Just bought a GO 2505TM - password lock?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 910
Hi guys,

My first generation GO910 was giving me problems, so I went out to Best Buy last night and purchased the GO 2505TM as it was on sale. (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)

I spent a couple hours last night updating the unit to the latest maps. Once that was done, I started playing around with the menu's and features. The learning curve was quite simple, but there are some things I can't find or figure out yet:

- Where do I find the password lock? Is there one?

- Unlike my GO910 which connected to my computer and used TomTom Home, I don't know how to access the hard drive to load pictures, mp3's, voices, etc. This one just connected via MyTomTom in my web browser.

Also, I quickly discovered this unit doesn't come with a case or a remote, but I guess the voice command feature is kind of neat. I'm also considering getting a screen protector.

I'm still very new to this unit, so I'll start doing some reading on here.

My quick review based on my drive to work this morning:
I love the magnetized holder and connector! Awesome! I also like how the mount can be adjusted even while it's locked onto the windshield. (my GO910 was not adjustable when it was locked in!)
Overall unit is much lighter.
I love how it now tells you what side of the street your destination will be on as you get near.
Nice big screen, clear, volume is great, 3D view is cool, and I can now use a vehicle icon to replace the annoying arrow.
I'm not sure if the traffic features were working, as my drive to work is not that far.

Where do I find the password lock? Is there one?

Nope. Not on that model

Unlike my GO910 which connected to my computer and used TomTom Home, I don't know how to access the hard drive to load pictures, mp3's, voices, etc. This one just connected via MyTomTom in my web browser.

The user has no access to the file system on the 2X models. But when you connect the unit to the computer and have MyTomTom installed (which it seems you have), you should see an additional menu item in the MyTT desktop icon called 'Add Community Content' for adding custom 0v2 files, images, etc.

The model has no media capabilitity for playing mp3's.

Also, I quickly discovered this unit doesn't come with a case or a remote

A decent 5" camera case from BB should do ok. There is no remote functionality.

I'm not sure if the traffic features were working, as my drive to work is not that far.

Did you get the combo rds-tmc traffic antenna/car charger with the unit? Necessary for fm traffic.

Also, you NEED to log into the web based MyTomTom site to register the unit. Do NOT use the same email address you used for the 910. Doesn't even have to be real just in the proper aaa @ bbb.com format.

Also, when registered, you NEED to click on the green MyTomTom box on the WEBSITE and you should see an option to enter the activation code. That will be for the lifetime maps if you do indeed have the M model. The code should be on a card in the package of materials saying 'do not discard'.

Hi dhn,

Thank you for the thorough reply!

Now I have some concerns.

Before I plugged it in, I followed the instruction card that says to go to the MyTomTom website (I can't remember the exact website, as the box is at home right now).
Once I got to the website as indicated on the card, I plugged in the unit, signed in using my one and only TomTom account from when I was using my GO910.
From there, I did all the updates which took a couple hours and that was it!

I don't think any additional software was installed into my computer, as everything was done through my web browser. I will have to check again later.

I went through the box last night and I don't recall seeing any 'do not discard' documents or anything like that. I will have to check again later when I get home.

Yes, I have the combo rds-tmc traffic antenna/car charger.
It says so when I have it plugged into the car and turned on.
It also has the oval black piece within the cord etch with "TomTom' on it.

Should I register a new account when I get back to the MyTomTom website, or is it okay using an existing accountwhich was associated with GO910? GO910 used TomTom Home and I never used any website to update that unit or anything like that in the past.

I've been reading through these forums after my first post this morning. Seems like there are battery issues known to this unit?! Is this something I should be concerned about and maybe consider adding the Best Buy replacement coverage to my device?

Thanks for your help!

You should not be using the same email address for 2 models. Call CS to straighten that issue out and also to query about no validation card in the box.

Without an association of your unit's serial number to the lifetime maps on tomtom's servers, you'll not be offered further maps for the unit, even though you paid for the functionality.

So call CS at 866-486-6866 and they can ensure on their end that the unit is registered for the maps.

dhn,

Thanks for you all your help and guidance.
I will call TomTom to clarify everything later on today, if not, then next week.

Any ideas or advice with regards to the battery concerns I've been reading about?

Would it be a good idea to get the Best Buy replacement protection plan? Your thoughts?

Thanks!

I can't suggest one way or another .......especially since I don't know how much the Extended Plan is for and if it even covers battery replacement.

The batteries on the N.10X models are not as robust as those on earlier models, if I can generalize but not all owners have issues.

I bought my 2505TM from Amazon last December and there was no card or anything in the box regarding the lifetime map updates. I have been getting them w/o issue through My TomTom, so maybe the TomTom servers know by serial number that you have lifetime maps when they manufacture the units?

I had the battery issue on my original unit and when I got replacement from TomTom it came with nothing, but it updated the map to latest when I connected it to My TomTom as well.

edit - okay I found the card, but all it says is connect to My TomTom to get latest maps for your device. No code or anything required......

Last edited:

Ask a Question