McDonald's - 1.7

Cleveland, OH
Cincinnati, OH
Sandusky, OH
Louisville, KY

Many thanks! Some of these may already be included in your file, just berate me as necessary. :)

Tried to run Dumpov2 in windows explorer (from a UK forum)- it did not work. Tried to run Dumpov2 in DOS. Did not work- got an error message: "Record type unknown in this version of Dumpov2"

Tried a couple of other programs (Poimanager, WINOV2). Got the same type of error message.

Does this mean the Tomtom is using two different record formats in the POI files? One that anyone can access and one that is proprietary or encripted in some way.

Howie

Did not work. Still searching for a way. Did find a website that claims to convert Garmin POI to Tomtom POI www.poieditor.com
TomTom has given us a way to add our own POIs via ov2 files. They are not about to let us decrypt their proprietary no-address-included database. :) If you look at your TomTom North America or USA & Canada directory, you'll notice there's no ov2 files there. Somehow TomTom cobbles their "standard" POIs from the various files in the directory. So there's ov2 file for you to run dumpov2 on.

I just wish more companies would release even text files of their locations. Of course, that's giving away company-sensitive data, and most are understandably reluctant to do that. I guess we have to get by on what we have. :)

I've added Maine to the list. Sorry Martin, I've added the locations you gave me but there were already included. Doesn't hurt to try.

File is at original post.

How to download poi's from TomTom Home?

Hello,

I just bought a TomTom ONE and I was trying to download the McDonald's poi zip file. I saved the file to my \My Documents\TomTom\Downloads file. How do I transfer the file to my device. The TomTom Home does not recognize the file, and there are no instructions on how to download new poi's.

Thanks,

Tim.

I just got back from my tour of the midwest US riding rollercoasters, from northern Ohio down to Bowling Green, Kentucky. I didn't grab all the POI files, just a few like McDonalds and Subway. What a HOOT! I love being able to drive down the interstate and know that there's a McDonalds available a mile off the road (invisible to drivers but shown on the TomTom)! This is surely the way of the future.

MANY thanks to you Pedro, and anyone else who has helped produce these files.

You?re welcome!
I happy to hear positive feedbacks on the POIs.
The only negative feedback I would have on the POIs is that some of the icons are easy to read and some are not. McDonalds is a no-brainer, nice golden arches on red. But Subway and Holiday Inn Express look similar to each other, and neither is really readable. Maybe for Subway use most of the S, the u, and most of the b from the logo, and for HIE use the "icon" above the words?

Of course, most this should be moot with version 7. And regardless, it's nice to have ANY icons that are not generic. :)

Ask a Question