My new GO 2505TM

TomTom Model(s)
GO 2505TM
Hi all!

I was looking for a GPS with BlueTooth and I first got the Garmin 265W for 115$. Not a bad unit but I wasn't impress... my 2008 MIO Knight Rider has so many more features and better screen resolution/refresh.

Anyway, I returned the unit and decided to get the TomTom GO 2505TM (on sale at 249$ instead of 299$).

Yeah I've paid 150$ more but at least first impressions is much better now! Features are impressive, screen resolution and refresh is great and hands-free quality is good.

Plus free maps for life and free traffic, that's good. (I received the TomTom email).

IQ Routes gives me 2-3 routes to get back home which feel strange at start but it's all right. French Quebec girl Julie speech and TTS is excellent too.

Traffic is great too, altought data here in Montreal doesn't seems to be 100% accurate. BTW, it report a block road every evening on my way back home and ask me if I want to change. But there is no road block... anyway to report/remove false traffic entry so I won't ask me again every day?

I'm little disappointed too with the "MyTomTom" apps/website, has is seems to be still at a "beta" stage. Like when I choose US on the website, it see a GO 2505, but on Canada (en) or (fr), it see a GO 1005.

I'va also experienced some "bugs" with my phone paired, like random duplicate entry in the phonebook (like here, or hands-free not enabling while dialing or people cannot hear me. But my Sony-Ericsson was also really messy with my Jeep UConnect. I've switched to a Motorola V3t and give it a try this week.

Hands-free is the most important feature for me, it's mandatory in Quebec and I'm driving my 2004 Toyota Echo during the week, so no UConnect.

Also, I managed to set a trip with multiple waypoints, I read someone else who said it wasn't. Set your destination, modify the trip, tap lower right "pass by" (french trans) and that's it, you add the waypoint.

I'm missing one thing but I think there is a bug. My MIO did display the door numbers while rolling on a street, so you knew approx how much numbers was remaining. On the advanced settings, the first check is checked but I don't see the number. Bug?

We should start a tread "GO 2x05 bugs/suggestions to submit to TomTom", what do you think?

For info, my unit runs app 10.040.584798.31 with maps USA/CANADA/MEXICO v855.3051 and MyTomTom report the unit is up to date.

I have 25 more days to try mine, I'll give it a chance.
Laurent

Last edited:
You can't delete a traffic message so if the same jam is showing every day the only real option is to ignore it.

The MyTomTom PC interface is nothing short of a joke, it would need serious improvement to even get close to Beta test, at the moment its in Alpha phase as there is far more that doesn't.

As for the device being up to date, map V860 was released about two months ago, the map on your device is at least five months old so its not up to date - Mike

BTW, it report a block road every evening on my way back home and ask me if I want to change. But there is no road block... anyway to report/remove false traffic entry so I won't ask me again every day?

Check if the error is on the vendor feed here. If so, contact them via this page to see if they can fix it.

I'va also experienced some "bugs" with my phone paired, like random duplicate entry in the phonebook (like here, or hands-free not enabling while dialing or people cannot hear me. But my Sony-Ericsson was also really messy with my Jeep UConnect. I've switched to a Motorola V3t and give it a try this week.

Call Tomtom about this, they are constantly enhancing the GO 2505, and the more calls they get about an issue, the more they'll prioritize a fix.

I'm missing one thing but I think there is a bug. My MIO did display the door numbers while rolling on a street, so you knew approx how much numbers was remaining. On the advanced settings, the first check is checked but I don't see the number. Bug?

I think you're doing the "house numbers before street setting". All that does is switch from "123 main street" to "main street 123", to adjust to different country standards.

I think you're doing the "house numbers before street setting". All that does is switch from "123 main street" to "main street 123", to adjust to different country standards.
Ok so you mean that this check will only reverse the order, like when I'm looking at an address while planning a trip BEFORE driving right?

What I'm looking is REALTIME street address display, while I'm driving. Look at this video, same Mio GPS as mine, at 1:15m, you will see what I mean, lower center, you will see that street address change while rolling.
YouTube - Knight Rider GPS

As for the device being up to date, map V860 was released about two months ago, the map on your device is at least five months old so its not up to date - Mike
Well, MyTomTom report I'm up to date??? Also, I didn't received an email from TomTom saying there is an update (my lifetime map email confirmation said that). Any way to manually install maps?

Whatever, I'm mostly keeping the unit, overall, I like it. Lot of good things, just the quality of the screen it's so clear and sharp! I tried with polarized glass this morning, it's all right. If the unit is right in front you, it will dim a little but if the unit is angled, it's doesn't.

And all the extras like the first aid, car repair, country and by-laws guides, nice idea.

But God sake, this unit is "smart"! For example, below ~5-10 km/h, the phone button on-screen shows the phone menu with phonebook and others. Also, tapping screen shows the "settings" button in center.

Over ~10 km/h, the phone button automaticly calls home (really annoying) and when tapping screen, the settings button is changed with "disable vocal instructions"!!! Gosh, I can't believe that the GPS adjust settings according to speed!

Oh and my Motorola V3 seems to works much better than my Sony-Ericsson, which I doubt. It answers everytime, people hear me fine and it doesn't disconnect.

Now I will try to contact the TotalTraffic, thanks for the link!

Tomtom models do not show the street numbers as you are driving by them.

Your map is not up to date but, for the moment, there is no way to get them as TT has pulled map updates from their 2405, 2505 (and 10x models) servers since many users were finding bricked units and or lost maps during the update with no user way to correct them.

There is no way to manually install maps on your model since there is no user access to the file system.

Tomtom models do not show the street numbers as you are driving by them.

Your map is not up to date but, for the moment, there is no way to get them as TT has pulled map updates from their 2405, 2505 (and 10x models) servers since many users were finding bricked units and or lost maps during the update with no user way to correct them.

There is no way to manually install maps on your model since there is no user access to the file system.
Really?!?!? Hum... doesn't look good. Brick means kill I guess? I means, if an update from the manufacturer kill my GPS, it's doesn't inspire confidence right?

And for the street number not showing, well well, I'm really sad too. I means, the advanced settings clearing say "Show house number befoe street name". This was one of the nice feature I liked from my Mio. Maybe we could suggest that to Tomtom, I'm sure it's easy to implement.

Another quick question? Where can I see my altitude? The GPS status shows the coordinate but not altitude. And can we check the altitude of a X place on the map too?

Hum... I still have time to return the thing. But I don't like Garmin look and feel that much and I don't want to buy another "cheap" unit like my Mio who doesn't get supported after (no map update after 2008)...

Any recommendations?

Tomtoms do not show altitude. There are 3rd party apps that can work on pre 2400 and 2500 series models.

I still have issue with this unit... I'm about the write at email to TomTom with a full report of it. See this post:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...uggestions-here-go-1000-1005-2405-2505-a.html

In general it's a good unit will lots of pros but the cons and lack of support aren't inspiring confidance in the product. I know TomTom is a reputable company and I means I'm sure they will at some point get for fixes but when and how far for the 2x05, unless they just release a new model with issues fixes?!?! Who knows...

I have 2 more week to "try" before to get refunded at Future Shop. Costco offers the Garmin 1490LMT for the same price I've paid the 2505TM, 249$... not sure.

Ask a Question