text shows up? What does it say after "bootloader"?

If the bootloader is 5.5128, then you have buggy software, post back and we'll give you fix instructions.

If the bootloader is anything else, then it's most likely a hardware issue. Try a different cord or different jack on your computer. But you need to be able to format it in Windows with quickformat disabled, and no errors. Otherwise the physical hardware is likely damaged and nothing else will work reliably.

Ask a Question